Laptop Screen Upgrades

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by sicily428, Apr 27, 2018.

1. senso

senso Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    After sourcing another N173HHE-G32, this time a legit one, brightness controls work perfectly, and the display is gorgeous.

So, if anyone sees this in the future, it works perfectly on the GT72.

sicily428 likes this.
  2. sicily428

sicily428 Donuts!! :)

Reputations:
  3. Voltran

Voltran Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I would like to upgrade the screen of a Dell G5 (aka the latest version of the Inspiron 7000 series laptop), so far I have narrowed down the choice a few panels.

- AUO B156HAN01.1
    - Samsung LTN156HL01 (-101 ? -102? -nothing behind?) I don't know which version to choose
    - BOE NV156FHM-N43
    - LG LP156WF6-SPB1 (seems a little less color accurate, and there are a lot of -XXXX versions that are very different)

But my biggest issue is how to source those panels.

What I want is something shipping from Europe both for taxes and shipping costs, and also, obeviously I don't want to get a compatible panel with low or average gamut.

EDIT: The Chi Mei n156hhe-ga1 (120 Hz wide gamut TN) seems to be a decent option too. Same question applies.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2018
  4. ellalan

ellalan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You can buy from Touchandscreen.de, you can get the confirmation from them about the exact screen model you will get by email, I have purchased from them and received the exact model I wanted and not any compatible screen.
    https://www.touchandscreen.de/

5. Voltran

Voltran Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Actually, I ended up contacting them on eBay (seller with same store name, same phone, address and everything). The closest they had to my requirement was the N156HCE-EBA at 220cd/m2.

http://www.panelook.com/N156HCE-EBA_Innolux_15.6_LCM_overview_25820.html

6. sicily428

Reputations:
    Hi @t456! A non-touchscreen panel can be upgraded with a touchscreen panel?

7. ellalan

ellalan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    When I checked in their site(not ebay), I have found two of your intended screens available, anyway, their stock availability change often, so you may have to keep on checking the availability.
    https://www.touchandscreen.de/AUO-B156HAN011-LED-Display-156-eDP-Full-HD-matt
    https://www.touchandscreen.de/BOE-NV156FHM-N43-LED-Display-156-eDP-Full-HD-matt

8. t456

t456 1977-09-05, 12:56:00 UTC Moderator

Reputations:
    A touchscreen is a separate device on top of the lcd. This is the same for phones, tablets and (laptop) panels. So if the system does not natively support the digitizer (separate connector) then it won't support touch, even though the lcd in the combined lcd+digitizer would still function fine.

Most configurations use a 'combined' cable; two connectors at the lcd and digitizer end, taped together to facilitate threading through the hinge and then either splitting off again at the mb connector side or using a single 2-in-1 connector. In either option the wires are all electronically separate from one another. Most likely, if the system supports touch, you'd probably still need a different cable since the non-touch cable would be cheaper to manufacture (fewer wires) and it's unlikely the builder didn't safe that extra penny.

sicily428 likes this.
  9. sicily428

Reputations:

10. Voltran

Voltran Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I emailed them last week and they only had one IPS wide gamut panel available (the one I mentioned) despite having multiple models listed as in stock.

Their website even clearly states

I actually managed to get a Samsung LTN156HL01 from dallexpress.com, they also usually ship compatible panels but their only wide gamut IPS panel happens to be the Samsung one.

Installed it the day before and it's visually leagues above the Dell IPS.