1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

laptop to play World of warcraft on?

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by glancealot, Mar 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. glancealot

glancealot Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    apparently even my wife's one year old laptop can run WoW quite smoothly(although i have to turn explorer.exe off, disable audio, make all the video settings minimum)....

so what this guy said was right on money.

basically, all you need is a modern PC/laptop, but with lots of ram, to run WoW. my wife's laptop only has 1G, the one i ordered has 4G, i bet I can even run WoW on medium settings.

I just wanted to say thank you to all the people that helped!

especially sikyon

the laptop that i finally decided to get is this one (other WoW gamers should give it a shot too)

[​IMG]

2.0GHz/800Mhz FSB/1MB cache,4GB,Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X4500HD

(The difference between the GMA X4500 and the GMA X4500HD is that the GMA X4500HD is capable of "full 1080p high-definition video playback, including Blu-ray disc movies",[12] the GMA X4500 however does not have that capability.[13] The G43 and the G45 chipsets are manufactured with 65nm technology.)

not too shabby for (after tax) ($670.88 CAD) $544.728 USD

the good thing about the one that i bought:

http://www.imagedump.com/image.cgi?file=547022.jpg

is that, it comes with 4G ram, which is top of the line for laptops, also a descent CPU and one of the most advanced integrated graphic cards, which performs about the same level as some low end dedicated graphic cards. and most importantly it's only $670 including tax.

as sikyon mentioned here, WoW is the kind of 3-D game that relies on memory more than graphic cards.

as you can see here (quoting someone from the official World of Warcraft forums)

"For the heck of I tried WoW on my wifes Toshiba laptop. She has a dual core T3400 @ 2.16Ghz, 2GB of ram, the intergrated 4500 gpu being discussed. The game running at 1280x720 averaged around 20fps in Stormwind and the graphics looked fine so this might not too bad a choice if you wanna go that way.

here is a video showing wow's performance on an older generation of GMA(X3100) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhMOMQBvy0Y

the difference between 3100 and 4500 is that, quoting wikipedia:

Like the X3500, X4500 supports DirectX 10 and Shader Model 4.0 features. Intel designed the GMA X4500 to be 200% faster than the GMA 3100 (G33 chipset) in 3DMark06 performance[20]

I am planning to buy a laptop solely for playing world of warcraft.

quoted from WoW's official website:

What are the system requirements for World of Warcraft?

PC System Requirements

OS: Windows XP / Windows Vista (with latest Service Packs)

Processor:

Minimum: Intel Pentium 4 1.3 GHz or AMD Athlon XP 1500+
    Recommended: Dual-core processor, such as the Intel Pentium D or AMD Athlon 64 X2

Memory:

Minimum: 512 MB RAM (1GB for Vista users)
    Recommended: 1 GB RAM (2 GB for Vista users)

Video:

Minimum: 3D graphics processor with Hardware Transform and Lighting with 32 MB VRAM Such as an ATI Radeon 7200 or NVIDIA GeForce 2 class card or better
    Recommended: 3D graphics processor with Vertex and Pixel Shader capability with 128 MB VRAM Such as an ATI Radeon X1600 or NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT class card or better

Sound: DirectX-compatible sound card or motherboard sound capability

i am planning to spend less than $800, definitely no more than $850, i was referred to this by a friend

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=4485023

after shipping and tax it will cost me about $750, note how in the description it says

Graphics Description: Dedicated Graphics

GPU/VPU: nVidia GeForce 8200M

Video Memory: up to 895MB

Video Interface: VGA

does this mean it comes with a graphic card? and why does it say "up to 895 mb" shouldn't the video memory of a graphic card be a fixed number?

on the other hand, for just $50 more i can get

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4374296&CatId=3444

this one however says:

GPU/VPU: Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 4500

Video Memory: Up to 1759 MB Total Available Graphics Memory

does that mean it uses part of its ram as graphic use? i know that's not as good as a stand-alone graphic card like the previous one. but other-wise it looks quite a bit better than the previous computer right?

so my question is, which one should i buy? or can you refer me to a better deal? or in general, what kind of laptop should i get to play world of warcraft relatively comfortably?

START COPY
    ==========

General Questions

1) What is your budget?

preferably less than 800, definitely less than 850.

2) What size notebook would you prefer?

d. Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen
    e. Desktop Replacement; 17"+ screen

3) Where will you buying this notebook? You can select the flag of your country as an indicator.

canada

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?

nope

5) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?

play world of warcraft

6) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?

take it with me to different places

7) Will you be playing games on it; if so, which games or types of games?

world of warcraft

8) How many hours of battery life do you need?

doesn't matter i will try to keep it plugged in all the time

9) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?

ya buying online is fine

10) What OS do you prefer? Windows (XP or Vista), Mac OS, Linux, etc.

i can use anything as long as world of warcraft can run on it.

Screen Specifics

11) From the choices below, what screen resolutions would you prefer?

12) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen?

11 and 12 are too technical for me. sorry

13) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?

nope not at all.

14) When are you buying this laptop and how long do you want this laptop to last?

as soon as possible and as long as possible.

15) How much hard drive space do you want; 80GB to 500GB? Do you want a SSD drive?

80 GB is more than enough; as long as the price doesn't go up, the more the merrier;

16) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a CDRW/DVD-ROM, DVD Burner or Blu-Ray drive?

not really.

==========
    END COPY

bump for more to see!

I am thinking about getting http://configure.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=ca&CS=cadhs1&l=en&OC=NI152_F_1E

as you can see here(quoting someone from the official world of warcraft forums)

"For the heck of I tried WoW on my wifes Toshiba laptop. She has a dual core T3400 @ 2.16Ghz, 2GB of ram, the intergrated 4500 gpu being discussed. The game running at 1280x720 averaged around 20fps in Stormwind and the graphics looked fine so this might not too bad a choice if you wanna go that way.

Edit: To clarify I was running the game with max settings so you'd probably get 30 - 40 fps with low settings. I could plug her up again to verify that if you like. "

this model of inspiron is better than his wife's computer so i think WoW will run fine.

any suggestions?

2. dfirstevilangel

dfirstevilangel Notebook Guru

Reputations:
  3. glancealot

Reputations:
  4. dfirstevilangel

Reputations:
    maybe try ebay? alot of sellers ship to international

5. crash

crash NBR Assassin Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Moved to "What Notebook Should I Buy?" forum.

6. joshthor

joshthor 100% Crazy Sauce

Reputations:
  7. dfirstevilangel

Reputations:
    1US ~ 1.2 CAD

so
    $799 US is around 1015 CAD
    look at it this way, you get a $15 discount lol

8. glancealot

Reputations:
    i don't buy from ebay or amazon as i prefer to buy from a(n) (online) retailer instead of an individual.

anyone interested in answering some of the questions i asked in the original post?

9. DWil

DWil Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    With the specs listed on the compaq you will be running at the very low end of what wow requires and will more the likely chunk pretty bad in dalaran and will surely bog down in any 25 man. IMO if you are willing to spend that much on a lappy and want one for gaming (even a low req game like wow) it's worth your money to save a bit more and get something like the asus g50vt-x5. Not sure if they have best buy in canada but laptops are a different beast all together when it comes to gaming.

To answer your questions:
    The 8200m is a dedicated graphics card but most lappys can borrow a bit from the system memory which is why it says up to 892.

The second one for $50 more, like the person above said, has an integrated card which has no hope of being able to play most games.

For what you are looking to spend you will be hard pressed to find a laptop that can play wow at any reasonable specs unless you buy used or a refurbished one. The specs listed for wow are for desktop versions of things and laptop video cards run at lower clock speeds then their desktop counter parts. I would suggest one with a 9600gs/gts along with a 2ghz processor to be able to play wow with any type of fluidity. I'll do some looking for ya and see what I can find.

10. Biscuit

Biscuit Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  11. glancealot

Reputations:
    thank you soooo much for your quick response.

so let me get this straight:

2ghz processor, does it matter if it's Dual-Core or not? how about FSB or Cache?

a graphic card that is XY96** or higher;

how about memory?

oh and are Mac's in general faster than PC's with same price? but as far as i am concerned, mac's seem to be at least 1~1.2k which is beyond my reach...

12. DWil

DWil Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  13. glancealot

Reputations:
    thank you for your help;

however those you linked(and the second one i linked) don't have independent graphic cards and aren't suitable for gaming. i just found this out too.

14. DWil

DWil Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Mac's are generally slower then their PC counterparts for what you spend on them. You will most definatly want a dual core processor and most laptop you will find now have them. As far as memory, 2gigs is plenty for wow, 1 gig is a bit low and 3 is moderate overkill. As far as cache goes, most dual core processors will have 3 megs on die but 512k is plenty as cache isn't a huge deal.
    An nvidia 9600 series will surely do the job but if you want to go as budget as possible check the list i just posted for a comparable ati card which generally will cost less.

15. glancealot

Reputations:
    i see, thanks again!

the first that i linked has GeForce 8200M which is in class 3 on the list you linked. you mentioned that WoW will not run smooth, so does it mean i need to find a laptop with a graphic card that is in class 2? (class 1's for sure i won't be able to afford)

16. Dreznin

Dreznin Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Just try to find a machine with a dedicated GPU. Use craigslist and search, you can probably find a used machine with a 8700M or 8800M series in your price range. Also keep an eye on the NBR Marketplace, there are always good notebooks coming up for sale.

17. glancealot

Reputations:
    anyone found any good deals?

18. glancealot

Reputations:
    can someone please link some good deals in canada?

19. glancealot

Reputations:
  20. Dreznin

Dreznin Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The second one is a 8200M, which actually isn't a Dedicated card. I bought a HP with a 8200M in it about a year ago, it had a hard time with WildTangent games. What you want to look on the Nvidia lineup for WoW are:

8600M
    8700M
    8800M
    9500M
    9600M
    9650M
    9700M
    9800M

That would do you well for WoW, even with WotLK and BC.

What part of Canada are you looking in? That might help me find you a good local-ish deal.