Laptop Security?

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by Drew1, Aug 22, 2017.

1. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    1) I don’t know. Your CPU also factors into how long it will take. Just as a guess, I’d say a it will take a few hours to fully encrypt a drive.

2) Depends on what your backup is. If you’re backing up to an external hard drive, it’ll be as fast as whatever USB port you’re using or how fast the drive itself is (whichever is slower). If you’re doing an online backup, it’s likely to be however fast your upload speeds are or what the rate limit is on the online backup service you’re using (whichever is slower), but will very likely be slower than an external backup.

As a side note, if you’re going to do a backup, do it correctly. Use a 3-2-1 plan (https://www.backblaze.com/blog/the-3-2-1-backup-strategy/) or better and be sure to test your backups. Otherwise, you don’t really have a backup.

3) No, simply having a Windows account password wont prevent that. If someone has physical access to your drive and plugs it into their computer, they can do whatever they want with your unencrypted data. They can read the files, copy the files to their computer, they can edit the files, they can delete your files, they can add new files to your drive, etc.

2. Liikt

Liikt Newbie

Reputations:
    Since bitlocker is using aes it should be reasonably fast. Even with a 256-bit key. I doubt it will take more than half an hour for 500gb (never tested it though).

EDIT: nvm it has to be really fast since you encrypt basucally your entire hard drive on shut down. So it is pretty fast

Last edited: Dec 11, 2017
  3. Drew1

Drew1 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hey all. I like to do this now. So where am i suppose to download bitlocker? So all of you guys are in agreement bitlocker is the preferred program for what i want here?

Im using windows 10 pro on my laptop. Someone said if you have windows 10 pro, you get windows bitlocker for free but if you have other version, you have to pay for it?

So again this is what i want. I want my laptop to be locked where if someone has access to my laptop, they cannot just view everything on it and of course download virus/files to hack my computer. Because if someone has access to my laptop and then just turns it on, not only can they see what programs i have... but they basically could just download virus/malware or anything like that and basically my entire computer will be compromised right? Basically it would be like you downloading malware on your computer itself but that person could download specific virus/malware and basically they could do what they want etc?

As for my documents, i secure many of them with axcrypt. I think its great program. So unless im signed into axcrypt, then you cant access certain documents i locked.

But of course if someone has access to my computer and just turns it on, that means my documents even with axcrypt isn't going to mean much right?

4. Drew1

Drew1 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Also is this process hard or not as im not that tech savy.

5. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    Bitlocker only comes on certain versions of Windows (such as Pro); you cant buy Bitlocker separately if you don’t have the right Windows version. If you can’t use Bitlocker, I’d use VeraCrypt as an alternate (and it’s what I personally use),. I don’t know anything about axcrypt, so I can’t comment on that.

And you basically have it right. If someone gets a hold of your computer and can’t log in, they won’t be able to see anything on your hard drive if you do full-disk encryption (not even what software you have installed can be viewed). If you don’t do full-disk encryption and instead only encrypt certain files/folders, then someone can still see the other contents of your hard drive; they just won’t be able to access whatever files/folders you’ve encrypted.

6. Drew1

Drew1 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hi there got a question. I know a place near me where a guy is very smart with computers and fixes pcs etc. I had went to him before for other issues. If i had him install bitlocker or veracrypt on it, do you know how long it would take for someone to do this? And also how much he should charge for a service like this.

7. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    Don’t know (how long it takes depends on several factors) and don’t know (I’m not in the business of pricing out computer services, and I just do this on my own anyway).

8. Primes

Primes Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Ya, one word - Chromebook.

The local drive is encrypted, as well as its cloud storage.
    The boot image is verified.
    The browser and apps are sandboxed.
    Choose a strong password and even 2 factor authentication such as a yubi key.
    It's security made easy.

(Of course nothing is perfect. It probably could be compromised by man-in-the-middle attacks and DNS spoofs.)

9. Drew1

Drew1 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I did get a chromebook. But thats for web browsing and streaming so no big deal. There is a password to my chromebook and even if somehow someone gets in, not big deal as i dont put any important information in

For my dell xps 15 9550, you guys suggest bitlocker still for what i want to do right? Basically i have a dell xps 15 9550 laptop where i dont want any issue if someone were to get access to my laptop, well as long as they dont get into my documents and put in a virus etc im fine. I use windows 10 on it. Thus imagine a hacker knows you have important information on your computer and somehow had access to your laptop physically let say. Well if they turn on your computer with no issue, i know they could install some virus/trojan so next time you turn on laptop and type in passwords, well everything is going to show up on their computer etc. I heard this is with keystrokes etc. Thus if you download a program that has virus/trojan, same thing can happen when you enter accounts and passwords etc and that person has it. But for me, i would be more careful going to sites online on the computer. But if someone had access to my laptop somehow or stole it and get access to it easily, then that would be bad

The thing is could i try downloading bitlocker and try to do this on an old windows 7 desktop before i try this on my windows 10 dell xps laptop? Is this process pretty complicated for someone not that tech savy? I read that you need to encrypt hard drive. So how many passwords do you need? So you just can't use bitlocker and put down a password and that is all when you log in? It needs to be a couple of them? Someone said if you just use the windows password, they could just take out hard drive and go through your hard drive easily.

10. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    As mentioned sometime ago, encrypting your hard drive (or files) helps against the sort of attack you describe at the end of your post (someone getting physical access to your machine and pulling the drive). It won’t help you avoid malware though.