Laptops haven't changed much in past five years, why buy a new one?

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by jack53, Nov 27, 2019.

1. jack53

jack53 Samsung ATIV Book 6 Lover!

Reputations:
    Every year I go down to Best Buy and try out the new XPS 13 with mine alongside them and go NOPE, gonna wait until next year.

In the last 5 years laptops haven't really improved much in terms of stats, resulting in PC makers trying to add a bunch of gimmicks to sell their products. I was looking at the newest XPS 13 inch ones at Best Buy and from Dell catalog they send me every few months and Black Friday deals.

The new ones still only have 8-16 MB of memory and same 'ol i5 or i7, mildly improved over former ones. My five year old Dell XPS with i7, 8MB Ram, 256GB SSD, Full HD. 1080p holds it's own with the new ones at Best Buy with the same 'ol specs, but high prices of $1K and up. I know because I try them out. The secret is to take care of what you have.
    https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/cty/pdp/spd/xps-13-9380-laptop
    XPS-13.jpg

I'm really happy with mine and will keep using it until it quits. Maybe in a couple years I'll buy a new XPS.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2019
    pressing likes this.
  2. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I mean laptop technology has changed over the past five years. The low power i7 in that XPS13 is as fast as the high powered laptops of five years ago. Those gimmicks as you put it may be meaningful to the user. OLED screens are beautiful and as good as say the 9550's 1080p screen is, it's not even close. Not to mention the GPUs in today's laptops are pretty awesome. I guess all and all I totally disagree with you, lol.

3. jack53

Reputations:
    ...and I disagree with you. As for the 13" screen, you can't tell the difference with the higher resolution screen unless you have a much bigger screen. I've played with the new ones at Best Buy and don't see any difference at all.... Heck, I don't see much difference in the GPU usage either. I've used mine every day and compared to relatives and friends newer laptops and it either holds it own or smokes them. many times I have at least ten web pages loaded, watch videos, and use Adobe CS6 all at the same time and no hiccups at all. Fast! It also helps that I use my SSD just for loading at startup etc, everything goes to my Passport 4TB .... so to each their own. Any more it's just milliseconds and the idea that you "maybe" have the latest and greatest.

I imagine if your a gamer, then the new GPUs are better, but other than that you can't tell the difference. But who uses the XPS 13 for games???

I see I have my old Samsung ATIV Book 6 NP680Z5E-X01US in my sig... gonna have to change that.

4. custom90gt

Reputations:
    I can tell the difference screen wise when it comes to colors and blacks. You didn't mention what XPS you have, but if it's older than the 9550 then hardware wise the smaller more power efficient 13 in your picture would probably be faster.

I guess I really don't understand the point of your first post. If you would like to run some benches or something and post the results, I'd be happy to compare them to my Aero 15 OLD or Aero 15x... Sadly I don't have a new XPS 13 to run benches on.

5. jack53

Reputations:
    If your gaming, the newer XPS is most likely better. My testing is when I'm down at Best Buy with my XPS next to theirs and I try different things like up to ten websites open while doing photo editing.
    I don't see much difference there. The new XPS don't have the power hungry Adobe CS6 I use either. I also try to see the difference in the screens... you can't, not with a 13" screen. I only test what I use daily.

I actually like the finish on mine better too... It has an aluminum lid, a carbon fiber bottom, which is attractive, and stands out from other ultraportables on the market. Inside, the magnesium deck has the black soft-touch finish. A thin strip of aluminum, running along the outside, frames the whole deck nicely. No plastic at all. There is a silver XPS Logo just below the screen as with the new ones, no XPS anywhere on the lid, keyboard or screen area... I take such good care of mine, there still is NO scratches or scuffs anywhere. Looking at it, you can't tell if it is new or not.

The point of my post is....Since I don't see any real difference from mine and new, I'd rather spend the extra money I don't spend on a new XPS on some goodies for my Corvette or Ram truck.

I'm sure if I were to try to play some games, the new ones are better, but I haven't played games in years... no time for that. I do photography for a living and what I use the XPS for.

6. custom90gt

Reputations:
    I'm glad you are enjoying your XPS of unknown specs. My point is that the screens are indeed better when measured with a colorimeter which is something that is important for photos, and the cpu is likely faster, also important when doing photography for a living. I realize you don't game, but the big thing you say you do for a living would benefit from these so called gimmicks...

Either way I'm glad you like your laptop, I just don't agree with your assessment of current laptop technology vs 5 years ago.

7. jack53

Reputations:
    Like I said earlier, that is moot. I go by what I actually see when comparing. I don't need gimmicky programs like a colorimeter or CPU speed test as my eyes are fine and the real test, what I see what is in front of me. Gaming & video the newer XPS ones are likely considerably faster with the newer cpu and gpu, but for photography viewing and photoshop work, no.

Just so you know I'm not a windbag, I've owned over 2o different laptops since 1996. I've done photography "probably before you were born" for over 45 years, with first film cameras and old style darkroom and digital cameras with modern photoshop CS6. I sell many of my photos to WA State Forest Service and many other local agencies, Mt Rainier being one who has my photos for sale in their Visitors Center Store. My work?

https://moskovita-photography.com/

8. custom90gt

Reputations:
    I don't doubt that you indeed do photography. You still never gave me real specs (i7 literally means nothing aside from the tier of processor), but that's totally fine, the point is moot as your mind is made up based on what you "see." Yes that is longer than I've been alive, but I've done tech work for 20 years and have a fair understanding of hardware. I am fortunate enough to have both OLED and non OLED screens, screens with 100% adobe RGB and 72% adobe RGB coverage, and I can most surely see a very big difference, especially if they are next to each other.

My hat is off to anyone that can shoot photos, I just don't have the creative side although I do enjoy messing around. Anyway I'll stop the back and forth with you, neither of us will be swayed by the other, I'm sure of that.

Trader05 and jack53 like this.
  9. jack53

Reputations:
    Thanks for all the input you gave. It is OK to disagree. I know a little about tech as I repaired and built computers for a few years, but dropped that as there was just too much competition in the area with Microsoft being one. Now it's just for myself and relatives. Been awhile since I've had a Desktop though. I love laptops. Here is a website from those days:
    https://moskovita-photography.com/jacks-resume.htm
    and
    https://moskovita-photography.com/Antec900.htm

Tech is kinda like this:
    A 2013 Corvette which I own, has a ton of tech and is faster than most cars out there.
    But my Ram truck gets me to point A and point B just as good, just not as fast and not as much tech as the Corvette.
    That's the way it is with XPS & Photography for me... The photos I get are the end results.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2019
    custom90gt likes this.
  10. lesz

lesz Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I've enjoyed reading the back-and-forth in this thread, and my conclusion is that both of you are making valid points.

I have a 10 year old desktop computer that I had custom built when the first generation of i7 quad core processors became available. The computer has 24 gb of RAM, and, along the line, I upgraded the system drive from a Velociraptor drive to an SSD and the operating system from Windows 7 to Windows 10. I do serious photography work with large RAW and converted TIFF files, and the computer still is snappy in doing everything that I need to do.

I have no question that there have been performance improvements in processors, RAM, and other components every year, but, in recent years, those improvements have become more incremental than revolutionary. While those incremental improvements may result in noticeable performance difference to some small number of critical users, for the vast majority of users, if they buy a computer with high end components, it should still perform superbly a few years later, and those incremental improvements in things like the processor are not likely to make noticeable improvents in performance.

With regard to screens, while I agree that OLED screens, when new, are superb, as someone who ruined an OLED screen in less than a year with permanent burn-in, I'm more than a little leery of OLED screens . I have the 4k non-OLED touch screen on my XPS 9560. and while a new OLED screen might look marginally better (when new) than the 4k screen that I have on the XPS 9560, the screen on the XPS 9560 is excellent, and I find comfort in knowing that, a couple of years down the road, I won't have to be worried about it suffering from burn-in or other picture quality decreases that come with OLED screens.

I have no question that the computing power of computers has increased over the last 10 years, but for me, the bottom line is that, over the course of the last decade, my computing needs have also increased, but they have increased only marginally. So, the incremental improvements in processors, RAM, etc. have exceeded the increases in my computing needs. Thus, even a computer with high end components that is several years old is still likely to meet my needs.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2019
    Trader05, jack53 and custom90gt like this.