Latency Issues with XPS 15 9560

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by IndyPilot80, Feb 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IndyPilot80

IndyPilot80 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey everyone. New guy to the forum.

I purchased a 9560 that I've had for about a week. I'm having some pretty serious, and annoying, latency issues. I can't even listen to MP3s without some type of stutter or lag. This has pretty concerned since I'll be using this laptop for audio recording.

I ran LatencyMon and it have me the typical "It could be WLAN or power management related". I've also run DPC Latency Checker and I'll get a spike every 5-10 seconds. These spikes are when the stutter happens. This happens both when plugged in and on battery (worse when on battery).

The only thing that fixes it is turning off "Intel Speedstep" in the bios. But, then it locks it at 2.8ghz and it never boosts.

I've already done a clean install of WIN10 and installed the recommended drivers that I found on Reddit.

Any ideas? This is really frustrating not even being able to play a MP3 without stutter on a $2000 laptop!

pressing likes this.
  2. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    ** Latency battle notes with 9550 should provide you with a good framework:

http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/2601603/1.html

** Also see the SpeedShift and ThrottleStop threads here at NoteBookReview:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/dell-xps-speed-shift.796891/

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/the-throttlestop-guide.531329/

** C-states, Turbo intro:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/mus...-eist-speedstep-turbo-boost-core-parking.html

** ASIO drivers are #1 factor for reducing audio latency per publisher of this staggering audio interface benchmarking survey:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/mus...erface-low-latency-performance-data-base.html

3. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    In those links, you will find some tricks to get your CPU running at max turbo, bypassing SpeedStep AND disabling the "troublesome" C1E states. Those are important steps.

But there are a few more tricks you will find posted for you...

4. IndyPilot80

Reputations:
    Thanks for the info! I've already checked out a few of those threads before.

I'm looking for more of a "stock" solution. While I'm pretty comfortable with computers, I don't think I should have to jump thru hoops on a $2000 laptop just to listen to music without stuttering. I could kind of understand having issues with an external audio interface. But, the issues I'm having are with the built in audio.

I'm more hoping there is a simple driver or setting I'm missing as a last resort before returning this laptop.

Thanks again, though!

5. improwise

improwise Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    This is starting to sound very much like a repeat of the 9550 release...

Sent from my ASUS_A001 using Tapatalk

6. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    For general movies and music listening, I don't have any latency issues via the XPS' speakers or headphone out.

But I did kill the buggy "Maxx" program and reinstall the realtek audio driver. That is somewhat painful but there are posts on how to do it.

7. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The 9550 release was an unmitigated disaster in 2015. Absolutely early beta garbage. See the posts here for an idea of a failed release. And Dell finally recalled the "partner" TB15.

The 9560 release has had a few minor hiccups in comparison. Not perfect, but most of the XPS issues have been resolved.

8. IndyPilot80

Reputations:
    When you did that, does it still adjust the volume when you plug in the headphones? That's the only reason why I left the annoying MaxxAudioPro on.

9. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Maxx is a disaster and the EQ curves are terrible.

Without Maxx, I can adjust headphone volume fine just like I do on any laptop (f2/f3 keys, the small speaker icon at the bottom right tray, etc.)

10. IndyPilot80

Reputations:
    Ah ok. But it doesnt automatically lower the volume to the last known headphone volume? For instance, if I'm 100% with my speakers, as soon as I plug in the headphones, it goes down to whatever volume I had before.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.