Latency Issues with XPS 15 9560

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by IndyPilot80, Feb 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I don't know. The audio in the 9550 & 9560 is a bit quirky.

So for hearing protection I 100% do not trust the laptop has automatically lowered headphone volume to the last known settings. FYI - I have had same issue with other brand laptops, including Mac...

2. Techland

Techland Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Obviously the spikes are not only the cause that you need to identify, they might also be caused by unique hardware in your laptop. Maybe you have a newer CPU where Dell still needs to release a BIOS update to support it properly. Or a different WLAN module than most others. Etc.

So far you seem to be the only one reporting such an extreme effect on a 9560. Something like this does not stay unnoticed, so what is different on your machine?

3. IndyPilot80

IndyPilot80 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Well, thats where I am stuck at. I dont know what is different on my machine. I did a clean install of Win10 but this issue was happening before the clean install and after.

Also, I'm not the only one with this issue. A couple people on reddit are experiencing the same.

4. Techland

Techland Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Then I would simply return it. Don't trust in Dell - you most probably get screwed..

5. IndyPilot80

Reputations:
    So, I just noticed something very odd. When I'm on my wireless network at work, latency is terrible. When I'm on wireless at home, I have no latency issues at all.

Could there be something on my work network causing issues?

6. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Do a search here on network cards - a common problem point. Maybe issues with certain routers or maybe when bluetooth is enabled. There are lots of causes and a few pontential fixes posted including:

Try disabling bluetooth.

You might try deleting and reinstalling the drivers.

Several people have changed their network cards.

7. IndyPilot80

Reputations:
    I think I may have found the problem but I'm not 100% sure. I think it may be the firewall. I'm using Windows 10 Firewall Control and I have it locked down pretty tight so my computer can't be seen or accessed on our Wifi. I think they network may be continually "pinging" my computer trying to get a reaction but its just slowing things down.

8. anichin

anichin Newbie

Reputations:
    pressing likes this.
  9. IndyPilot80

Reputations:
    Thanks for the info! I've tried this, along with just about every other fix people have found on the internet, and the issue always returns. The issue typically returns after putting the computer to sleep and then opening the latency graph again. Dell is sending me a new 9560 so I can see if the issue is with just the particular one I have.

10. flyingjam

flyingjam Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I had the exact same issue and it was fixed after I did a clean install of Windows and made sure to use the standalone killer drivers. Latency issues like this are almost always software based. I'm going to guess the new unit will work, but it's not because it has better hardware.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.