Laptop with ability to upgrade RAM

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by ecostatsstudent, Feb 6, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ecostatsstudent

ecostatsstudent Newbie

Reputations:
    I'm in need of a laptop with the ability to upgrade the amount of RAM so I can run statistical analyses on large data sets using R, and greatly need help narrowing down the options.

Budget: max of $1000USD (not including cost of upgrading RAM), ideally closer to $500USD.

RAM: I would like to have the option of upgrading to 32GB, but upgradable to 16GB is the minimum. From what I can tell, buying a laptop that comes with that amount of RAM is way more expensive and comes with things I don't need (e.g. high-end graphics)

Size: Ideally not much larger than 15". I'm a graduate student so will be transporting it with me frequently. I would also like it to be a bit stylish (or at least not a clunker) since I will be using it in presentations and such.

Hard drive: At least 500GB, but I'm flexible on this.

OK with refurbished/redistributed.

I don't use my laptop for gaming.

Apart from the bit of googling I have done so far to figure out what RAM even is, I don't have much experience with computer hardware, so please explain/take pity on me!

Thanks in advance for the help.

2. ZaZ

ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

Reputations:
    If you want to go budget and are in the US, the ThinkPad E480 should be able to be found in the Lenovo Outlet with a low watt quad core and 1080p IPS screen under budget with some patience. I believe the E480 should be able to do 32GB of memory, though with most notebooks these days, you'll need to pry the bottom off to access the memory. Good luck and welcome to NBR.

Vasudev likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.