Latest VPC-Z1/330M Drivers for the BIOS Hack People

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by ComputerCowboy, Aug 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ComputerCowboy

ComputerCowboy Sony Fanboy

Reputations:
    I am going to write a program to patch the INFs
    I will release it and the sorcecode

basically all I do is look for the main device code for 330M and replace the trailing revision id with the one for our 330M

2. anytimer

anytimer Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Getting the section number right is a little tricky. Darn things change with each driver release.

3. ComputerCowboy

Reputations:
    it is easier than that

We don't care about making it work for other 330M... only ours
    so I just replace the original lines with ones that work for ours, I am coding up an automated patch right now

Once patched the driver will only work for the 330M in the Z1, it won't work for ANY OTHER 330M laptop.

4. anytimer

Reputations:
    These are the strings for my VAIO for 275.33:
    Code:
    [Strings]
    NVIDIA_DEV.0A2B.01 = "NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M      "     ;Sony     Vaio Z (VPC Model)

[NVIDIA_SetA_Devices.NTamd64.6.0]
    %NVIDIA_DEV.0A2B.01% = Section055, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0A2B&SUBSYS_905A104D  ;NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M   Sony     Vaio Z (VPC Model)

[NVIDIA_SetA_Devices.NTamd64.6.1]
    %NVIDIA_DEV.0A2B.01% = Section057, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0A2B&SUBSYS_905A104D  ;NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M   Sony     Vaio Z (VPC Model)

The section numbers tell the installer to copy a subset of the files included with the driver and enable a different set of features - different devices use different section numbers. The section numbers are different for each release. For 270.61 they were 045 and 059. This has me worried. :(

5. anytimer

Reputations:
    From a post I made at LV2go:

So if your code finds the section number for the GT 335M device mentioned above and simply uses that same section for the GT 330M, I think you're in business. More or less.

Please take everything I say under advisement (i.e. with a large pinch of salt). I'm just blundering about in the dark. For all I know I've confused you needlessly.

6. shurcooL

shurcooL Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I see, thanks for the explanation!

So basically all you're doing is making this change for all *.inf files, i.e. changing the SUBSYS_whatever to SUBSYS_905A104D (the subvendor string for GT 330M on Vaio Z1), for all lines that contain DEV_0A2B (the device ID of our GT 330M).

You are changing a lot of .inf files.

I guess this works, but I have a concern here... I mean, there are a lot of different manufacturers (Sony, Acer, Dell, Toshiba, etc.) using Nvidia GT 330M and the Verde drivers have sections for each one. You are making it so that all of them will be recognized as the Sony Z1 330M. But each section is slightly different if you look at them... There are small variations in registry entries, etc.

Maybe those differences aren't that important (I guess they're not if the drivers work fine), but still, wouldn't it be better to find one section that best resembles the one that would exist for Sony Z12 Nvidia GT 330M (i.e. device 0A2B and subvendor Sony 104D).

Right now I am comparing the differences between Toshiba 330M (device 0A2B, but different subvendor Toshiba) inf registry settings and the F1 Sony drivers (slightly different device ID 0A29, but same subvendor Sony) for F1 Nvidia GT 330M.

I know the 330M in F1 series (F1 = F11/F12, cuz F13 has GT 425M I think) runs at 575 Mhz core speed, unlike in Z1 which is underclocked to 475 mhz.

7. ComputerCowboy

Reputations:
    Yes my way is the American way, brute force, it works fine so I haven't worried about it. If it didn't work fine I would do it differently.

8. lovelaptops

lovelaptops MY FRIENDS CALL ME JEFF!

Reputations:
    I have had too much bad luck with BIOS hacks (call me weak in the knees if you must, lol, that I really need to see a substantial benefit to me to risk it.

Thanks very much. Of all the items, only improved audio would affect me, if it is really any better. What does concern me is that I did try to install 208.26 from the nVidia site, even after uninstalling the existing driver (also tried it without first uninstalling) and it keeps coming back: "unable to detect compatible hardware." Thoughts?

9. ComputerCowboy

Reputations:
    I added a patch application and source code to the main post for download! Enjoy!

10. shurcooL

shurcooL Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Fair enough. :)

I just want to report my success. I'm running Windows XP on VPCZ122GX/B, with a non-hacked BIOS. I was able to simply install the latest version of Nvidia drivers, after making a small change to one of the .inf files (a slightly less brute-force version of ComputerCowboy's approach; thanks for your help). I used the 0A29 subsection originally meant for Sony F11/F12 (SUBSYS_9067104D). Now I have OpenGL 3.3 support and (in theory) can do some awesome development! Another benefit is added support for screen rotation (original drivers didn't permit this for some reason).

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.