Laptop Screen Upgrades

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by sicily428, Apr 27, 2018.

1. niffcreature

niffcreature ex computer dyke

Reputations:
    Hello old friends!! (if any of you are still here...)

I too am seeking an answer to the question below! Are the differences from eDP 1.4 to 1.3 just optional features, or are they more fundamental changes?
    wikipedia mentions "regional backlight control, lower interface voltages, and additional link rates" the lower interface voltages part sounds a bit concerning.

I'm looking at putting a JDI LPM140M420 in my t460s (also anyone know if it's actually a 100% abobe RGB panel?)

2. ellalan

ellalan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
  3. niffcreature

niffcreature ex computer dyke

Reputations:
    no one has an answer? also wondering if anyone knows about an EDP display with a 50 pin connector?

4. Rengsey R. H. Jr.

Rengsey R. H. Jr. I Never Slept

Reputations:
  5. spektykles

spektykles Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Actually i have been using B156ZAN04.1 for quite a while now (~2 months). Bought from Aliexpress, apparently its an unused batch produced for Dell by AUO, but Dell never puts one in mass production laptop? Replaced the dreaded stock FHD panel of my Dell G7 7588 with it, need a new 40 pin eDP cable for it too. Working flawless, brightness change okay, HDR okay, except the laptop will refuse to boot with the panel during cold boot. Just power cycle it a few time and it will "bypass" it and boot with the new panel (one of many gimmick i found out about this laptop :p)
    EDID reports nothing (using AIDA64), no support for any kind of power management like stock panel, but panel self refresh works fine.
    Small PSA: check the backlight voltage of both panel you currently have and the one you want to upgrade. I fried the motherboard of my laptop when upgrading to a different fhd 144hz panel, unknown reason but maybe due to that. Stock panel min voltage is 5v, new panel is 7v. Smoke....

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
    intruder16 and Mr. Fox like this.
  6. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Gosh, I just hate it when laptops have that kind of idiotic nonsense. There is no excuse for that sort of foolishness. One should be able to connect any laptop display with the right cable form factor and have it work... exactly the same way any monitor works with any desktop. They should all use the same voltage as well. It's stupid that there is a variety of minimum voltage specs.

7. TrantaLocked

TrantaLocked Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Edit 3: Hey the upgrade worked! HP 15-bs234wm, stock eDP cable, with the upgrade NV156FHM-N4B running at 1080p 60Hz at the moment. I can run at 144Hz too but the main issue is I can't go too high of a brightness or else the power draw eventually causes the screen to go black and flicker. But it's strange because I can go 144Hz full brightness for minutes and then when I switch windows, boom, black screen and I have to hard restart. Probably not an issue on most laptops that have better power delivery/better eDP cables. Fully stable at up to mid brightness though, and honestly inside a home it is quite bright even on the lower notches. The screen looks and feels gorgeous. Brightness control works, no noticeable additional lag over the stock TN panel, great matte finish, great contrast and color depth. It looks good stock but color profile might help a bit depending on your preferences. If it leans in temperature it leans slightly warm stock, but that could just be because the original TN leaned cold. I am so happy with the upgrade and really feel like the time I used researching datasheets and examining wiring was well used to prepare for this moment.

Edit 2: After examining the stock cable wiring in my HP 15-bs234wm and reading some datasheets, I've 99% confirmed that many pin-compatible 1080p displays will work in this laptop without even needing a new cable. The cable or system may not support the full 120Hz, but I'll need to confirm that when I install the new display. I've ordered the new NV156FHM-N4B display first, and will use the stock HP cable DC02002WZ00 rev 3.0. I did get the other 6017B0975601 eDP cable in the mail and the board-side wiring doesn't look compatible compared to the wiring on the stock cable, so it's pretty much useless to me now.

Thanks to spektykles a few posts above for warning about voltage levels. That made me realize I needed to be looking at and comparing everything in the datasheets, and not just the pinouts. Luckily the display I ordered is nearly identical in voltage levels and tolerances, but it does consume an extra 1W max and a couple of the minor voltage levels are slightly higher (less than 1V) than my original screen. It's strange because most of the screens I've looked at have far different levels/frequencies than my stock screen and the NV156FHM-N4B was my preferred screen, like the best I could possibly get with everything I wanted (1080p, 1200:1 contrast, 8-bit at 72% NTSC, 16ms decent for IPS/VA, great viewing angles). I'm just praying it works, but the backup B156HAN04.5 is still really good.

Edit: So I got the cable I wanted (6017B0975601) coming in the mail. Now I'm approaching the rest cautiously. Before I buy a screen I'll install the new cable with my original screen first to make sure it's compatible with the board, and if that works then I'll buy the new screen which will take some time to ship from china. I'm upgrading the HP 15-bs234wm and if anyone wants to know the screen I decided to pursue the B156HAN04.5, $70-$90 depending on which listing I choose on aliexpress or ebay. Just be careful because the vast majority of screen listings are really just bait and switches; you need to contact the seller to confirm you will receive the exact model you want. That screen model specifically will not be legit purchasable under $70 as of the time of this edit, and most of the $50-$60 listings of that model are baits that are going to ship "compatible" models with inferior color gamut and contrast ratio.

----------------------------------

I'm trying to find this cable or similar but at a reasonable price. There's another here that has the 30 to 30 pin with the 2-lane FHD capability that I need, but the extra connector is 7 pins and wouldn't be long enough to reach the webcam. That's probably ok though but I'd need to test to make sure the laptop boots without the webcam cable attached, but then I'm still concerned about compatibility since my webcam cable is 6 pins. The pinout for the video signal should still be good right? If so I'll probably start with the second cable but I still want one with the long 6 pin auxillary cable.

It's hard to believe there isn't a single cable that I need besides the one I linked, called 6017B0975601. I looked everywhere and I can't find it or a clone any cheaper. There are lots of 30 to 40 pin cables with the 6 pin auxillary that will look correct but of course will not be, because I need a 30 to 30. Unless of course any 30 pin motherboard can output to a 40 pin screen, but I doubt it if the laptop was wired only for 30 pin EDP to a 1366x768 screen.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2020