Laptop to replace desktop PC

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by RuslanM, Oct 26, 2020.

1. RuslanM

RuslanM Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi Everyone,

I've been having great time with my PC for the past 4 years, I'll be having a child soon and want to have a laptop that will replace my desktop. Since I will be moving between rooms and houses I need portable yet very powerful laptop. Thanks for any suggestions! Lets start:

1) What is your budget?

5000$

2) What size notebook would you prefer?

Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen

3) Which country will you buying this notebook?

International, (I can purchase in US/ Europe since friends still travel).

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?

Doesn't matter really.
    5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?

No

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?

Gaming / Work / Business Trips

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?

Both

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? (If so, please state which games or types of games?)

Dota 2, CS:GO, World of tanks, Apex Legends, PUBG, Battlefield 5, WOW & new games to come out.

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?

Will always be connected to charger.

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?

Online without seeing

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows, Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc.

Windows

Screen Specifics

12) What screen resolution(s) would you prefer? (See further below for explanations.)

1920x1080 & atleast 144hz

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (See further below for explanations.)

Doesn't matter, will be connected to external screen.

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?

Somewhat

Notebook Components

15) How much hard drive space do you need?

1-2 TB

Timing, Warranty and Longevity

16) When are you buying this laptop?

Mid 2021

17) How long do you expect to use this laptop?

3 years minimum

18) How long could you afford to do without your laptop if it were to fail?

Have backup laptop :)

19) Would you be willing to pay significantly extra for on-site warranty, or would it be acceptable to you to have to ship the laptop to the vendor for repair with perhaps a week or more outage?

Can send laptop to vendor for repair.

Final note: I've been looking lately at Razer Blade 15, MSI GE66, XMG Apex 15, HIDevolution but I'm sure there's more and would love to see suggestions what would be the best..
    I want to have one charger so I could be mobile if needed. (travelling)
    Performance / No Throttling / Quiet (as much as possible) is what I'm looking for in my future laptop.
    Thanks in advance!

Last edited: Oct 26, 2020
  2. jotm

jotm Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Laptops are great, my personal recommendation are HP's ZBooks... however I've been looking more and more at small form factor PCs... These days, you just can't upgrade laptops anymore, besides drives and RAM. CPU's are soldered, GPU's are too expensive. And they will always lag in performance.

A Ryzen build with an nVidia card in an SFF case will be twice as fast as any laptop, at half the price, and will be easy to upgrade, likely for a long time. And the new cases are small enough to fit in luggage. ~23 inch monitors and keyboards are so thin you can fit them in the same bag, too.

The only downside is that they don't have a built in UPS, i.e. if power goes out, they shut down. But that hasn't been a problem for me for a long time.

Laptops, even workstation-class, just get hot. Too hot. Without repasting and undervolting, they *will* hit the temperature limit and throttle. The heatsinks are **** as always, but the processors have just been getting more power hungry and hotter, because there's no other way to increase performance.

I will use my trusty ZBook G2 for the foreseeable future, but the upgrade might be an SFF PC.

3. RuslanM

RuslanM Newbie

Reputations:
    First of all, thank you for replying!
    You're correct, I have been thinking earlier regarding small factor cases however not always will the laptop be connected to external Monitor and sometimes I will be traveling too or just for work hence I dropped that idea.

4. Clamibot

Clamibot Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I know you said you prefer 15 and 16 inch laptops, but if you're willing to go up to a 17 inch laptop, you should have a look at the Clevo X170. It's one of the last of it's kind (fully upgradeable DTR). It also has a really beefy cooling system. You'll get good temps with the i7 10700K and RTX 2070 configuration. This would fufill all your wants besides the size requirement. It's better than a SFF PC in my opinion.

Papusan likes this.
  5. RuslanM

RuslanM Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for the reply, I was checking earlier the 870 / 775 / X170SM and yes I know those clevo are desktop replacements.
    The only drawbacks to this would be that I would need to carry 2 chargers or 1 thick charger and the weight is too much to call it portable.
    If such Clevo would have exist with 1 charger I would probably not think about it and take it. Maybe clevo will make an all Ryzen laptop in 2021 hopefully.

Currently I'm researching the following:

Alienware m15 r3
    MSI GE66
    MSI GS66
    Gigabyte Aorus 15G
    Razer Blade Advanced
    XMG Neo 15

Last edited: Oct 28, 2020
  6. jotm

jotm Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Well, that XMG Apex 15 is technically a Clevo, and it looks really attractive with the Ryzen 9 3900 processor (which is only 65W TDP? wow, did AMD make a good comeback or what).

Not sure how reliable they are, people seem to like them, but there's also a lot of reports of various problems.

7. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I would go razer since you said you will be using it for business. They are the least "gamey" looking gaming laptops available. The facination with making god awful looking designs in gaming laptops is in full effect right now. The only gaming notebook I would consider is the Razer. Everything else looks like it was designed by a 4 year old.

8. RuslanM

RuslanM Newbie

Reputations:
    XMG Apex 15 is a Clevo NH58A or something.. it's a great laptop. Little bit bulky though.
    Hopefully I will have some this weekend and will make a table for compare. Would love to hear from people that own some of the models mentioned how are they.

9. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    The XMG is not too bad. But as you said super bulky.

10. MyHandsAreBurning

MyHandsAreBurning Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    As an owner, I would not recommend the XMG unless you heavily rely on multicore work loads i.e. with the 3900x or 3950x. My biggest peeve is the combination of a locked BIOS and a default 1.33V peak core voltage - which means that at default settings my 3950x machine boosts even in idle to maintain sweltering 60C or so. With judicious undervolting and core parking settings, that can be fixed, but this does mean the laptop is strictly for a power user.

The 8 core and below CPUs probably run perfectly fine, but you're getting one of the thiccest 'laptops' around as a tradeoff (and the performance increase over a mobile 8 core processor is not that much anyway). That being said if you hardly ever move the laptop, worth considering.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2020