Laptop Screen Upgrades

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by sicily428, Apr 27, 2018.

1. Tech Junky

Tech Junky Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Jovial_Jack likes this.
  2. Jovial_Jack

Jovial_Jack Newbie

Reputations:
    Epic write up. Good to know about kreplacement.com. Bummer that HDR isn't allowing full brightness with your setup. I've also observed HDR being a PITA with my PC/TV setup and regular PC monitors. I sure hope HDR with PCs becomes problem free in the coming years.

3. Tech Junky

Reputations:
    I'm not too worried about the HDR part as going from 262K colors to 1.x billion colors made quite the difference anyway. HDR in general even on my TV seems to be dim in comparison to not using it. Eventually they'll work out the kinks with some new acronym that costs more.

4. Blacky

Blacky Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I am trying to see if I can put a QHD display on my laptop, particularly the B173QTN01.5 with eDP 1.4.

Right now, I have the N173HGE-E11 panel with eDP 1.2.

The current cable is a 30 pin eDP, and the new B173QTN01.5 is a 40 pin EDP. In theory, I could put a 40 pin display on my laptop as the 30 pin cable has two eDP lanes and the 40 pin is four lanes. But I am not expecting to run the B173QTN01.5 at 120Hz but 60Hz.

That being said, I bought a 30pin to 40pin adapter: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/373582662757
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/wwrRoc2v8y8ye95v8
    But of course, it doesn't work!

Why?

When I put the adapter cable with the new display, the power adapter will always go dark as if there is some power surge or short.

The new display, in theory, does not consume more power than the old one.
    https://www.panelook.com/modelcompare.php?ids=20840,39952

5. Jovial_Jack

Jovial_Jack Newbie

Reputations:
    I attempted something similar and purchased that exact same adapter from that eBay seller. I imagined I would be able to connect a UHD 40 pin display with that adapter and a 30 pin EDP cable and just operate the UHD display at FHD 60hz resolution.

What happened was it burnt out a mosfet on my motherboard (Dell Precision 7510) within about 5-10 seconds of power on. Very very frustrating that EDP 4 lanes isn't necessarily downwards compatible to use just 2 lanes. My scenario didn't involve any touchscreens, however my laptop in question was using one or more of the pins for an integrated webcam.

I'll let the experts elaborate on use cases where such an adapter actually works (apparently some particular intel NUCs). I encourage you to not make any more attempts powering it on with that 30->40 pin adapter as it's clearly shorting out. Hopefully your laptop is more resilient than mine and your motherboard isn't harmed.

tilleroftheearth likes this.
  6. Blacky

Blacky Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    My motherboard is fine. I placed back in the old display and currently typing from the laptop. I will no longer try to make this upgrade. For now I just need to confirm that the screen I bought is working so that I may sell it.

tilleroftheearth likes this.
  7. Tech Junky

Reputations:
    @Blacky

I would dig through the service manual and see if there's a 4K cable associated with it. That's how I found my 30 <> 40 cable. Then I picked it up w/ the new panel through kreplacement.com The cable was ~$15 bit, shipped w/ both items FedEx expedited ~$150.

Adapters introduce weird things in my experience. with some devices. Others it's not an issue. The quick flash of the power button leads me to believe there's a short or mismatch w/ the cable + adapter.

8. Blacky

Blacky Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I've checked the manual, there is no 4K cable associated with it. I believe the problem may due to the difference in power consumption. Both panels are 3.3V, but one has 0.5 A while the other has 1.37 A at peak. I think that's what tripping the power source. I used 3 different 30<>40 adapters so far and on all of them, two of the lines seem to burn up probably due to the extra current. It's just a theory though.

9. M4980

M4980 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey guys, been looking into upgrading the screen on my M4800 and I've come across the 1440p 240Hz LG 156QHG display from the Alienware X15 R5/6.
    I currently have the 1080p eDP model of the M4800 which should work with this screen if I change it for the 40-pin QHD eDP cable and apply a 0.4 to 0.5 pitch adapter if necessary. (The M4800 has 0.4 pitch).

Does anyone see any issues with this?
    Will the 40-pin eDP 1.3 connection be enough to drive this display?

10. Tech Junky

Reputations:
    @M4980

You should really verify the actual model w/ HWINFO and then looking up the specs and go from there. There might be an easier match w/o using an adapter for the pin pitch. If you provide the CPU / GPU it's easier to assess compatibility by looking up the specs for each of them. QHD shouldn't be much of an issue with a recent CPU/GPU but, still better to verify before jumping in head first.