1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Laptop with serial port!

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Sario, Jan 15, 2012.

1. Sario

Sario Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Ok it's time for a new work laptop. I really want one with a serial port. I know they make usb/pcmi converters, but sometimes they just don't play nice with some computers and older equipment

1) What is your budget?
    $2,399.00

2) What size notebook would you prefer?

14' to 15.6"

3) Where will you buying this notebook? You can select the flag of your country as an indicator.

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    a. Like: Thinkpads
    b. Dislike:

5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?
    No
    6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
    PLC programing

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
    Both
    8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? If so, please state which games or types of games?

No

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
    10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
    no
    11) What OS do you prefer? Windows (XP or Vista or Windows 7), Mac OS, Linux, etc.

xp or windows 7
    Screen Specifics

12) From the choices below, what screen resolution(s) would you prefer? Keep in mind screen size in conjunction with resolution will play a large role in overall viewing comfort level. Everyone is different. Some like really small text, while others like their text big and easy to read. Click here for Screen resolution information.
    1600x900 or better
    13) Do you want a Glossy/reflective screen or a Matte/non-glossy screen?
    Matte, but glossy is ok too
    Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
    No
    15) When are you buying this laptop?
    With in 30 days
    16) How long do you want this laptop to last?
    Over two years

Notebook Components

17) How much hard drive space do you need; 80GB to 640GB? Do you want a SSD drive?
    120gb
    18) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a CDRW/DVD-ROM, DVD Burner or Blu-Ray drive?

no

2. mmmangoes

mmmangoes Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    -Hp Elitebook 8560p

If you prefer a thinkpad, look into the docking station options for the T420/T520/W520

3. amythompson172

amythompson172 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The HP Elitebook 8560p will indeed do what you need, as well as be far below your budget!

4. gwilled

gwilled Notebook Deity

Reputations:
  5. Sario

Reputations:
    The Elite book doesn't appear to have the rs232 serial port, and I use the serial port moslty when out of the office. Thanks though!

Thanks, but it also doesn't appear to have an RS232 serial port.

That does look like the most promising solution so far.

6. Sxooter

Sxooter Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Another option is buying a used older laptop like a Lenovo T61 or something (I think those still had serial ports) or the T4x series, which I know had serial ports.

7. Sario

Reputations:
    That's another good thought. My work will be making the purchase, and I'm not sure if they will be ok with a used one. Although I've found a few of the model you listed refurbished for under $300

8. Sxooter

Reputations:
    If you're using it to talk to things like routers in a hosting center, you might be able to talk them into buying a cheap one for each center (if there's more than one) so that they're always there when needed, kinda like an old dumb terminal on a cart etc. If you need 3 buy 4 and sock one away for a rainy day. Used or not, real RS-232 serial connectors are becoming as rare as IEEE-488 etc.

9. Megol

Megol Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Any computer with a ExpressCard slot can get a real RS232 port. The problem is that many serial ExpressCard adapters in reality is USB<->serial port so finding a true PCIexpress<->serial that is backwards compatible with old programs can take some time.

10. Indrek

Indrek Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    As far as I can see, the EliteBook 8560p definitely does have a serial port. See the tech specs.

11. Sxooter

Reputations:
    Judging by the picture that's a USB serial port, not an RS232 serial port.

12. KLF

KLF NBR Super Modernator Super Moderator

Reputations:
  13. Indrek

Indrek Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    A few other relatively recent laptops that have serial ports:
    Dell Latitude E5500 & E5510, HP ProBook 6540b, Fujitsu Lifebook E780

Just curious - how can you tell from the picture?

14. Sxooter

Reputations:
    Good point those pictures are awful. Looking a second time I'm still not sure.

15. trwrt

trwrt Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I've got an Acer Travelmate 800 with a busted hinge here that ticks all of the boxes. $2400 should just about cover it. :)

16. Indrek

Indrek Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    That wasn't a point, but a legitimate question - how can you tell from a picture whether a serial port is USB or RS-232?

17. Sxooter

Reputations:
    By having the engineer use more accurate labels? Or from a better picture? :)

A db-9 serial port connector is the same size as a db-15 high density VGA connector, but with 9 larger sockets. They're disappearing pretty quick. A lot of hosting centers now keep old VT-101 terminals etc on carts because you can't count on having one on your laptop anymore.

18. Indrek

Indrek Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Yeah, I know that. Incidentally, the correct label is DE9, not DB9 (and DE15 for the VGA connector; DB connectors are about twice as wide). And I can see pretty easily from pictures that the laptops mentioned above (including the EliteBook 8560p) have a male DE9 connector. What I thought you were saying was that having a serial port didn't necessarily mean full electrical compliance with the RS-232 standard, and that some serial ports could simply be RS-232 adapters internally hooked up to USB or something like that, rather than a native RS-232 controller on the motherboard. If instead you were referring to the connector and saying that you weren't sure whether the one shown in the 8560p quickspecs was USB or DE9, then I retract my previous question and invite you to look at a larger version of that picture:
    http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/13947_div/13947_ov5.jpg

Edit: also, the picture posted above by KLF (link) clearly shows a male DE9 connector with the corresponding symbol |O|O| next to it.