Laptops haven't changed much in past five years, why buy a new one?

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by jack53, Nov 27, 2019.

1. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    See my latest post in the apple section about the new Mjesus chip. It's nothing special at all. LOTS of issues, not as fast as apple claims, not as good battery life as apple claims, not all software works as apple claims. it's just another laptop imo. Nothing magical, nothing game changing...the Surface Pro X is a bigger game changer IMO. it has ARM, software that works, great battery life (better than the Mjesus by far) touchscreen, pen support LTE and more. Apple's marketing is better thats it!

2. Schmoo2k

Schmoo2k Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Ha Patrick Moorehead is not having much fun is he!

Twitter rant aside - If MS can get the SQ1 chip to match the M1 I would be delighted as the Surface X form factor is excellent (and to be fair MS also has compatibility issues of its own on ARM).

kojack likes this.
  3. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Yes, they do. but it's only 64-bit apps now, and they have a fix coming the first quarter of the new year. Far less issues compared to the low hanging fruit. And if you noticed, it's not just Patrick having issues. It's about 5 or 6 people in that twitter feed having issues. he is just the originator of the thread. They have the SQ2, it's already getting way better battery life, and it's really fast using ARM apps (which are available now for it, compared to porting all the crap onto the mac), and you get the awesome screen, form factor, pen, touch better portability and WINDOWS!

As for battery life MBKHD got 10 hrs of real world usage out of his Mjesus macbook. Daniel Rubino just put up his review of the Dell XPS 13 and got over 13 hrs of the same type of real world usage from it. Using a video loop to pull 17-20 hrs out of the Mjesus chip is useless to get real world battery numbers, but hey, apple is famous for inflating numbers.

4. Schmoo2k

Reputations:
    Two more quotes from Patrick just to keep some balance:

"You may be wondering why I didn’t drag the Surface Pro X through this. It’s very simple- Microsoft didn’t promise the world to everybody with the Surface Pro X like Apple has done with the MacBook Pro 13” M1."

"I am impressed with what Apple has done with the M1 chip but am disappointed the company made promises I don’t think it can keep, made claims it doesn’t explain during announcements, and that the Apple-chosen first reviewers didn’t find the warts I found in the first two hours of review."

Bottom line is that the M1 is better than the SQ2 (there is no debate there) - but its currently only being offered in last years packaging!

kojack likes this.
  5. Drew1

Drew1 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    So I see on dell site, they have the new xps. I dont know much about processors by is the ryzen processor faster than the i7 and i9 quad core processors? If so, is there a reason why dell xps laptops don't have these processors?

6. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Because synthetic benchmarks only tell part of the story. Dell feels the intel is an overall better chip than the ryzen. And judging by the data from the XPS 13 vs the Mjesus chip from Apple I tend to agree. The XPS 13 got 3 hours longer battery life during real world usage, has a faster single core speed, and is only behind in multicore by less than 200 points, meaning you are not going to notice a speed difference between the two. That's pretty remarkable considering apple stated that their chip was going to part the seas, shatter mountains and wipe your bum after you poo.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2020
    MrMogwai likes this.
  7. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Lol this is 100% speculation on your part, you don't know how Dell feels about AMD vs Intel. My GUESS is Dell just likes to coast with their designs and that's why they haven't offered the faster more power efficient AMD offerings. That will likely change with the 5000 series when they go mobile. They will have to if they want to be competitive with everyone else.

Schmoo2k likes this.
  8. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    hehehe. I would speculate Dell has long-term financial incentive programs with Intel and that these are top-secret.

AMD will run the same but they weren't so relevant when AMD had a weak lineup.

9. Schmoo2k

Reputations:
    It was always going to take at least 1 year for the big players to switch to AMD from Intel (and longer for the premium packaging).

I also saw someone got Windows ARM running in a VM on the new apple M1 which in turn supports running i386 Windows Apps, which was impressive in its own right - but even more impressive is that it runs faster than than Windows on SQ2.

Now I think MS deserve some Apple payback for all the Office + Visual Studio support they have provided to OSX over the last decade and Apple should license the M1 for use in the Surface Pro M1 (yea thats not going to happen).

pressing likes this.
  10. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Sadly I don't think it's a huge secret that Intel has been trying to unfairly position themselves by providing large discounts for OEMs to use their products.

pressing likes this.