Laptop Screen Upgrades

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by sicily428, Apr 27, 2018.

1. Alghorabi

Alghorabi Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks! The AOU seems Nice because Of 400 nits but it seems to lack the mounting holes. Could i just use doublesided tape? The lid is not so stod though as it goes down when I push on it.

What do you think about the AOU B156ZAN04.1? That one is 500 nits and 10bit

Last edited: Aug 30, 2019
  2. bennyg

bennyg Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    The interface will be the big question. A 40K 60hz screen almost maxes the bandwidth of a 4 lane eDP connection, 63Hz is a hard limit on the two 4K panels I've had. Mind you even something with a faster transition running 'underclocked' at only 60Hz would be something I'd maybe consider, the 20-30ms on the B173ZAN01 panel is not great for fast paced action games.

I highly doubt something that pushes double throughput per pin (whether a new DP spec or even PCIe 4.0 based or not) or needs 2x lanes, will work with anything on the market right now. That's assuming it's a native uncompressed signal and not some kind of Pentile junk *shudders*

Notwithstanding the push with 4K gaming has stalled on desktop as it is, Nvidia has gone silent on BFGD and have shifted to shoving RTX features down the market's throat, it won't be years until something has the grunt to run 4K120 RTX on, especially not on the slow mobile RTX with mobile mGPU dead.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2019
  3. Ionising_Radiation

Ionising_Radiation ?v = ve*ln(m0/m1)

Reputations:
    I've purchased the 10-bit B156HAN10.0 display for US$88. We'll see how it goes.

Alghorabi and sicily428 like this.
  4. Ionising_Radiation

Reputations:
    I've gotten myself the B156HAN10.0, but unfortunately it comes with a 40-pin eDP connector with 0.5 mm pin pitch, whereas the cable I have has 0.4 mm pin pitch, and I realised this through this thread. @t456, any updates in the past two years? Are pnp adaptors any easier to find?

5. Alghorabi

Alghorabi Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Whats your plan when it comes to mount the panel B156HAN10.0? It doesnt have mounting holes according to panelook

6. khalid762

khalid762 Newbie

Reputations:
    I am planning to upgrade the screen on my Dell G3. I am considering the N156HHE-GA1 and the NV156FHM-N4B. The latter costs 30 USD more so I was wondering if it is really worth the price increase. The laptop is used mostly for gaming and media consumption (No video or photo editing).

Would appreciate any advice from people that have tested any of these panels. I am also open to other suggestions for panels within the same price range.

7. t456

t456 1977-09-05, 12:56:00 UTC Moderator

Reputations:
    Sadly not. At least, did a quick search on Ali and Google images, but all pnp adapters are meant for CCFL -> LED conversions and these also disable some of the pins, even apart from having the wrong wire count and pitch.

Do have a few of those 0.5mm pitch adapter boards and think they're quite easily solderable due to the alternating rows. A magnifier would be useful and a multimeter is essential; you want to verify each pin has a good connection and check for inadvertent shorts with the pin right next to the one just soldered. The hard part might be in stripping the wires from the 0.4mm pitch cable. I'm building a custom cable for @Blacky and turns out the original LVDS cable had a shielded coaxial design, same as a TV cable. Thing is that each wire is 0.1mm thick (so about 60x smaller) and the shield is taking up the function of all grounds in order to do away with a dozen wires midway in the cable. With this setup you'd have to strip the plastic first, expose and peel back the shield strands and then strip back the second plastic wrap in order to expose the six or seven data wires (even combined they're thinner than a single hair). That really wasn't humanly feasible, so resorted to using a diy cable that didn't have shielded wires. If you're luck then the original eDP cable isn't shielded. However, in order to find out it requires sacrificing one of the wires (there's several voltages and grounds).

Before taking that path I'd search for original cables from other systems that use the B156HAN10.0 or compatible panels (use Panelook for that). With a bit of luck you'll find one that uses the same connector on the mb end and has sufficient length to reach the panel. Pin-out will be difficult to verify at the mb side though, but a cable from another Dell would stand the best chance.

Ionising_Radiation likes this.
  8. Ionising_Radiation

Reputations:
    @t456, thanks for that detail.

Well, the cable I have from Dell combines the webcam and the eDP cable into one, looks like this:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The 40-pin side is interesting: it appears to be missing a few wires. This cable is meant to power the Sharp 15.6" 4K 60 Hz display; I'm quite certain it'd work alright for a 144 Hz 1080p display.

9. t456

t456 1977-09-05, 12:56:00 UTC Moderator

Reputations:
    Yes, it's a four-lane cable, so it has sufficient bandwidth (the blue-yellow end is all data). No panel has all its 30 or 40 pins connected, so it's perfectly normal if a few are missing. Some being factory-only, not in use or the laptop manufacturer decided to combine a few grounds or voltages in a single wire.

10. Blacky

Blacky Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I can confirm that DIY cable adapter is far more complicated to do than in theory.