Laptop Screen Upgrades

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by sicily428, Apr 27, 2018.

1. Tech Junky

Tech Junky Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    First figure out what screen is in the laptop by using wininfo
    Take the model info to panelook to find the size / dimensions
    Sort the panels by size and compare them for features you're interested in i.e. original vs 4K models
    Match up the EDP cable pins as some mobo side sockets have a 30 pin w/ 30 pin panel or 30 mobo to 40 pin panel (option) or they're 40 pin to 40 pin

I swapped a FHD to UHD using these methods and it's working fine.

2. ndy001

ndy001 Newbie

Reputations:
    not just ali express. ebay and newegg too. Two bad panels in a row. Its really frustrating. Plus I order an AUO panel, and receive a SHARP. The replacement panel market is a total mess. Very hard to find a reliable supplier.

3. eXspir3

eXspir3 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    @SUADE8880 Hi im currently thinking about upgrading the Screen in my Legion 5 to B156ZAN05.1 4k 120hz
    Ive seen that you owned this panel - can you tell me how the experience with it is? (colors, brightness, gsync working? etc)

Also i know that Panel would require the Mainboard of the Legion to have a 40pin 4 lane edp connector. As i do not yet own the laptop ive searched for pictures of the mianboard in lenovos parts database and found this:

https://pasteboard.co/Jw4GCso.jpg

As im fairly new to this - could anyone confirm that this is indeed a 40pin slot?

4. senso

senso Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    There are 4 pairs of caps, so it should have a 4 lane eDP in there, or its a 2 lane, and USB for the web cam...

5. eXspir3

Reputations:
  6. senso

senso Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Then yes, the needed cable is already present.

eXspir3 likes this.
  7. eXspir3

Reputations:
    Thank you!

8. Tech Junky

Reputations:

@
    eXspir3

I went through the 4K upgrade as posted earlier while not this particular display researched the same size panels extensively. The problem I ran into was for a reasonable price no one had 120hz 4K's in stock.

https://www.panelook.com/modelcompare.php?ids=42501,43684,36194,40964,40776,39623,45287,39913

Take a look at those models and check for availability and specific replacement as many sellers will send you another model in its place. Confirm the exact model you decide on before submitting an order to reduce delays when they present you with another model in the shipping invoice and needing to return it.

The N66 I went with is performing well. There are some quirks going from FHD to UHD though depending on the OS / HW but functionally it works well. I've noticed that Windows HWM.exe process tends to bloat at times in memory usage but that's resolved with a reboot after a few days of uptime. There's a huge difference in how things look though for the better when switching from a dull display. Response time with normal use is fine, 60hz isn't that bad compared to 120hz unless you're doing something that requires a faster refresh for FPS.

9. eXspir3

Reputations:
    @Tech Junky

Thx, i have 2 particular options in mind:

Either im going to go the said b156Zan05 Route which i described before. If that doesnt work out im going for the fairly new NV156FHM-NY5 1080p 144hz 500nit 100% Adobe RGB Display.

In my dreams i would have a good 4k Display for content consumption that supports 120hz so when i want to game i can dial the ingame render back to 1080p and enjoy it at 120hz.
    Thats why all the 60hz 4k options are not really viable for me.

I Actually found suppliers for the B156ZAN05.1 which sell it for 130€ which is fine with me as the NV156FHM-NY5 would also cost me around that.

10. Tech Junky

Reputations:
    Definitely not a one size fits all when it comes to preferences.....

I don't see the NY5 being sold anywhere for the most part... Suppliers you find on panelook can be difficult to deal with unless you're buying multiple panels. Again the sales results for NY5 would indicate a high probability of getting a substitute model when shipped. (been there, done that)

https://www.panelook.com/modelcompare.php?ids=38454,36617,40445,41166,45536 FHD 144hz models I looked at and could source.