Laptop Screen Upgrades

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by sicily428, Apr 27, 2018.

1. Goldsun1715

Goldsun1715 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I've been trying to upgrade my Thinkpad T440P to a FHD screen and despite many telling me how easy and fast the upgrade is, that is the only upgrade that I'm having issues with. I'm going to put out as much information as I can in the hopes that one of you can figure this out.

The current screen is an LG LP140WH2-TPT1 (1366x768). It works normally, no issues with it.

My first attempt was from a screen purchased off of Amazon (Vtek), model LP140WF3-SPD1. It looked normal, after plugging it in though, the screen was blank. I assumed it was a dead screen so I sent it back and ordered another LP140WF3-SPD1 from screencountry.com.

I attempted to replace the screen again, and again, nothing on the screen. I can't verify for sure but it doesn't appear to boot into Windows at all, the power LED just stays on and the fans are spinning. If I put the older display back in, again it works no problem. I'm tearing my hair out trying to figure this out.

I attempted the following:
    • Reseating the EDP cable from the motherboard connection by removing the palmrest.
    • Pulling out and reseating the CMOS battery.
    • Running the laptop with only one stick of RAM.
    • Pulling out the hard drives.
    My only guesses:
    • I am incredibly unlucky and got another bad panel with the same issues as two different resellers.
    • There's something wrong with the 2-lane EDP cable functionality but 1-lane still works? (Can anyone verify what happens if you try plugging in a FHD panel into a 1-lane EDP? Does it just not boot the PC?)
    • Something is wrong with the motherboard.
    Thanks for any help you guys can provide.

2. ellalan

ellalan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I could find the compatible panels for your model but I don't know why the new FHD panel is not working, you can use the same cable for 2 lane panels and no need for a new cable.
    http://www.panelook.com/modelcompare.php?ids=20462,23292,18920
    https://www.reddit.com/r/thinkpad/comments/934djz/t440p_screen_upgrade_edp_cable/

3. nl_dave

nl_dave Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    costed me some time to figure out you are talking about LTN173HT02 .. cool upgrade on such an old(er) machine

4. kmyerslp85

kmyerslp85 Newbie

Reputations:
    So my plan is to upgrade the 2019 razer blade pro screen 1080p 144hz with the 4k 120hz screen of the "late 2019" model. I'm trying to see if there is a reason why it wouldn't work. The 4k screen also has a touch panel which I did NOT purchase and will NOT be hooked up. I had spent some time researching from all angles until my head hurt. I know the 1080p panel only requires two lane EDP while the 4k requires four. Is there a way to look up what my motherboard will output? Beyond all that here are all the similarities and differences between the two models.

Same specs (minus ram and storage)
    i7 9750h
    northbridge
    south bridge
    2080 max-q (8gb)
    bios versions
    motherboard layout

Differences
    (2019) motherboard model DA720
    1080p 144hz Panel: B173HAN04.0
    EDP 40 pin cable on motherboard labeled D17-2NT

(Late 2019) motherboard model DA730
    4k 120hz Panel: B173ZAN03.3
    EDP 40 pin cable on motherboard labeled DA730

5. SUADE8880

SUADE8880 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:

There's always a good chance swapping a display panel to another would work as long as it utilizes the right cable. However, in this case, the two panels above has a slight physical difference
    which can pose a huge challenge.

My research conclude that the B173ZAN03.3 logic board is slightly wider and the connection is almost dead center versus being 2-3 inches farther to the right when looking at the back. Typically, the length of the cable is very proprietary to the design of the laptop with little to almost no room to wiggle. This might require more research and a new cable from the newer model and even that is not guaranty if the motherboard has a different connection. Good luck though!

I will be swapping out the screen of my Asus Zephryus soon to a 4k 120hz. This will be the first of it's kind in a 15" laptop and I'm already finding out that I will have to physically modify part of the lid and hinges to make fit due it's logic board being longer from side to side. I will update soon for the very first 15" laptop to have a 4k 120hz screen.

Mr. Fox likes this.
  6. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Are you going to jack the display scaling up way high, like 200%, so that text will be readable without rupturing blood vessels in your eyes? 4K on a 15-inch screen is going to have very tiny text if you run it at normal scaling (100-125%).

7. SUADE8880

SUADE8880 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Oh no, 100% scaling on 4k in a 15 incher would do more than blood vessels rupturing:p. I find it okay at 150-200% scaling on my 4k laptop that I used to owned. The biggest upswing is that this screen has better colors, mini led, higher brightness, and with 120hz.

Mr. Fox likes this.
  8. TheUberMedic

TheUberMedic Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    That's going to be hard to figure out without looking at the physical connector on your motherboard. If it's a full proper 40 pin, it might just work but it looks like either way, you're going to need that cable.

Also, that's the first time I've seen a 1080p 4K panel use only 2 lanes. All the other ones I've seen use 4 panes.

Sent from my LM-V500N using Tapatalk

9. kmyerslp85

kmyerslp85 Newbie

Reputations:
    Here are the photos I took of the two cables coming from the lcd so maybe someone can make more sense of it. If you need a ruler for scale I can do that too if it will help. I'm sure the varying cable length will be an issue I will have to sort later.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 20, 2020
  10. TheUberMedic

TheUberMedic Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I count 30 pins, looks like you might not be able to get it working.

Sent from my LM-V500N using Tapatalk