Laptops with 32GB of ram

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by 32ram, Feb 10, 2020.

1. 32ram

32ram Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    since you're the only person that has looked into 32 ram (or higher) laptops and the other very few ppl that has said anything are just being insulting and blaming all of the ops on the forum where there's only like 1 replies or none to the various ops on this forum

why do you think that 32 ram is unreasonably expensive when ppl can build mini pcs and desktops that has 32 ram at 1/10th the cost?

display ratio etc. is not a requirement, they're just preferred given similar options as mentioned in op

it says is upgrade to 32
    https://psref.lenovo.com/syspool/Sys/PDF/ThinkPad/ThinkPad_A485/ThinkPad_A485_Spec.PDF

where do you see upgraphbale to 64?

this t480 seems to have overall less perforamnce
    https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i5-8250U+@+1.60GHz&id=3042

than the other one but cost more ? why? https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+Ryzen+7+PRO+2700U&id=3258

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2020
  2. Starlight5

Starlight5 Don't call me Chris, my name is Elvis

Reputations:
    Manufacturers always charge a lot for RAM upgrades, way beyond their market value - because it's profitable and they can get away with it. Soldering RAM instead of providing user-upgradeable slots, they can charge those who actually require a lot of RAM pretty much whatever they want - and that they do.
    64GB in A485 is a bit of specualtion on my part, but I'm pretty sure it does because HP Probook 645 G4 with the same APU does support 2x 32GB RAM sticks despite HP claiming 2x16GB tops, and there's no good reason why A485 shouldn't. Nobody bothered to check, though.

Take RAM limits with a grain of salt. I'm running a single 32GB stick on a Skylake Thinkpad, shouldn't work according to both Lenovo & Intel - yet it does. If it had two slots instead of one, I'd be rocking 64GB.

1. Machines with Intel CPUs typically cost more regardless of their performance, because the CPUs themselves are more expensive, and AMD is generally positioned as budget offering in laptop space.
    2. AMD machines typically don't support resolutions beyond FHD on internal displays due to crippled 2-lane eDP, if you want high-res internal display you're mostly limited to Intel. There are exceptions of course, e.g. Surface Laptop 3. Hopefully this will change with Ryzen 4xxxU processors, we'll see soon.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2020
  3. 32ram

Reputations:

this ram limits is weird why would the laptop companies put inaccurate limits sometimes?
    is it cos they dont know?
    they havent tested it?
    im assuming they'd know they're the ones that put the laptops together
    https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05994943#AbT6
    https://www8.hp.com/h20195/v2/getpdf.aspx/c05935172.pdf

pricing is also super werid
    so what is the laptop ppl not taking into account the performance of intel cpus
    they just price it based on how much pricing they're the parts from intel themselves?
    why would they do that? i guess the consumers dont care, and laptop makers just generally care about offering mutiple choices/options to consumers?
    that doesnt make too sense, seems like the laptop makers dont actually have a good understanding of what consumers want
    so they throw a bunch of chocies/options at the consumer unlike what apple does

seems like pricing of ram upgrade and them being able to do that is some of thee evidence that most consumers dont know or caare about nothing

so cpus affect/determine resolutions? i dont know that nobody ever told me that, i thought it was the display that determines it?
    is there any overview links on cpus that says it limits/restricts what the max res is?

so looks like 1080 res is 'high' even for regular desktops at 24' or lower based on the options available
    https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/best/monitors#recommendation_124905
    but this is actually really low res even at 13-17' laptops size

so it seems like it'd be hard to find higher than 1080 in laptops, and high ppi overall, the pricing of higher res is also, it seems much higher pricing for higher res
    not sure if this is a tech problem/cost, or why higher res just cost so much more
    smartphones have high ppi and pricing isnt like that so doesnt seem like its actually a tech problem where tech itself from the original makers of the tech actually cost more

4. Starlight5

Reputations:
    Laptop companies don't design laptop motherboards. ODMs like Wistron, Compal, Quanta
    They don't care what consumers want, it is kinda irrelevant. Consumers will consume anyway, pretty much whatever is thrown at them, lured by fancy marketing. That's the key difference between a consumer and a customer - the latter may well go elsewhere if not satisfied by the product itself.
    Most modern CPUs have a GPU onboard as well. That GPU and the eDP implementation on the motherboard determine max resolution. Manufacturers cripple their AMD machines by using 2-lane eDP thus limiting internal display resolution to FHD, while the APU itself has no problem driving higher res internal displays over eDP - provided it is 4-lane of course.
    The CPU manufacturer information typically shows what is possible among all interfaces, not among particular one. Laptop manufacturers typically include max resolutions over different interfaces in their datasheets. They obviously don't account for third-party display upgrades. However, you can usually be sure that if a laptop didn't have any factory configurations with display resolutions beyond FHD, the motherboard won't drive anything beyond FHD.
    Most people don't really need it. Unless you were bitten by an eagle, you will use scaling with high-res displays, which introduces a whole subset of problems and results in suboptimal experience.

Smartphone operating systems and software are far better optimized in terms of scaling and high ppi displays. Their interfaces are far less complex and abysmal for productivity tasks, on the other hand; neither operating systems nor software can't make a good use of a large screen, even a high-res one.

amie reza likes this.
  5. 32ram

Reputations:

1. if the zooming/'scaling' of desktop oses arent good, is the zoom of chrome good? since chrome i guess doesnt use the zooming of the os but of chrome itself

2. why basically isnt there a common res > fhd, the next common res seems to be 4k, that's a huge leap, there doesnt seem to be a common res inbetween those 2 for laptops specifically, and guessing it's like that for desktops lcds also

3. what 'interfaces' is this talking about here? are the 'interfaces' the displays that could be used or what exactly is it referring to?

4. 'eDP is crippled this way.' - what does this mean basically? 4k works but 'edp' doesnt support it?

5. so isnt the makers of the laptop mobos suppose to provide the accurate data to the laptop makers? and isnt the laptop makers suppose to ask the laptop mobos makers to provide all the relevant info so they can build good laptops, and/or provide accurate info on the max res, etc?

are there any good links that concisely answers all the things, especially the part of chrome zooming and if it's good or not since it probably doesnt use the zooming of the desktop os
    and if the desktop os zooming/scaling has lots of problems, i dont think i ever seen any problems with the chrome zooming

Starlight5 and amie reza like this.
  6. Starlight5

Reputations:
    I mostly use Firefox. Zooming in browsers generally works OK. I personally use 110%-120% scaling in browsers while using high PPI displays at 100% scaling in OS because some web fonts are just too small. NBR forum is a good example.
    That's a rhetorical question. WQHD displays are pretty good compromise.
    Yes, I am referring to any ports a display can be connected to. Apart from (mostly) eDP used for internal displays, there are DP and HDMI interfaces for external ones.
    Almost every Ryzen machine out there has 2-lane eDP limiting internal displays to FHD resolution. On these machines, 4K works only for external display interfaces e.g. DP or HDMI, not for eDP.
    ODMs are supposed to provide motherboard designs capable of fulfilling particular goals set by laptop manufacturer. If a motherboard is capable of fulfilling expectations beyond those goals, but those configurations go over what laptop manufacturer wants to offer - noone gives a ****. This information won't be mentioned anywhere. Laptop manufacturers are not interested in you or any other end user upgrading their products. They are interested in selling you a laptop, in a most expensive configuration they offer if possible. If you can upgrade their product beyond their best configuration with aftermarket parts, at best they don't give a ****, and at worst they will actively try to block this ability of their product by imposing some ridiculous restrictions. Whitelists are a good example of those.

Honestly - no idea. I don't use scaling, just set it at 100% and have no problems whatsoever. But then again, I don't use 250+ PPI displays. On the other hand, I read numerous reports of negative experience with Windows scaling by other people - but they may be outdated, it is 2020 after all.

amie reza likes this.
  7. Starlight5

Reputations:
    @32ram I did some more research on Ryzen APU display output capabilities. It turned out I was wrong about eDP limitation. Ryzen APUs are capable of driving 4k displays over eDP, but laptop manufacturers don't offer Ryzen machines with displays beyond FHD except very few models. Bottom line, crippled 2-lane eDP is laptop vendors and ODMs fault, not AMD's. I adjusted my older posts accordingly.