Laptop Screen Upgrades

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by sicily428, Apr 27, 2018.

1. Tech Junky

Tech Junky Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    @Aka Coo

Depending ont he laptop you can grab a 30 <> 40 cable that just snaps into place of the existing 30<>3- cable. I did this with my panel swap upgrading from FHD to 4K and it was painless other than pulling additional screws to route the cable through the hinge on the lid. The cable was ~$15 when I ordered the panel + cable from kreplacement.com Otherwise ordering elsewhere would require a delay in shipping arrival of both items. KR is a bit slow to respond to e-mails though so some patience is needed but, you get what you want and not some compatible model. If you have something specific in mind that they don't carry they can source it for you from another local vendor in CN. The issue then becomes if you can find the model # of the cable offering the 40 pin output. Otherwise there are adapters you can find as well as @Pedro69 did with his replacement.

Aka Coo likes this.
  2. Aka Coo

Aka Coo Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  3. Tech Junky

Reputations:
    @Aka Coo

Looks like an option. If you want to keep it simple ask kreplacement.com if they carry one or the actual cable that fans from 30 to 40. Less breaks in the path is more ideal if something goes haywire.

When I was panel shopping AE was a contender until I tried to place an order and then they wanted copies of my DL / CC front/back to process the order. I backed out and found another dealer but, then ended up with KR.

Aka Coo likes this.
  4. Aka Coo

Reputations:
    @Tech Junky
    I sent an e-mail to KR and also sent a message from WP. Could you find a guide video or post about this suggestion and share it? So it's about replacing the screen of a 30pin laptop with a 40pin... :3

5. Tech Junky

Reputations:
    @Aka Coo

The 30 pin EDP on the Laptop can handle higher pins on the output side to the panel.

It's really simple though it throws people for a loop trying to imagine how things connect. The main reason for putting a 40 pin connector on the panel side is to provide more bandwidth from the EDP connection.

Not all of the wires are used in these cables anyway or they would be significantly thicker and harder to route the way they do. If your GPU specs support x/y/z then it's up to the cable to provide the correct output pins to the panel.

For instance I have a GTX1650 GPU and my version of this particular laptop never came with a 4K option. I went hunting for the specs from the CPU/GPU/eDP to confirm they all supported a 4K panel being used even though it wasn't offered from Clevo. Moving from the CPU >>> Panel the chain was able to support 4K. Since I'm into details I had the part # of the OEM 4K option and supplied it to KR and they got one for me.

Replacing the panel / cable took ~15 minutes and fired right up. I needed to adjust the resolution and it was off to the races. Tricky part was threading the cable through the hinges along the same path but, take your time and it works out fine. You need to flip the laptop a couple of times / balances it on your knees / do a summersault / rub your head and tummy at the same time to get it done. JK it's really not difficult but you do have to flip it / balance it if you want to test the panel before putting everything back together. Sometimes cables don't seat all the way and then you're left pulling everything apart again to reseat a cable.

Aka Coo likes this.
  6. Aka Coo

Reputations:
    @Tech Junky
    You are great my mate. You answered all my questions! I'm currently waiting for KR to reply to my email. I hope I succeed! <3

7. Tech Junky

Reputations:
    @Aka Coo

I'm sure you will. If you do a write up it might help others ;)

Aka Coo likes this.
  8. Jovial_Jack

Jovial_Jack Newbie

Reputations:
    I work on a laptop in the sun often. I hope to buy a HP ZBook 15 G5 with a low end FHD LCD and upgrade it to the highest end UHD LCD (600 nit) offered for this model. Apparently it's a B156ZAN03.3. I think I can persist to get a seller with the exact panel, yet I'm having difficulty finding anyone else who has done a FHD to UHD upgrade on this model.

HP service manuals seem to indicate the unit uses the exact same 40 pin cabling for all FHD and UHD offerings for this model. HP chat support advised the same. I'm excited this could be an easy upgrade. From what I understand this model is 1-2 years after HP ceased doing LCD whitelists. B156ZAN03.3 doesn't have different HW versions either so that shouldn’t be able to cause possible headaches. Since I'd be installing the exact LCD panel that corresponds to the OEM part, PWM brightness control issues shouldn't be a possibility.

Is there anything obvious I'm failing to consider about this effort?

I originally hoped to buy a Precision 7520 or 7530, but the limited 300 nit panel offerings and .4mm pin pitch limiting the options for upgraded panels ruled that out. I ruled out Lenovo P52 for other reasons.

9. Tech Junky

Reputations:
    Go on panelook and get the dimensions and you might be able to find something brighter in UHD. 600 though might be bright enough. Daylight though might need closer to 1000 to not wash out too bad. The one I went with is IIRC 500 and indoors I keep it at 50% or less.

Jovial_Jack likes this.
  10. Jovial_Jack

Jovial_Jack Newbie

Reputations:
    Will do. Assuming this goes well, I'll likely setup my brother with a similar good laptop with upgraded LCD. What model laptop were you able to upgrade to that 500 nit panel?