Laptop Screen Upgrades

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by sicily428, Apr 27, 2018.

1. Anthonybui

Anthonybui Newbie

Reputations:
    @SUADE8880 Thanks much for your reply! Sounds like a 50/50 then, I'm currently checking with sellers on Aliexpress since most Ebay ones have the "compatible" description, looking at N156HCE-GA2 or B156HAN04.2 since NV156FHM-N4B is more on the expensive side with good reason :p

2. paddlestroke

paddlestroke Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey guys,
    I have a current ambitious project which is to build a 4:3 laptop from parts.

The global idea is to get a 4:3 screen from a thinkpad 60 or similar (as those are one of the last laptop with 4:3).

And put this screen into a recent laptop such as Zenbook pro. Obviously the case will need some serious work as aspect ratio is different, but that's OK. I guess the LVDS cables will be different, but I can work that out too.

My main concern is the software side : Is there something preventing you from connecting any LVDS panel to another motherboard? Like something closed in bios or even hardware like a chip firmware?

Also I was thinking also using the Zenbook pro with screenpad which has a LCD in the trackpad. And replace this LCD with a bigger one (as with 4:3 aspect ratio the bottom panel will be much bigger to accomodate up to 8-10" screen). Now this screenpad LCD is connected to a MIPI DSI interface. So the question is about the same here, swapping by another mipi device will that work out of the boxe or is something closed? This question may be more difficult I guess as screenpad/mipi is not mainstream.

As you seem to have experience in modifying laptops I hope you can give me some tips :)

3. ralffykinno

ralffykinno Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey guys. It's been a while. Any thought about the B156HAN11.0 240Hz from AUO? I'm planing to test this one with the TUF FX505DT. It is the same 40 pin eDP.

4. Vaardu

Vaardu Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thought I'd ask here. I own a Zbook 15 G2 but been looking for a panel that's IPS with 100% sRGB coverage, and preferably good Adobe and DCI-P3 coverage. And where is it best to get one at a reasonable price?

5. Casowen

Casowen Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I am just curious, but what IPS panel has the lowest response time? Anything under 3ms?

6. Blacky

Blacky Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Just an update on my conversion. Looks like it failed. Got back on my old screen.

tilleroftheearth likes this.