1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

laptops with IPS screen?

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Matryx, Dec 3, 2012.

1. Matryx

Matryx Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi,
    I'm looking to purchase my first laptop. I was thinking about getting the macbook pro because they have such great screens with good viewing angles. I've seen laptops that are entry level and the screens are horrible so I want to spend a little more for an IPS screen. I just don't know where to start. Main use will be for internet, watching 1080p movies, and Microsoft Office. I'm hoping to spend from $600-$800 for a laptop with a backlit keyboard, bluetooth, and an ips screen or something similar that doesn't have horrible viewing angles.

If someone can recommend me a laptop with these specs from $600-800 Canadian that would be great.

Thanks

2. baii

baii Sone

Reputations:
    I don't think there is any new machine with 1080p IPS within the budget, the usual suspect for this segment is the HP dv6z with 1080p upgrade.

3. Matryx

Matryx Newbie

Reputations:
    I was looking around and see that all Mac laptops are LED backlit? I always thought they were all IPS screen. I was hoping to find a laptop for less than a mac with the same build quality. If there aren't then I will just get a mac book or air.

edit: my mistake I didn't mean I wanted a 1080p IPS screen. The resolution doesn't matter as much as the quality of the screen. Anything above 720p is fine.

4. baii

baii Sone

Reputations:
    The backlit type have nothing to do with the screen type. I am not a expert on mac, but I believe some of them use TN panels (non-ips).

It will help if you fill out the sticky.

5. MidnightSun

MidnightSun Emodicon Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Pretty much all modern computer displays are LED-backlit. I believe the only Macs that use IPS displays are the new Retina MBP 13 and Retina MBP 15, both of which are far outside your budget. The rest of the Mac lineup use regular TN displays.

Depending on the size of the laptop you would like, you have a few options. A Lenovo Thinkpad X230 with the optional IPS display and backlit keyboard can be easily found for ~$700.

6. Matryx

Matryx Newbie

Reputations:
    Maybe I have it wrong. I don't really know much about Macs. I just know that a friend of mine has one and the screen is very nice. I think she got a few years back so I'm pretty sure it's not a Retina display. I'm probably mistaken but I'm guessing I want a laptop with a display that is on par with most of the $1000 - $1500 Macs. Not sure what kind of screen it is but it's a lot better than the $500 Toshiba laptop my sister have.

7. Jarhead

Jarhead Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    MidnightSun's correct about the MBP display. And to top it off, the colors on those displays isn't anything special (in the grant scheme of things). MBPs typically sit at about 70% NTSC color gamut.

While not an IPS display, you could check out the Thinkpad T530 with the 1080p upgrade. That's 95% NTSC color gamut, and it makes the MBP's screen look dull and washed out in comparison. Viewing angles are pretty good for a TN panel as well. And as a sort of "side-grade" to the MBP in terms of displays, a lot of Clevo laptops (such as the Sager NP6165) have displays that start at 72% NTSC color gamut, and some can be upgraded to 90-95%.

But if you're dead-set on IPS, pretty much your best option will be the X230 with the $50 IPS display upgrade.

8. Matryx

Matryx Newbie

Reputations:
    I'm not really dead-set on IPS. I just want a quality screen like the MBP display.

Thanks for the suggestion. I looked up the Thinkpad T530 and looked at the 1600x900 upgrade for $50. The 1080p upgrade for $250 is out of my budget. How is the 1600x900 display upgrade on the T530?

9. Peon

Peon Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Like most physical components in the MBP, the screens have always been near (though not at*) the top of the line. After all, it's how Apple justifies charging $2000 for their laptops when other manufacturers offer the same amount of computing horsepower for $1000 - the Retina Display simply takes both the price gap and the quality gap one step further.

IPS aside, it's hard to get a good display without a high budget. When a manufacturer has to choose something to cut costs on in order to meet a price point, the screen is always the first thing that goes - things like quad-core CPUs and SSDs are great selling points that the average person can understand, high quality screens aren't.

* Actually, the best screens by a long shot would be HP's DreamColor 2 and Dell's PremierColor, but you'd have to expand your budget by about 5x to be able to afford one of those. Then again, those screens are so excellent that they make the Retina Display look horrible.

10. ryukenden

ryukenden Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    It sounds like your're looking for 95-99% color gamut screens. IPS is usually for people that needs the true color for example, graphic design. IPS screen can be view from all angles but not necessarily the prettiest screen available.