Latest VPC-Z1/330M Drivers for the BIOS Hack People

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by ComputerCowboy, Aug 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mesenzio

Mesenzio Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Ok, I gave a quick run to the Quadro drivers and I have the same issue as smokinglala and cannot control the brightness from the charm menu. For the rest they seem to work just fine, but checking on software such as Adobe After Effects the card is still not recognized as a Quadro.

I also removed the HKR,,DDIBacklightControl line from the nvcvq.inf file but with no success.

Now, I downloaded the 334.89 drivers but the patcher says '0 lines patched' both in VGA and 3D Vision. Am I forgetting something really basic or did something change since 332.21?

2. ComputerCowboy

ComputerCowboy Sony Fanboy

Reputations:
    Something may have changed, I'll take a look at it and make a revision if necessary.

Mesenzio likes this.
  3. Mesenzio

Reputations:
    You are awesome!:)

4. ComputerCowboy

Reputations:
    I have updated the patch and the first page of this post to work with the new drivers, seems like nVidia decided to change the file names again, not sure why.

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2015
  5. Mesenzio

Reputations:
    Fantastic! All that in 20 minutes! Considering that Sony doesn't upgrade the drivers since 2010 makes you think...

Anyway, the new patcher works perfectly, I just installed the 334.89 drivers and no issue so far.

6. ComputerCowboy

Reputations:
    I'm glad you like it. It was a very simple tweak. Only a couple of lines of code. I just had to account for the new file names whilst maintaining the backward compatibility with the old ones.

7. Blahman

Blahman Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    FYI I saw NVIDIA announced that 300 series and older GPUs are considered EOL as of release 340: EOL driver support for legacy products

Was a good run while it lasted. I don't think I'll ever find anything to satisfactorily replace my Z12. :(

8. ComputerCowboy

Reputations:
    I am not terribly concerned about EOL on products like this. The new drivers will continue to support the 330M it is just that they won't be putting any code in that will enhance the performance of this chip. You'll still get some of the new benefits of new drivers, like maybe new control panel layouts and stuff like that.
    I agree about replacing the Z12, not possible. The best thing out there right now is the Pro 11 or Pro 13. They are great, but they are not a Z1. I love my express card slot hooked up to my ViDock, I love the Intel 6300 card and third antenna, I love the Intel SSDs that I swapped in place of the Toshiba drives. My Z12 is so tweaked out and customized, there probably will never be another laptop built like this that you can tweak like this. The Z2 couldn't do all this stuff. I really do like that Pro 11 though, one of my best friends just got one on my recommendation and it is really sweet. The IPS display is nice, the weight is nice. The track pad is crap, but I always use a BT mouse anyway.

As far as EOL and EOS products, I love them. My home network consists almost entirely of corporate retired Cisco Aironet gear and retired Sony IPELA security cameras. I even have an old Nortel Baystack PoE 48 port managed switch. Using all this old gear with PoE is awesome. I have a new HP Gigabit managed switch that is powered off the PoE up-link to the main switch. Do I care that I have no warranty or software support on my gear, not really. I write all sorts of my own programs to run my network via direct serial control or SNMP. I can view the health of my wireless network, view live streams from the IPELA cameras, I can pretty much manage every aspect of my network from anywhere in the world. I love the fact that some of this hardware is considered obsolete. I have so many Cisco access points in my house that I am covering every single non-overlapping channel in both the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz bands. The 5Ghz N is fast enough that I can stream a 3D Blu-ray to my Z12 and play it out on my projector.

Sometimes some of the newest latest greatest gear is good to buy. I got my Z12 brand new in 2010 and it still has a lot of life in it. Heck I still use my UX490N which I bought brand new in 2007 for way too much.
    The brand new thing I really want now is one of the Cisco 4x4 Multi User MIMO 802.11ac access points, 1.3Gbps wireless! Probably slightly overkill for my house, but hey, why not have a $1K corporate grade AP in your living room?

9. zenford

zenford Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The 4.7 patcher does not start on my Z1 as the 4.6 also? Simply crashes though 4.6 did work when it was released. Win8.1 Pro german.

No idea what's suddenly wrong.

p.s. how can i undo the Bios patch if i d'like to?

10. ComputerCowboy

Reputations:
    I'd love to fix this for you... but I need more info. Is there an error when it crashes? Can you post a screen shot?

anytimer likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.