Laptops haven't changed much in past five years, why buy a new one?

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by jack53, Nov 27, 2019.

1. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    whatever makes you sleep at night bud!

2. baconRain

baconRain Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    HPs laptop is marketed for creators too. It just has much better cooling (and price). I don't want to argue and point out logical or technical mistakes or anything. If you have newer XPS, then you are better off. I had 9550 and since these had throttling issues, I am kinda sensitive about it now. Let me put it this way: XPS could have had better cooling installed. Razer does it as @custom90gt points out.
    It just doesn't look good for Dell, when you compare. I know newer processors are more efficient. I really want the new XPS, but four generations with the same cooling?

3. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I would run away from razer unfortunately. I LOVE their laptop designs. Understated greatly for gaming systems, but their customer service is abysmal as far as I have heard. Too bad too. They should be on top of their CS game because they are trying to be the premier gaming system company.

custom90gt likes this.
  4. Philaphlous

Philaphlous Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    IF you're interested in better cooling take a look at the G14. IT's got 3 heatpipes for the GPU and 3 pipes for the CPU. 2 of them pass between each other and 1 for each are dedicated. There's also a single heatpipe for the VRM and memory cooling on the CPU/GPU...

custom90gt likes this.
  5. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Oh god, ASUS. that's worse than razer for customer service. No thanks.

6. Schmoo2k

Schmoo2k Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The new Apple M1 laptops are bit of a game changer (if you are into that kind of thing).

7. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I am not. I regret my recent iphone 11 purchases all ready, only 3 weeks in. They are the last apple devices coming into our home. We are moving from apple. Even my wife who loved her iphones all along is not happy with apple. Goto the smartphone/tablet page under ipad 6 and read whats happening to our devices.

I will stick with my Dell laptop.

8. ZaZ

ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Probably depends on your situation. I just surf and watch video on my mini, so spending $750 for a new one doesn't do much for me. I would like to get one with 8GB. If I can find an i3 version at a reduced price, that's probably a better value proposition for me.

9. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    After doing some research the M1 is not really that big of a deal when it comes to actual performance as they claim. (surprise, surprise.). The xps 13 beats it in single core, is only a miniscule amount slower in multicore and gets 3 hrs more useage time on battery in real world useage not apple reality distortion land. If you want real battery life get the new acer spin 7.

So, once again, apple marketing and their online lemmings create a false reality when it comes to the MJesus chip. They get their minions to go on youtube and start crowing and cawing about it, but in reality, a new intel chip is just as fast and gets better battery life. Oh, it does run iOS apps so thats something.......I guess.

10. Schmoo2k

Schmoo2k Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    My take was that it is pretty much the first ARM implementation that can compete with x86 and considering the MacBook Air is now passive cooled (no fans - love the naming irony). It is a game changer.

FWIW I would personally take the XPS 13 as well (primarily for the infinity edge screen and form factor) - but I can see Apple producing some really sleek designs in the future as they now have smaller motherboards, battery sizes and lower power consumption.