Latest VPC-Z1/330M Drivers for the BIOS Hack People

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by ComputerCowboy, Aug 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ComputerCowboy

ComputerCowboy Sony Fanboy

Reputations:
    ^ So is the Intel adapter also present in the Device Manager?

2. shurcooL

shurcooL Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    XP only supports static switching, so you get one adapter at a time. GeForce GT 330M on Speed, and Intel HD graphics on Stamina. You never get both simultaneously.

3. ComputerCowboy

Reputations:
    so when you use XP it operates like you have the BIOS hack... interesting

Why do you run XP?

4. shurcooL

shurcooL Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Using the bios hack, you change vga switching policy from Auto to Static. If you leave it on Auto, then it becomes Dynamic when you're using Windows 7 and Static if you're using XP.

I use XP because it suits my personal preferences better. It runs modern windows applications that I care about (e.g. Chrome) no different than Windows 7, but it's a little lighter on resources (faster, less ram usage). I'm not a fan of some Windows 7 UI changes, and I suppose I can survive without the actually good ones. But most of all, I really really dislike how crappy the Sony utilities for Windows 7 are (the XP ones aren't great, but slightly lesser of the two evils).

5. ComputerCowboy

Reputations:
    Are you using x64 XP at least?

I tired to install x64 XP on my Z one time and it wouldn't go on there.

6. shurcooL

shurcooL Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    No, Windows XP and 64-bit don't mix. The driver and application support is almost non-existent. You'd be shooting yourself in the foot trying to do it. If you need 64-bit, Widows 7 is the only way to go.

That said, I only have 4 GB of RAM here, so using a 32-bit OS is not a significant bottleneck. Plus XP itself uses somewhat less RAM than 7.

7. lovelaptops

lovelaptops MY FRIENDS CALL ME JEFF!

Reputations:
    I added a patch application and source code to the main post for download! Enjoy!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ComputerCowboy [​IMG]
    ADDED WPF Patch Application Source Code and Binaries
    VAIO_Z1_330M_INF_Patcher.exe
    VAIO_Z1_330M_INF_Patcher.src

The exe is super easy to use. Just download the latest nVidia notebook driver and try to install it. This won't work obviously but it will extract the files to "C:\NVIDIA\"
    Then all you have to do is run the patch exe and click the apply patch button. Then you can browse to the setup.exe for the driver and the install will run fine. You will need the .net Framework Version 4 installed on your computer for this to work. You can get it on Windows Update

The included source code is written using Visual Studio 2010 SP1. It should be simple enough to follow. All the action happens in the code-behind file called "MainWindow.xaml.cs"

Your .exe file couldn't have been easier. I updated the .net Framwork Version 4, downloaded this:

Version:

280.26 <sup>WHQL</sup>

Release Date:

Operating System:

Windows 7 64-bit, Windows Vista 64-bit

Language:

English (U.S.)

File Size:

183 MB

I ran your executable. updated my GMA HD drivers (once tried to install the 280.86 and it said I needed to updated the Intel GMA HD drivers), and still, I got, for the 10th time "cannot find compatible hardware; installation will be stopped."

Thoughts. Again, this is without a BIOS hack. Thanks

It is write in C#, I wrote it quick and dirty, simple as pie.

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2015
  8. ComputerCowboy

Reputations:
    Are you saying it works for you without the BIOS hack? I am a little confused by your post.

9. anytimer

anytimer Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    lovelaptops: if you want to do this without the BIOS hack, you will be running in Optimus mode on hybrid graphics. To do this:

1. Uninstall existing drivers, both of them. Reboot and repeat, until device manager shows 2 vga compatible devices, one of which has an exclamation mark showing it has a problem.
    2. Clean the system of nVidia files using driversweeper or nfr
    3. Install the Intel driver.
    4. Install the nVidia driver using a modded inf.
    5. Reboot.

Note: there are unresolved issues with this approach, as mentioned earlier. Power consumption being the worst - battery life is nearly halved.

10. ComputerCowboy

Reputations:
    What if you just disable the Intel adapter with the device manager, then install the nVidia drivers? would that function like a BIOS hacked "Static VGA" setup?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.