Latest Prema for P150SM?

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by Zayne, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Zayne

Zayne Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Hi all,

It's been a 1-2 years since I finally updated the stock Clevo BIOS to Prema, for the main reason that the fans in this thing are absolutely ridiculous. It worked for a few months, but after that it returned to almost the same noise levels as what was happening with stock. At any rate, is there a way to re-flash the BIOS (specifically the fan profile one) so that I can see if it fixes it? The new Prema website changed since I last visited and it doesn't specify where I can download the latest version for my specific model.

After seeing how horrid the fans are in Clevos, I'll never buy another.

Thanks!

2. Prema

Prema Your Freedom, Your Choice

Reputations:
    Clean your system?!

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
  3. Zayne

Zayne Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I actually did - cleaned all the dust out and applied brand new GELID thermal paste, which did nothing sadly. I can't even load up Google Maps without the fans spinning up to 70-80% speed, not to mention how the speed revs up and down constantly even when idle. Got any other suggestions? I can't do anything on this thing anymore without hearing F-22 Raptor Scramjets in the room.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
  4. Prema

Prema Your Freedom, Your Choice

Reputations:
  5. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Prema BIOS does not help you here mate. Prema Bios is more oriented for people who want to get more performance out of their system rather than having a quiet notebook. In terms of fan profile clevo is the absolute worst. The best course of action here is to mod your cooling to the point where the system has no other choice other than to keep quiet, I have a P157SM so I know all to well how garbage the fan profiles are.

6. Zayne

Zayne Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Well, that's unfortunate. The Fan profiles that came with the Prema I installed a couple years back helped for a few months, but went back to almost as bad as it was with stock. The only difference now is that the fans never increase to 100% like they used to for no reason, and when gaming. I don't know if you've ever heard what I'm guessing to be 40-60 mm fans or smaller, but hearing those things speed up to 100% in this laptop are absolutely absurd.

As for modding the cooling, honestly how much can this thing possibly be modded, and what sort of mods are we talking about that would shut this thing up? It's not like there is space to plop in 120mm fans to replace the tiny, jet engine sounding fans for the CPU + GPU. Any suggestions?

Cheers!

7. Danishblunt

Reputations:
    You do not have to tell me, the fans are so insanely loud and to make things even worse are badly pitched as well to irritate your ears even more.Again, I have basicially the same notebook as you, I felt your pain, hence I did a severe cooling overhaul. Also I'm pretty certain your fans louder than stock due to prema EC in the first place. Due to terrible heatsink fit, Prema included an agressive fan profile in the EC to fight the terrible temperatures as well. You can use FN +1 to ramp them at 100% fan speed.

You need heatpipes... lots and lots of heatpipes.. Undervolting, lapping, Sealing airgaps, custom fans (you can steal multibladed fans from another product). To make my system shut up, I had to lapp the heatsink, use ICDiamond (liquid metal performs the same), sealed airgaps, replaced the fans with others which had more blades, CPU got another 2 heatpipes, GPU needed a shim to make good contact, 3 extra heatpipes, added more fins to the heatsinks at the vaporation point and I downloaded a Hotkey version that somehow controlled the fans better. It all ended up with a quiet and relatively cool notebook.

That being said, I had quite warm hardware in my ntoebook (OC 4940MX, highly OC GTX 980M), so you will likely get away with less modding. I'd say try to lapp your heatsinks, add proper thermal paste, undervolt, seal airgapps and see where you got from there.

8. Zayne

Zayne Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Is there guides anywhere to walk me through how to do all this modding, as well as where to buy all the necessary items? I have modded a lot of PCs (not for quite some time), but I have never modded a laptop, sadly.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
  9. Danishblunt

Reputations:
    Not as far as I know (at least not all), I guess I can give you some guidelines etc. via PM to see how far we get.