Laptop Screen Upgrades

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by sicily428, Apr 27, 2018.

1. sicily428

sicily428 Donuts!! :)

Reputations:
  2. mf_w

mf_w Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello, I have the LG LP156UD1-SPB1 (4k screen, 40 pin eDP) which broke. I was trying to replace it with a 120/144hz 1080p screen.
    Do you think that the B156HAN07.1 (also 40 pin eDP) could work?
    Besides that, do you know if I could have problems with the eDP version since the original screen has an eDP 1.3 and the new uses an eDP 1.4 version?

Here's a comparison between the panels: http://www.panelook.com/modelcompare.php?ids=30300,34302,26868&del_id=30300

3. barellrooool

barellrooool Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello, I have an MSI GS63VR 7RF with the LG LP156WF6 panel and I'm willing to upgrade it to a 144 Hz IPS panel made by BOE, model NV156FHM-N4B. http://www.panelook.com/NV156FHM-N4B_BOE_15.6_LCM_parameter_34862.html
    Through my research, the MSI laptop has an LCD whitelist in the BIOS that prevents non validated monitor to have adjustable brightness and considering the panel that I'm planning to purchase is certainly not going to be in the whitelist, I will have that problem certainly. I know it's possible to remove or add the monitor to the whitelist by modding the EDID in the bios but I was wondering if it's possible to do it on an MSI laptop and how hard will it be? Will a BIOS unlock be sufficient or will it need more thorough modification?

A safer bet will be using the panel found in the GS63VR 7RG, which is a 120Hz TN panel by Chi Mei, model N156HHE-GA1 but since I often do colour sensitive work, a TN panel is not ideal.

4. Ionising_Radiation

Ionising_Radiation ?v = ve*ln(m0/m1)

Reputations:
    So, there now exists a 10-bit 1000:1 144 Hz 1080p 15.6” LCD panel: the AUO B156HAN10.0.

sicily428 and tilleroftheearth like this.
  5. barellrooool

barellrooool Newbie

Reputations:
    So I went ahead and ordered the BOE NV156FHM-N4B 144Hz panel to replace the LG LP156WF6-SPB1 that came standard on my MSI GS63VR and I can happily say that the replacement was a success and no compatibility issues were found. Runs at 144Hz, 8-bit with full brightness control intact.

I bought the panel on ebay from a german reseller called "touchandscreen". There are no apparent dead or stuck pixels that I can see and while the backlight bleed could be better at some edges, it's perfectly acceptable. Panel uniformity is also good.

I can say that this display panel is very good out of the box, miles ahead than the stock uncalibrated MSI panel. Subjectively the whitepoint on the BOE is more neutral than the LG which was very blue and colours seems to be fairly accurate on its uncalibrated state while the stock panel was just poor everywhere.

I then used my i1display pro to objectively measure its performance uncalibrated and calibrated. Here are the results:

Gamut coverage:
    [​IMG]
    Not the advertised 100% sRGB coverage but I didn't expect to reach 100% anyways. Still an improvement over the 84% coverage of the stock panel and it's definitely noticeable.

Colour gamut coverage graph:
    [​IMG]
    Here you can see that it just misses by a bit in the green and red. This might seem bad for colour critical work but it's actually not. More on that later.

Uncalibrated results between the stock panel (LG LP156WF6-SPB1) and the new panel (BOE NV156FHM-N4B)
    RGB+Greyscale UNCALIBRATED (LG LP156WF6-SPB1)
    [​IMG]
    RGB+Greyscale UNCALIBRATED (BOE NV156FHM-N4B)
    [​IMG]

As you can see, the BOE has a whitepoint that is much closer to the standard 6500K temperature and an average/max delta E that is much lower than the stock panel.

Calibrated results between the stock panel (LG LP156WF6-SPB1) and the new panel (BOE NV156FHM-N4B)
    RGB+Greyscale CALIBRATED (LG LP156WF6-SPB1)
    [​IMG]
    When calibrated, the stock panel has a very slight green tinge when displaying a white colour but still cannot properly display accurate skin colour, missing a bit of the redness on skin and the green colours tend to go slightly to the yellow-green side. Not good enough for colour work.

RGB+Greyscale CALIBRATED (BOE NV156FHM-N4B)
    [​IMG]
    The BOE panel responds well to calibration and the average and max delta E are well below the calibrated stock panel. While this panel might only cover 90% of the sRGB range, the delta E values are very good and very much adequate to do colour accurate work.

The reason why I didn't go for the ChiMei N156HHE-GA1 is that Notebookcheck calibration of that panel has very high delta E (avg: 2.8 / max: 5.2) even if the panel can show 100% sRGB, meaning that it doesn't respond well to calibration which is not ideal for colour work.

So TL;DR, I recommend this panel for people looking for a 144Hz 30-pin display and want very good colour accuracy.

Edit: Forgot to mention that the panel has a maximum brightness of 330 cd/m², a bit more than the stock panel

Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
    Ionising_Radiation and t456 like this.
  6. RampantGorilla

RampantGorilla Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    All 7th gen Intel cpus (Kaby Lake) and newer support eDP 1.4.

mf_w likes this.
  7. RampantGorilla

RampantGorilla Notebook Deity

Reputations:
  8. Giz974

Giz974 Newbie

Reputations:
  9. Alghorabi

Alghorabi Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi!
    I have a Dell precision 7530 that have a 6bit 1080p screen I really want to upgrade. I want to go up to 4K and I would like 100% AdobeRGB and 10bit if its possible. Is there a way to know what panels are compatible with My laptop? I would like to get high brightness also preferably over 400 nits.

10. Ionising_Radiation

Ionising_Radiation ?v = ve*ln(m0/m1)

Reputations:
    AUO B156ZAN03.1 or Sharp LQ156D1JW02.