Laptop that lasted a long time even running hot?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by sweatyballz, Dec 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hizzaah

hizzaah Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    20C if you're asking me.. I can use throttle stop though and keep my temps down that way (usually stays under 25C if I luck the multi to 22). Or I pop off the bottom cover and throw it on a cooling pad when I'm at home, no throttle stop nets me 27-28C

2. Tree_Burner

Tree_Burner Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I constantly game on mine in sig. Going on four years with it. The gpu needs repasting, but I don't have paste so I'm running out on a cooling pad with the bottom off. Keeps it under 90 in most sessions. =)

Sent from my phone.

3. Teraforce

Teraforce Flying through life

Reputations:
    My HP Compaq nw8440 from 2006, which still works despite the fact that the only time it ever runs cool is during the first 10-15 minutes after it's been powered on, combined with the fact that it has been turned on almost every day since I've had it (7 years!).

The CPU temps are generally in the low 50C range at complete idle; doing "normal" things on it (surfing internet, etc.) causes the CPU to be in the mid 60C range. Under full load, the temps shoot to ~83C within 5-10 seconds, and if I don't clean the vents regularly, the temps will slowly rise from 83C and will not stop (until the load lightens up, at least) The highest CPU temps I saw on that nw8440 were 100 or 101C; with the current BIOS I have, that's supposed to trigger a thermal shutdown, but that never happened (IIRC, the earlier BIOSes didn't have thermal shutdowns!).

However, when I was in college, several of my classmates did experience thermal shutdowns on their nw8440s; however, they would NEVER clean the vents on theirs--I could tell b/c the fan noise was at a MUCH higher pitch at a given speed than it was supposed to be (everyone who entered my college in 2006 and 2007 got nw8440s; though the 2007 nw8440s had more RAM and better CPUs).

Below is a pic that shows the reason why the nw8440 (and its non-workstation version, the nc8430) runs so hot: Clockwise from the fan, you have the GPU (An ATi FireGL V5200/Radeon X1600 256MB), Northbridge, and CPU (Core Duo T2600). All right next to each other.
    *FACEPALM*
    inside.jpg

4. Jobine

Jobine Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Sweaty, my tip to you (and all SLI edition Y series owners) is to take out the SLI bay when not using it, your temps will go down by a good amount.

5. octiceps

octiceps Nimrod

Reputations:
    Actually it doesn't. Temps are pretty much the same.

6. Jobine

Jobine Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Y500 doesn't have optimus. So it wouldn't change much.

7. octiceps

octiceps Nimrod

Reputations:
    So you game on integrated graphics? I thought the topic at hand was load temperatures. Idle temperatures don't even matter.

8. Datamonger

Datamonger Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    That sounds like my MacBook Pro as well. I'm pretty sure that it could use a repaste, but I don't want to basically completely disassemble my computer for that. I also don't use it nearly as often as I used to, so that probably attributes to how long it's lasted without any problems.

9. Teraforce

Teraforce Flying through life

Reputations:
    That's Apple for you.

I just checked the service guide for my nw8440--All I have to do to re-paste mine is remove the keyboard, fan, and CPU heatsink (and the thermal plate if I wanted to re-paste the Northbridge). I apologize if I sound like I'm bragging, but then again, your MacBook is still fairly new (Core i7 from 2011), especially when compared to my old HP (Core Duo from 2006)

10. misft33333

misft33333 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    My first laptop was a tecra 8000 that did not have a working fan. Essentially I would play games until it would overheat, shut itself off, then I would wait like 10 to 30 minutes to play games again.

I did this for several months, maybe more, but I can not remember (I was new to technology at the time)

When I think back about this, that is pretty incredible

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.