Laptop To Stream Online Choices

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Drew1, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Drew1

Drew1 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hey all. Im outside the US at the moment and like to get a laptop to stream online, watch videos and web browse. Can someone tell me if this laptop would be pretty decent? The processor is a celeron. Note the price of these are in pesos. I notice the difference between the first and second one is the first is 2.4ghz whereas the second laptop is 1.6mhz. yes its in spanish and im using google translate to look at the specs. Is there anything else you guys notice that is different besides this? Also this laptop you could change the language from spanish to english in settings right? I asked the seller this and they kept saying its in spanish. But i said could i change language to spanish and then they said yes you can choose the language. But of course im not sure 100 percent. Basically in terms of usd money, the laptop will cost around 280-350 dollars if you look at these prices. So i wanted something cheap to stream online etc. Is there any big difference between the first and second one with the 2.4ghz vs 1600mhz? There are other laptops i found on this site but the issue is most are much more expensive and these seem to have good reviews. Of course there are ones that are cheaper but those are 2gb ram or used etc.

https://articulo.mercadolibre.com.m...c_id=/home/navigation-recommendations/element

https://articulo.mercadolibre.com.m...10-14iap-14-discos-500g-4g-ram-lector-dvd-_JM

2. Drew1

Reputations:
    HI there. I think i will be able to purchase a laptop from the US via amazon or bestbuy. Can someone give me recommendations?

My requirements are

Screen Size either 13.3 or 14.1. I do not want 11.6 as screen is way too tiny and 15.6 is bit big and bulky

Price to be around 350 dollars and below

Again the purpose of this laptop is to stream online, watch videos, video browse and download files. Thus a chromebook wouldn't work since a movie could be 1gb etc.

3. Drew1

Reputations:
    Hey all. I guess i would want some laptop like this? Its a 14 inch asus thin and light laptop for around 250 dollars. The thing though is processor is slow which i don't think will matter that much. But there is 64gb of hard drive. First off, how much gb would windows 10 take so how much would i have free? The other thing is i could easily just buy a usb stick and connect it to this laptop right to add more space? Like i download a bunch of videos but since there is not much space, well i just put it on the usb to view it etc?

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod..._re=14_inch_laptop-_-1TS-001A-007Y1-_-Product

I had an asus laptop like this called the asus u45jc which had an i3 processor and ssd and 4gb ram that i used to stream online and watch videos but it stopped working a while back. So when i saw this laptop on newegg, i thought this is exactly what i wanted... something very light as this is 14.1. I want either 13.3 or 14.1. Can someone tell me if this would be what i want to stream? I would also download files and web browse on this and want to know if this laptop would be fine? The other thing is could i add a hard drive or ssd to this machine in place of the 64gb hard drive or i cannot do this?

4. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    That laptop isn’t upgradable in any way, so you can’t replace the 64GB eMMC drive with something else. You can add more storage via the USB port though, as you talked about.

Personally, I’ve had nothing but problems with the ASUS products I’ve bought, so I can’t recommend them with a straight face.

5. Drew1

Reputations:
    Hi there. When you say add more storage, do you mean i could buy say a 64gb or 128gb usb stick? Or do you mean one of those 64gb or 128gb sandisk micro sd cards? So basically this would mean i have more storage? However would there be issues due to windows updates?

Would you say its better to buy this or a chromebook like this one that has 4gb and 16gb storage.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MG696P...ja&pd_rd_r=4P1HSHXMYKBW0SGFJEK1&pd_rd_w=CsVdF

And then i would buy the micro sd card or the usb stick? Which would be compatible with the chromebook?

These are similar in price. But one uses windows and other uses chrome OS.

The thing though is besides streaming through sites, i also want to download videos from forums. Thus if you download it from a windows computer, you would download it and it would either be in your downloads folder and you watch the video from the vlc media player or its a rar file and you have to extract it and then watch the video.

Would a chromebook be able to do this or not? Based on that, should i get the asus laptop?

The thing is i want a laptop that is light as in 13.3 to 14.1' and well could store videos such as movies i download etc. Thus i want a windows computer right?

6. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    Either USB and/or microSD card, though USB 3.0 flash drives tend to be faster.

I don’t own a Chromebook, so I can’t say for sure.

7. Drew1

Reputations:
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=1TS-001A-007Y1

Thoughts on this laptop? This is exactly what i want in terms of size and looks. Thus its 14.1 which is small size and weighs very little and thin. It uses windows 10. It has 64gb storage. However, can someone tell me the difference between this laptops 64gb storage vs a laptops 320gb or 500gb storage? The thing is i wanted to get a laptop that streams and downloads movies/files and i read a chromebook could do that but you cant download windows programs. I dont mind it that much but i would of course want to be able to download windows programs.

So would this laptop be what im looking for? Thus as long as i get a 128gb usb or micro sd, then this is close to getting a windows 10 laptop that has 500gb and thus a regular laptop and not a chromebook? I wanted a windows 10 laptop new and a smaller size for like under 350 dollars as the main purpose is to stream online from streaming sites, download some files on sites and web browse etc. I was going to get a chromebook since i read thats the purpose of one but people keep saying always pay extra for a windows. Now i know this laptop is going to be pretty slow but im only streaming/downloading videos and viewing websites. So would you guys recommend this laptop? There are laptops that are 500gb storage like lenovo and hp that i saw that are 350 dollars and under but the main issue is they are 15.6 and thus a lot heavier. I want something very light at 13.3 or 14.1.

8. Drew1

Reputations:
    Anyone?

So should i go with a chromebook or a cheap laptop? With a chromebook, it looks like i could spend 300 dollars and under. With a laptop it would cost at least 230 etc to like 300 or 500. The thing though is i want either a 13.3 or 14.1 size.

9. Primes

Primes Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    A chromebook works the same way. You would download a file and it saves to your "downloads folder". You can play video files on a chromebook using the built in "video player" app, but for maximum compatibility I would download the VLC android app and play the video through that (assuming the chromebook you bought has android app support). Chrome OS also has native .Zip and .Rar mounting (although I have heard it may have issues with very large files.)

Chromebooks can not run any windows programs. If you rely on any windows programs a chromebook is probably not for you.
    If your thinking of running something like popcorn time or similar, a chromebook can't run those programs (to my knowledge). (the exception to this is the crossover android app which runs Wine on a chromebook and can run *some* windows programs).

If your thinking of a chromebook and want to know if it currently has android app support look here.

10. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 nͫٴiͤٴcͫٴeͤ੮Һ૯ ცɿ૭ ૭คעٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴ

Reputations:
    VLC is cancer

You're looking for http://www.videohelp.com/software/LAV-Filters-Megamix