Laptop Screen Upgrades

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by sicily428, Apr 27, 2018.

1. eXspir3

eXspir3 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I found a seller that sells the NY4 Panel and asked him in message for the NY5 and he says he does actually have it and just received the first batch.
    Even provided me with a picture of the Panel.

But yeah maybe fraud i dont know

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001289879061.html

Otherwise the N4J does look good and is sourceable

2. Tech Junky

Tech Junky Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    A good clue is if you can find them on multiple sites and specific photos like ebay of the actual panel. I went through tons of sellers before going with kreplacement.com and was able to confirm the actual panel after submitting an order for the BZAN you're looking at. When I went to confirm the order via e-mail with them they didn't have the BZAN specific model and asked them based on the list of comparable panels I had researched for which ones they had on hand and went with the N66.

Put in the leg work now to prevent disappointment when it shows up as something different.

3. SUADE8880

SUADE8880 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The B156ZAN05.1 is a beautiful display covering 100% Adobe RGB color spectrum with a brightness higher than most average displays to provide more than adequate outdoor usage. I loved it.

However, I could never get it to work on 120hz due to bandwidth issues that Nvidia Optimus can not provide channeling through integrated graphics. Keep it in mind that the only laptops that are able to do 4K 120hz(Alienware, Razer) comes with the mux switch.

From the looks of the mainboard on the Legion it looks to be a 40pin but it isn't 100% certain that the connector at the end of the cable to the display side is a matched. Just like the new Razer laptops the cable started out as a 40pin .5mm pitch to a 40pin .4mm pitch. You'll have to weigh that in too and you can't tell without looking at the cable.

4. eXspir3

Reputations:
    Thx! @SUADE8880
    I am positive that the cable should be 40pin on both ends as it is used comes with the NV156FHM-NX1 that is listed as edp 40pin 4 lanes. But i will wait for the notebook to arrive anyways so ill have a look!
    Also regarding the MUX switch --> This basically means i can turn off Nvidia optimus bypassing the integrated graphics right?

I will get the Lenovo Legion 5 15ARH05H 82B1005EGE and while i found no information on this exact model there is a video online about the same notebook (Model 82B1000AUS) but with 1660ti instead of 2060 and better screen stating this functionality at minute 11:55:

If this all works out i will be as happy as one can be haha!

Last edited: Oct 19, 2020
  5. eXspir3

Reputations:
    To add to that:

After researching i have found the Lenovo yoga Slim 7 sporting the Ryzen 7 4700u or Ryzen 7 4800u both support Displayoutput at 5120x2880 @ 60hz via USB-C just using the integrated Radeon Vega 7nm Graphics which is also used in the Ryzen 7 4800H of the Legion 5.
    5120x2880 is 1,77 times as much pixel as 3840x2160. So Maybe it would even be possible to get 4k to work at 100hz (60*1,77 = 106) without disabling integrated graphics in the first place.

I am not sure by any means - its just what i found out browsing specsheets haha.

6. SUADE8880

SUADE8880 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Just be careful that there are different variants of 40pin due to it's pin pitch. In this case however, the display listed to be the common .5mm pin pitch. So you should be fine.

Yes, the mux switch will give Nvidia complete control to the internal display.

7. 4everAnoob

4everAnoob Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Anybody tried sticking an upgraded LCD into a mid range Lenovo?
    I have an Ideapad 5 15are05 15.6 with 30 pin EDP display that I am looking to upgrade.
    Especially interested in bright low power/efficient displays.

8. 4everAnoob

4everAnoob Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  9. Tech Junky

Tech Junky Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Figure out your current display with HWINFO64 and then compare the dimensions to make sure it will fit. Keep an eye on the voltages / pins to make sure they're compatible.

Alternatively check the model # of your PC for compatible upgrades when it was being sold.

10. Pedro69

Pedro69 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Anyone can download from panelook the datasheet of the screen "B173HAN05.1" in pdf format and share here? Very hard find this information...

Thanks.