Laptop suggestions for Gaming and Photo editing!

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Ckhurana, Sep 17, 2020.

1. Ckhurana

Ckhurana Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hello folks,

Here is the quick TL;DR version of my requirement -

Need suggestions for purchasing a respectably configured (budget friendly) laptop in India which supports medium (to high?) setting gaming (at least for existing titles like Fortnite), and photo editing (I am an enthusiast photographer), and preferably situated under INR 1,00,000 OR $1400 USD.

Now the Long version -

I am a returning gamer, an erstwhile Alienware user who has owned both the Alienware 15 R1 (which was replaced 3 years back with...) and the 15 R3, before I gave up gaming and sold off the R3.

Both the R1, and R3 were purchased and couriered by my friends from the US to India over the past years (thank you guys). Although the R3 was a very good configuration (a Dell exchange for a faulty R2), a prime reason for my final parting with DELL was the thermals... that R3 could cook eggs while on GTA 5!

Now, here are my present needs
    1. Gaming - Can play new titles (Fortnite?) at medium settings;
    2. Edit photos and videos - Lightroom, Photoshop. Specifically I need to edit DSLR's RAW photos and videos as well.
    My maximum budget is INR 1,00,000 OR $1400 USD.

And the preferable specs are as under -
    1. Processor - AMD Ryzen 7 4800HS
    2. GPU - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 Max-Q
    3. RAM - Min 16 GB (Dual channel preferred)
    4. Storage - EITHER a combo of 256GB SSD + extra 1TB HDD OR single 512GB SSD (with added HDD bay preferred).
    5. OS - Windows 10 Pro OR w/o Windows (with DOS?) is preferred
    The build should be reliable, and considering all things I have been through with Alienware, it should not heat much!

Also, suggestions for Ryzen welcome more than Intel;

Any questions, please ask!

Thank you!
    Chetan

Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
  2. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies Lead Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Try the Acer Predator Helios 300, Lenovo Legion 5i, or HP Omen 15T. They may not have some of your requirements, but with a limited budget, you'll likely need to compromise somewhere.

Side note: AMD Ryzen processors are fast, but I don't see a problem with an Intel Core i7 chip for what you're doing.

Charles

3. Ckhurana

Reputations:
    Charles, thank you for the revert!
    What do you consider as a good enough budget for a decent configuration lasting me a couple of years or maybe 3 years?
    The reason I am wary of Intel is the the thermal issues I have had in the past with the R1 & R3.

4. Charles P. Jefferies

Reputations:
    Every laptop is different; it is illogical to blame heat issues solely on the processor, as any laptop can run hot if it has a poor thermal solution.

At the minimum, I suggest a six-core CPU and a 6GB GTX 1660 Ti or RTX 2060 for AAA gaming over the next few years.

Charles

Papusan likes this.
  5. Ckhurana

Reputations:
    In India the similar configuration goes for much higher cost than the US counterparts. Ryzen is a comparatively cheaper deal b for a similar performance if you compare it with similar performing Intel Chipset. Hence my preference.

Would be thankful for any specific models you could suggest?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

6. Charles P. Jefferies

Reputations:
    What laptops are in your price range in India? Let's start there.

The AMD-based MSI Bravo 15 comes to mind as an affordable gaming notebook - at least in the U.S. - through it only has a 4GB graphics card. Dell's G3/G5 15 series should be

Going second-hand is something to consider. The current generation Nvidia graphics cards have been in notebooks since 2018, so used notebooks with them should be readily available.

Charles

7. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    as I just bought msi gs63vr and the fan went as per everyone owning this laptop I highly recommend anything but the msi gs series but the lenovo legion 5i seems to fit the bill..I highly recommend going with the 2060 version as it should last 4 years 1080p low gaming.