Latest VPC-Z1/330M Drivers for the BIOS Hack People

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by ComputerCowboy, Aug 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Profy_X

Profy_X Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanks CC I was just wonder when it would come also to NBR forum the new driver from nVidia but now it's here :D.The BIOS hack is still 3030C or do you have a new version?I'm not up to date with the BIOS realises :confused:

2. anytimer

anytimer Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I hate it when my post is the last post on the page - everyone starts reading the next page. :(

3. ComputerCowboy

ComputerCowboy Sony Fanboy

Reputations:
    The hacked ROM that was originally on my site was an older version, someone told me about it so I updated it to R3030C3

You should probably use yours. There will be differences between mine and yours, serial numbers, settings etc. The BIOS code will be the same but some of the values will be different.

Since you have gone through all the trouble to make your own just use that. I know that mine will work on other Z1's besides mine because a few users have flashed it and confirmed that it works.

4. ComputerCowboy

Reputations:
    I was actually reading and replying to your post then it got a little confusing, I have updated my post above with quotes to help clear things up.

5. anytimer

Reputations:
    Thanks. Now all I need is the nerve. ;)

6. ComputerCowboy

Reputations:
    Man up 10 char

7. shurcooL

shurcooL Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    ComputerCowboy, could you please tell me what changes you had to do to the original Nvidia drivers to allow them to be installed on a BIOS-hacked-static-switching Vaio Z1? I would like to be able to do this myself for future drivers, etc.

Also, I wonder, since I'm using stock (non-hacked) drivers and XP, the vga switching policy is probably set to Auto by default, but it becomes Static due to XP. I mean, I get exactly the behaviour you describe: changing from Stamina/Speed positions only has an effect during the next reboot.

So perhaps I can do install those drivers even without hacking my BIOS (something I prefer not to do).

Now if I could only get Clonezilla to work on a RAID0'ed Z1, I would be more free to try this experiment out...

8. lovelaptops

lovelaptops MY FRIENDS CALL ME JEFF!

Reputations:
    sorry to post a non-hack question here, but this is where the best and the brightest congregate. :D

Is there any advantage to upgrading nVidia drivers without a BIOS hack? I'm 3 drivers out of date and when I try to upgrade to 208.26 it says my z11 is not compatible, but I think I just need to uninstall the existing driver first. The question: is it even worth the bother with stock 330M and unhacked bios? What good will it do? Thanks

9. anytimer

Reputations:
    If you are running hybrid drivers now, you can install Optimus drivers. There are some unsolved issues, like increased power consumption, automatic brightness control doesn't work, etc., but you can install the latest drivers.

Check out this thread:
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/sony/342947-my-discoveries-vaio-z-s-hybrid-graphics.html

If the power consumption/decreased battery life bugs you too much, then this BIOS hack is just the thing for you.

10. shurcooL

shurcooL Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    In theory, there may be some small performance increases and bug fixes. In practice, this effect will probably be minor if any. Besides, 330M is an older video card, so it's less likely to receive significant improvement from drivers.

But in my case, the main reason I want to upgrade to later drivers is that while the 330M hardware supports up to OpenGL 3.3 standard, the stock drivers are so old that they only provide OpenGL 3.1. Also, there are a few new extensions like GL_NV_path_rendering that have been added in the more recent drivers.

I want OpenGL 3.3 so that I can do development work and use the latest version of the standard.

If all you're doing is playing video games, then you really don't care about it. Most games are DirectX, and those that are OpenGL will only need 2.1 to work.

In any case, just see the list of changes. If something there interests you, then you have your answer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.