Laptop replacement under warranty

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by Dusk Star, Jun 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tgotovac

tgotovac Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'm hoping for a 680. Ill do whatever I need to to get one without paying for it.

2. MnemonicSyntax

MnemonicSyntax Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Well, it's not a full system replacement, but based on the things I'm hearing in the "new 17" thread in this section, I'd rather stick with my r3 and the 680m. But, we'll see.

3. tgotovac

Reputations:
    The tech told me the 680 isnt supported by the r3 and they can't give me that card because it wouldn't covered under warranty

4. Seblock

Seblock Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I thought the new version comes with 780. Why would you get the 680?. Sorry for not following up, but what's your spec?

5. tgotovac

Reputations:
    My current specs are m17x r3 i7 2630, 8GB ram, 750GB WD black drive x 2 in raid0, 1920x1080 60hz screen and gtx 580m

6. tgotovac

Reputations:
    What would my replacement system have? A 6xx card or 7xx card ? When I ordered my r3 the 6xx cards weren't available. The 580m was the highest card available

7. Seblock

Reputations:
    There are few things should be considered out there
    1. Since the current product line only offers 7 series, so I assume 6 series only exists on refurbished or open box system which are old revisions.
    2. Depends on how you purchased your system, if it was purchased as a brand new, there's no way they could offer you a refurbished replacement. In that case, I would pursue a brand new replacement which only comes with 7 series.

For my case, I'd prefer a refund since I wanna go for a desktop now. But if they offer a replacement, it has to be at least an R3 with extreme CPU and SLI 780. The rest will be negotiable.

8. Dusk Star

Dusk Star Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Heh. All my BBB complaint has gotten me is pain...

Unfortunately, the replacement systems are often refurbished -even for machines purchased new. They typically have better hardware though.

On a more happy note: the most recent beta drivers installed perfectly and Tomb Raider runs fine. And I got this from my support rep (who did not yet know it was a driver issue)- "I request you to reply to this email confirming that, after we replace the card and if in case you experience the same issue with a particular game then it will be considered that the card is working fine." In other words, if I did have another hardware error, there would be no further warranty service on the GPU. I'm really starting to hate this guy.

9. Seblock

Reputations:
    In the first 2 times when my laptop was dead, It was running Dell driver. In the last time, I was running Nvidia's. So I would rule out the driver issue. As for the beta drive, I hope they don't sacrifice the card performance to solve the issue

10. tgotovac

Reputations:
    So ill be getting a refurb or open box unit ? Now again the question is will it have a 6xx card or 7xx card?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.