Laptop Screen Upgrades

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by sicily428, Apr 27, 2018.

1. GigilinE

GigilinE Newbie

Reputations:
    My cpu is Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8750H CPU @ 2.20GHz
    1 gpu is : Intel UHD Graphics 630
    2 gpu is: nVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060

my hardware can supports also 240hz, you think if i buy cable 40 to 40 and monitor 120/144hz working?

EDIT: sorry but why you have post 240k color?

2. Tech Junky

Tech Junky Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    With those specs and a new cable you should be fine.
    I'm running a 9750H / GTX1650 and picked up a 4K that's working great.
    Sometimes finding the cable can be an issue. If you can't find one check with kreplacement.com as they seem to be able to source them easily along with the panels.

Be aware of "compatible" shipments and specify / verify the specific panel being shipped vs another model that's comparable in their eyes when it comes to any seller. I had zeroed in on a specific model and got something totally different / returned it and then went with KR but ran into the swap issue again but had backup models in mind already and picked the next best option from specs / value.

3. GigilinE

GigilinE Newbie

Reputations:
    i want see datasheet on panelook but it ask 800$ lol
    you have a plan for see B173HAN01.3 and B173HAN01.6?
    the first is 30 pin (my panel) and second is 40 pin, i want see if is compatible

4. Tech Junky

Tech Junky Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    They're essentially the same panel with different revisions being .3 and .6

https://www.panelook.com/modelcompare.php?ids=33384,35469

One is 30P and other is 40P
    .3 is 2 Lane / .6 is 4 Lane
    .3 is 262K / .6 is 16.7M
    .6 will use slightly more power because of the higher refresh rate.

All you need is a cable that will output 40 pins instead of 30.

5. dglt

dglt Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    does anyone know which pins on a 40 pin eDP LCD panel are used for EDID? im trying to program a custom EDID directly to the panel, i have a TL866II+ programmer and i have a cable meant for programming the edid stored on the displays rom chip but its not detecting it so i think the cable may be junk. the cable im referring to is below, would it be easier for me to just direct connect to the appropriate pins and the dump/write/verify?
    upload_2021-1-11_9-13-5.png

6. t456

t456 1977-09-05, 12:56:00 UTC

Reputations:
    For most 40-pin eDPs it is 34, 35 and one of the V+s and grounds. In this panel (on the right) those are labeled 'LCD_VCC' and 'LCD_GND':

[​IMG]
    Note that 'LED Ground', 'LED Power Supply', 'BKLT_GND' and 'BKLT_PWR' and suchlike designate pins specifically for the backlight power circuit and run on much higher voltages, about ~19V vs. 3.3V for the control circuit (barring a few 3D panels that use 5V). Of course, you don't want to connect to these pins to power the puny eeprom.

Either way, the above is probably correct for your panel as well, but can't hurt to verify with the panel specification sheet (Google or Panelook). Once you have verified which pins you actually need then check whether these are populated on your cable (peel back the yellow wrapper). If they're not then simply desolder some of the other wires and reconnect them, similar to what this user has done in a similar pinch.

If, however, they are populated then blame the programmer. There's tons and tons of different small I2C chips and only the most fancy of programmers can recognise the majority of them (price-category $500+) and without identifying the chip the programmer won't know what settings to use to write to it. You can always guess though and simply select one of the common models. Atmel AT24C is pretty standard.

dglt likes this.
  7. dglt

dglt Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    thank you, i've spent many hours looking for what you just linked me to. i actually peeled the cover off the plug earlier suspecting it was wired incorrectly, the TL866 was giving a pin error, ignoring it only read blank. the plug only has 4 wires soldered which i could easily re-solder once i know which pins are which, going by the alienware thread you linked and his plug setup am i right to assume this is the pin order thats staggered left/right/left in order all the way to 40?

upload_2021-1-11_19-55-49.png

as for the panel B173HAN04.4 i think i have the spec sheet in a pdf that im now feeling dumb for not even thinking of looking there :(

8. t456

t456 1977-09-05, 12:56:00 UTC

Reputations:
    Yes, that alternate left/right is correct. So you have a cable that is correctly wired to connect to an LVDS panel's edid eeprom; 4, 6, 7 and 10 (the 'first' of the grounds). Swap them and you have a connector that can wire to eDP instead.

There's no difference between the two in a technical sense; both are coaxial, it's just the protocol that is different and, hence, the pin-out. The coloured image above also shows neatly why eDP came about in the first place; both the LVDS and eDP setups use 40 pins, but with the same number of pins the former can do around 1920x1200 and the second 4096x2560, a factor of 4.5+ in raw data throughput (both are uncompressed).

dglt likes this.
  9. dglt

dglt Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    the closest panel i could find a spec sheet on was B173HAN04.0 which is very similar, could you tell me which of these i should be working with upload_2021-1-11_20-37-53.png upload_2021-1-11_20-38-14.png

Attached Files:

10. dglt

dglt Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    if im understanding this correctly (probably not) i would leave 4, 6, and 7 where they are but move 10 to 11 or 14? am i even close?