Laptop Screen Upgrades

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by sicily428, Apr 27, 2018.

1. Blacky

Blacky Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
  2. t456

t456 1977-09-05, 12:56:00 UTC Moderator

Reputations:
    A bit, though not quite that dramatic, I hope :vboops: . Anyway, we should have made that inquiry after all, then:
    There do exist 0.5mm->0.4mm pitch adapters though, they look a bit like this 40 -> 30-pin adapter. Have seen them on ebay before, but there don't seem to be any atm. As simple flat-ribbon adapter will also do.

Apart from that; can you make a good photos of this cable? Of the left part of the connector, the reverse side and the rest ending up at the input side. And check the TLA2's pcb for the #1 and #40 markings; that will tell us what side is data and which is backlight voltage.

Dannemand likes this.
  3. Blacky

Blacky Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I cannot access the LCD PCB without tearing the protective plastic of the LCD:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Technical specs: https://datasheetspdf.com/pdf/909070/LG/LP171WU6-TLA2/1

Alright here is the whole set:
    The connector of the new display:
    [​IMG]
    Head for connecting with the new display of the adapter cable:
    [​IMG]
    Backlit connectors of the adapter cable:
    [​IMG]
    Where the current display cable should be placed in the adapter cable:
    [​IMG]
    Some comments were written on the adapter cable:
    [​IMG]
    Head of the adapter cable that should enter the new display:
    [​IMG]
    This is the backlit cable that comes from the laptop and enters the inverter:
    [​IMG]
    Exit cable from the inverter (I think):
    [​IMG]
    Current display cable into the adapter, perfect fit:
    [​IMG]

Other pictures:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

To conclude:
    1. The head of the adapter cable is too big for the new laptop display. As you said, I need one with a smaller pitch or a pitch adapter.
    I need a solution here, because I don't know what to search for exactly.
    2. None of the input headers on the adapter cable matches the backlit cable of my Clevo.
    Maybe I need a different adapter cable or a backlit adapter. Again, I have no idea what I should be searching for.

Other thoughts:
    The LP171WU6 is much thinner than the current display.
    The PCB of the LP171WU6 does not fit into the current frame of the display unless I tuck it under the display. Given that the display is much thinner, I think this is a reasonable solution.

Anything else you might need?

Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
  4. ralffykinno

ralffykinno Newbie

Reputations:
    Any update for the Lenovo Y530 thin bezel screen? Mine is 60Hz IPS with 60% sRGB. I'm looking for a better screen.

5. t456

Reputations:
    Yes, but they seem to have disappeared from the market. Not a lot of demand for CCFL conversions anymore, I suppose. I'll try to find a different adapter in the weekend.
    You'd think with 9 different inverter sockets one of them would be compatible. The schematics of the M570TU shows it's using a standard 6-pin connector at the motherboard end (which would be supported), but your cable at the inverter end winds up as a 12-pin with 6 of them empty/dummies. This isn't much of a problem; if you can find one cable+connector that will fit any of the adapter's then you could solder the corresponding wires to one another and it'd be fine. Could also do that for you, if you like; have plenty of spare cables and this isn't very difficult to solder.
    Bit of felt or double-sided tape would be good.
    Yes, the flat-ribbon cable from the pcb to the panel is flexible by design, so that's no problem. Just tape it over to prevent any of its exposed contacts shorting if it happens to contact the metallic frame around the edge.
    No, the information provided by the pictures is perfect. We now know exactly what type of adapter to look for, just a matter of finding one.

Blacky likes this.
  6. Blacky

Blacky Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    You are amazing.
    Unfortunately, I don't have a spare cable/header to try and makeshift an adapter. I could try and find someone else to do it, but I would need to provide them with the schematics on how to do it and what header I would need at what end. You seem a lot more knowledgebale about this things, so if you could do it, that would be amazing. I will donate to such a cause!
    I am not worried about fitting the LCD inside the laptop, I fairly certain I will be able to do it, that's the least of my concerns. First I want to see it power up and display its beautiful image and colours — one step at a time.

7. t456

Reputations:
    Couldn't find any of these adapters anymore (all 'non-available'), nor a PnP 0.4mm 40-pin converter with a 12 pin inverter input.

It doesn't matter; we can diy the current adapter into a compatible model. Just need a standard 2-channel, 40-pin, 0.4mm pitch LVDS cable:
    If you ship the adapter and the 0.4mm cable to me then I'll turn it into a customised model. Found a 12-pin socket and a standard 6-pin connector in the recycle stash, so could use those for a simple adapter that matches the M570TU's inverter cable. Since you'll probably want to keep using it with the old panel I'll need a bit more information about its pin-out. Send me a pm and we'll get started.

Blacky likes this.
  8. Blacky

Blacky Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Awsome! Will contact you via PM.

9. Richard Zheng

Richard Zheng Notebook Geek

Reputations:
  10. sicily428

sicily428 Donuts!! :)

Reputations:
    If i remember correctly @genexis_x did an upgrade of that panel.