1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Laptops with FHD (1920x1080) IPS displays

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Flav_cool, Nov 25, 2012.

1. cognus

cognus Notebook Deity

2. oner7

oner7 Newbie

Hey Guys,

I am gonna buy a Vaio Pro.

The new Sony Vaio Pro has an option of non-touch screen model. But i couldnt find proper spec for the display. Anybody knows, is it a IPS screen and matte or glossy?

The touch screen model has glossy IPS display panel and anti-glare surface. I see it on the shop, it is neither glossy nor matte. But if the non touch screen model is matte IPS, i would prefer it for sure.

I wonder, the display panel of non touch screen model and touch screen panel are different or not.

By the way, on sony-asia i've found the weight of the two models. The non touchscreen model was about 120gr lighter than the other, maybe this is a clue for you.

SVP13212SA : VAIO® Pro 11/13 : VAIO™ Notebook : Sony Asia Pacific

SVP13213SA : VAIO® Pro 11/13 : VAIO™ Notebook : Sony Asia Pacific

Product Comparison : VAIO™ Notebook : Sony Asia Pacific

Lastly, does anybody see any review of non touch screen Vaio Pro?

Thanks,

Oner

3. Jarhead

Jarhead Luigi #1

The mass market simply doesn't need massive compute power increases every refresh anymore. For someone that just surfs the internet, types up documents, and other very basic tasks, even a Core 2 Duo will run without much issues, let alone a Haswell. Why waste money on a new computer when a 5yo computer works just well? That cuts into revenue, and it doesn't help that people have reduced spending after 2008 and so. IMO, the only relevant advance in technology wad the introduction of SSDs and later on SSDs turning into a commodity, since storage was in desperate need of a performance increase.

4. bmstrong

bmstrong Notebook Guru

Can we get an updated 2013 version on this list? The Sputnik should be on here.

5. Jobine

Jobine Notebook Prophet

I love how Core 2 Duos, release 5-6 years ago, are still plenty relevant today. T7250s running like a champ in some older campus pc's :p

6. SvenSc

SvenSc Notebook Geek

This one had a nice panel. (read the comments)

7. bmstrong

bmstrong Notebook Guru

Very cool stuff coming this holiday season. The list should grow.

8. cannga

cannga Notebook Enthusiast

9. lovelaptops

lovelaptops MY FRIENDS CALL ME JEFF!

This is a very old thread and people have long stopped paying attention to it. The member can see how old it is and just because you've made a new post, I'm afraid most will ignore it. Instead I recommend you begin a new thread, using the first nine words of your post, above (up until the comma) as the title of your new thread. I don't have any advice for you, but I'm sure some will.

10. Jobine

Jobine Notebook Prophet

> Poor battery life
    > Weak performance
    > Limited OS
    > Poor driver support, can't install Windows, very proprietary Linux drivers
    > Company has no reputation on building quality laptops
    > 4:3? This is not 2004. 16:9 or 16:10 would be better.
    > Not Haswell. Normally not a problem, but hey, since all you will do with a laptop like this is browse the web, Haswell offers no disadvantages.
    > 1TB of Data from the company that likes to sell it to advertising firms the most. NO THANKS.