Late 2017 HP Spectre x360

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by 2y4life, Jan 25, 2019.

1. 2y4life

2y4life Newbie

Reputations:
    So I'm looking at a used HP Spectre x360, i7 8500u, 16gb ram, 512 ssd and the guy will sell it for $700. On Amazon, it's still going well north of $1300 on Amazon and $1599 on HP. Assuming all is well, is this a decent buy? It's for school work but I'd like a laptop that will last me another 3 years or so. With the specs and what I do, not much, I believe this will do. Advice?

Edit, I'm open to other suggestions so I'll complete the following. Thanks ahead of time

1) What is your budget?
    $800 USD
    2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    a. Ultraportable; 10" - 12" screen
    c. Thin and Light; 13" - 14" screen
    d. Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen

e. Desktop Replacement; 17"+ screen
    3) Which country will you buying this notebook? USA

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    a. Like:
    b. Dislike:
    5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed? Yes

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook? Student work/study/watching movies

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both? Both

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? (If so, please state which games or types of games?) No

9) How many hours of battery life do you need? At least 6

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK? Doesn't matter

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows, Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc. Windows

Screen Specifics

12) What screen resolution(s) would you prefer? (See further below for explanations.) 1080P will suffice but 4K is nice

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (See further below for explanations.). Doesn't matter much, either or.

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you? Fairly. Something that looks polished, not too game-y

Notebook Components

15) How much hard drive space do you need? Not alot but the more the merrier, right?

Timing, Warranty and Longevity

16) When are you buying this laptop? Soon

17) How long do you expect to use this laptop? 2-3 years

18) How long could you afford to do without your laptop if it were to fail? 1-2 weeks

19) Would you be willing to pay significantly extra for on-site warranty, or would it be acceptable to you to have to ship the laptop to the vendor for repair with perhaps a week or more outage? Shipping is fine

Last edited: Jan 25, 2019
    Atma likes this.
  2. Atma

Atma Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The Spectre x360 is a beautiful laptop. The 4k display is gorgeous. $700 is a great price if everything works and it's in good shape. Do you know the model number? I would try to find that out and read some reviews on it.

3. 2y4life

2y4life Newbie

Reputations:
    This is the model
    HP Spectre x360 - 15-bl112dx

Atma likes this.
  4. RhyStar

RhyStar Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    It is great for the price... and for the things you want to do with it, a quad core cpu will serve well.

I have the new 13 inch whisky lake version and love it.

Whether it serves you well for three years depends on if your needs change... the gpu is “ok”, and 512gb may get tight, but you can upgrade that SSD as I recall.

If you can trust the unit is in good shape, I would go for it.

R