Laptop with 8th Generation Processor, Thunderbolt and Nvidia 1050

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by ozzy00100, Nov 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ozzy00100

ozzy00100 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi there,

I hope you are well. I am looking for a 2 in 1 laptop which has a thunderbolt, 8th Generation Processor and built in Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060.

I am looking to use this for graphic design purposes and will be using the Adobe Creative Cloud packages including photoshop, premier pro and other virtual reality technologies including the vive.

As I will be drawing straight onto the screen of the laptop, I need a 2 in 1 on the go, but also require a good graphics card, so I am planning to connect to an external GPU. I am also keen to get an 8th generation intel processor, so that it is future proof.

I was looking at the Asus UX 561 ( as it has an Nvidia Geforce 1050 card and has an 8th Generation intel processor), but there is no release date and I need a laptop quite urgently as the current one is not working.

I have looked at the HP Spectre 15 which is a 2 in 1 and has an 8th Generation Intel processor. However this has the Nvidia GeForce 150 MX, which won't handle VR well, which is important when I won't have access to the external GPU.

The new surface book 2 (15 inch) was perfect except for the fact that it doesn't allow me to connect to any external GPU. The graphics card on there is good, but won't be strong enough for the type of VR work that I am doing which will need a much stronger graphics card. If it had a Thunderbolt 3, it would have been perfect. I have googled online, and it seems there is no way to connect an external GPU to the surface book 2, which is a real shame.

Thanks in advance for all your help and taking the time to read this.

Thanks and Kind Regards

Ozzy

1) What is your budget?

$2500

2) What size notebook would you prefer?

2 in 1 15inch screen

3) Where will you buying this notebook? You can select the flag of your country as an indicator.

UK

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    a. Like:
    b. Dislike:

I need to have a good warranty such as next day, as this will be used for work and can't be without. As a result I prefer HP or Dell, which I believe have a good warranty service.

5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?

Yes

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?

Graphic design, video editing and virtual reality. I am planning to get an external GPU (Nvidia Titan) , but need a Nvidia Geforce 1050/1060 inside the laptop for the occasions when I won't have access to the external GPU. (I am not sure if the Nvidia 150 MX is good enough for virtual reality). Ideally I'd like a laptop from a company that already provides an external GPU as an option.

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?

Travelling with it 50% of the time.

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? If so, please state which games or types of games?

No mainly just for VR design/development.

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?

10hrs

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?

Happy to buy online.

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows (Windows 7 / 8), Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc.

Windows

Screen Specifics

12) From the choices below, what screen resolution(s) would you prefer? Keep in mind screen size in conjunction with resolution will play a large role in overall viewing comfort level. Everyone is different. Some like really small text, while others like their text big and easy to read. (Scroll down to see screen resolution information.)

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (Scroll down to see explanations.)

Don't mind.

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?

Don't mind.

15) When are you buying this laptop?

This week. Current work laptop not working.

16) How long do you want this laptop to last?

2 years

Notebook Components

17) How much hard drive space do you need? Do you want a SSD drive?

500GB - 1TB SSD

18) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a DVD Burner, Blu-ray Reader or Blu-Ray Burner?

No

Last edited: Nov 18, 2017
  2. Vistar Shook

Vistar Shook Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    For VR, the minimum for decent performance is a 1060. The 8th generation chips available are ULV, so the current 7th gen HQ 45 watt chips will perform better under long sustained loads. So narrow your search for a 1060 with an i7-7700HQ with optimus for better battery life, but 10 hours is expecting too much, perhaps 6-7hr? With thunderbolt 3 full lanes, the options are slim with your criteria of battery life....I would say Aero 15. As far as eGPU, keep in mind there is quite a bit of performance loss, so a Titan is not necessary, the 1080Ti will perform the best possible at 4k through thunderbolt.

Enviado de meu Pixel 2 usando Tapatalk

Last edited: Nov 19, 2017
  3. ozzy00100

Reputations:
    Dear Vistar Shock,

Thanks for the message and advice :) . I'll look out for a 2in1 with an i7-7700HQ and 1060. I am fine with a battery time of 6 hours - the performance of the machine is more important that the battery. In terms of priority, I would say the major priorities are:

a) 2in1
    b) Being able to use if for VR so therefore a 1060.
    c) Being able to connect it to an external GPU, so a thunderbolt is really important.

The battery time is not important and am okay with a smaller screen if necessary. Happy to go for the 1080Ti

I recently discovered the zBook x 2. But it seems that the M620 is not strong enough for VR, which is a shame.

Thanks and Kind Regards

Ozzy

Vistar Shook likes this.
  4. Vistar Shook

Reputations:
    2 in 1 with a 1060 I am not aware of, except for the SB2 but then it hasno thunderbolt. it is a shame that Microsoft is shunning the thunderbolt port on their top systems.

Enviado de meu Pixel 2 usando Tapatalk

ozzy00100 and hmscott like this.
  5. ozzy00100

Reputations:
    Thanks Vistar. I totally agree about the SB2 - real shame there is no thunderbolt. I would have gone for it, if there was.

I couldn't find a system that met my requirements that is out on the market and the new workstation zBookk x 2 doesn't seem strong enough for VR. I have decided, as a result, that I am going to have to drop 1 of my criteria. It was either being able to use VR from a laptop or the 2 in 1. I have decided to drop the requirement of a 2 in 1, as the VR was more important. As a result I am going for a workstation or gaming machine. I have looked at the spec on both and it seems that a gaming machine meets all the requirements and they are generally less expensive than a workstation for similar spec.

The spec is similar, but am now going for a 17inch ( effectively a desktop replacement which can handle VR confidently).

Thanks again.

Vistar Shook likes this.
  6. Vistar Shook

Reputations:
    Good choice.

ozzy00100 likes this.
  7. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    I would suggest taking a look at the Dell Precision 7720. It should be configurable within your budget with a Quadro P3000 or P4000 which are VR Ready. It will have better warranty and build quality than most gaming laptops.

Another option would be the Alienware 13 or 15. You could get it with a GTX 1060, then use the graphics amp with the 1080ti. This should offer more performance than using thunderbolt 3 eGPU's. The 17 is a nice machine but its pretty heavy and usually needs tweaking things like CPU/GPU paste to get good performance.

Also, an option to having a 2-in-1 would be to carry something like a Cintiq Pro 13 with your VR laptop. They are only about ~1000 and use as good of a digitizer that most tablets have, if not better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.