Latest VPC-Z1/330M Drivers for the BIOS Hack People

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by ComputerCowboy, Aug 10, 2011.

1. ComputerCowboy

ComputerCowboy Sony Fanboy

Reputations:
    UPDATE 8/11/15: Version 4.8
    VAIO_Z1_330M_INF_Patcher.exe.v4.8.zip
    Bug Fix in Version 4.8
    Bug Fix in Version 4.7
    • Fixed program so that it will patch the latest 334.89 while retaining backward compatibility with older version drivers
      Thanks Mesenzio
    Bug Fix in Version 4.6
    • Fixed bug where patch would crash if it could not find the default nVidia folder
      Thanks Elrinth
    New Features in Version 4.5
    • Patches New Windows 8.1 Drivers (and older drivers)
    New Features in Version 4.4
    • Enable/Disable Test Mode with the click of a button
    • Automatic INF backup
    • Patch removal
    • Switch from 3D to VGA patch and back with ease
    • Launch nVidia Setup from the UI
    • Better looking UI
    • Console style log of everything you've done while running the program

KNOWN ISSUES / NOTES:

• This patch doesn't support Vista at all, it won't attempt to patch any INF sections related to Vista. I've never heard of anyone running Vista on their Z1.
    • Version 4 (and up) require Administrator privileges to run, this shouldn't be a problem as you probably own your own computer.
    • Windows 8.1 may have issues coming back from sleep on speed/nVidia mode. This issue may be present on Windows 7 and 8 also but I don't know because I've not tested those recently.
    • Fn keys will not adjust brightness on Windows 8 or Windows 8.1. As a workaround you may use the slider from the charms menu instead.
    • I have noticed that the VGA patch may not hold a connection to a VGA monitor or projector if it is the only display, a workaround for this is simply to duplicate the displays. This makes me wonder if the 3D Vision/HDMI patch will work the same way, I have yet to test it.

The exe is super easy to use. Just download the latest nVidia notebook driver and try to install it. This won't work obviously but it will extract the files to "C:\NVIDIA\"
    Then all you have to do is run the patch exe and click the apply patch button. Then you can browse to the setup.exe for the driver and the install will run fine. You will need the .net Framework Version 4 installed on your computer for this to work. You can also get it on Windows Update
    If you have Windows 8 you are all set, you don't need to get the framework.

Note you need the BIOS hack to run these drivers, switch the tri switch to speed. Make sure you set the BIOS up like the picture below "VGA Switching Policy" = "Static"

[​IMG]

I will do my best to update this post as new drivers arrive. I can even do the beta ones if you guys want them.

MY BIOS HACK EASY INSTRUCTIONS - This only seems to work for US VAIOs, if you have an EU or Asain Model see this post - NEW INSTRUCTIONS WINDOWS WAY by paul3000h <- send him some rep if his post works for you!
    I have made my pre-patched BIOS file available on my website

All you need do is download FreeDos, install it on a usb stick.
    Then unzip my files to the root of the USB stick
    Boot from the USB stick
    Don't change any boot options at this point (even though it says something about installing stuff on your hard drive it won't)
    Just hit enter at the first menu and enter again at the second menu
    then you are at a command prompt
    type "C:" hit enter
    then type "FLASH BACKUP.ROM /G" then hit enter to backup your BIOS
    then type "FLASH HACKED.ROM /F" to flash on my hacked BIOS

reboot go to the BIOS (F2) and setup Static VGA Switching Policy

I am not responsible for damages etc. If you want to do all the patching yourself look at the BIOS Hack thread

Last edited: Aug 11, 2015
  2. corrado85

corrado85 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    thanks!

how hard is it to flash the custom bios ?

3. ComputerCowboy

Reputations:
    It is not hard to flash, it is a little complex to make it.

4. anytimer

anytimer Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yes, laptops have their own power backup - if you're doing this on a desktop motherboard and there's a mains power glitch, you're dead meat. I used to switch off the mains power and make the UPS run on batteries while doing stuff like this.

Just make sure your batteries are charged - ComputerCowboy hasn't told us how long this process is expected to take. I expect I'll be trying this myself in the next few days. ComputerCowboy - expect to be bombarded with queries. ;)

5. ComputerCowboy

Reputations:
    It is pretty easy to run it, doesn't take long at all.
    I have added the instructions to the first post

6. bluebaloo

bluebaloo Newbie

Reputations:
    Thank you for your gift to the community and my Z12.

Until now happy with Nvidia; but using the latest intel hd graphics driver no output over hdmi (the screen is recognized and is under options within the control panel selectable)
    is this by design or do i have something misconfigured

Servus form Vienna - Austria

7. hxkclan

hxkclan Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The Vaio Z11, Z12, Z13 series all have the DVI/HDMI directly connected to the nVidia GPU. So you'll have to switch to nVidia for HDMI/DVI to work.

8. bluebaloo

bluebaloo Newbie

Reputations:
    You are right. With Nvidia HDMI is fine.

Thank You
    Servus from Vienna

9. ComputerCowboy

Reputations:
    Correct... using my method you MUST reboot into speed mode to use HDMI.
    Here is a little trick, once the computer is booted you can throw the switch to whatever mode you want for next boot. So you can be in stamina mode, throw the switch to speed, then reboot. The switch will do nothing once the computer is booted into a specific mode if you have Static VGA switching.

10. anytimer

anytimer Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hi ComputerCowboy,

I have a VPCZ115GG (with an HDD instead of SSD). I have extracted and patched the BIOS using the instructions in the BIOS hack thread. Python didn't report any errors at all while running the advanced_menu.py script.

Comparing my patched BIOS with the one downloded from your website, I notice several differences, some of which I have identified as being related to the model number and HDD/SSD option mentioned above.

So which BIOS should I use? Yours, or the one I extracted and patched?