1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Laptop replacement under warranty

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by Dusk Star, Jun 12, 2013.

1. Dusk Star

Dusk Star Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    So with news of the new Alienware models, I decided to bite the bullet and ask for a replacement for my r3. (currently having blackscreen issues in games, which has been getting worse; previously had 4 motherboard replacements, 2 new GPUs, 2 new sets of speakers and 2 new heatsinks for a variety of issues)

So I think I'll be approved for a replacement. I know I'm not going to get an r5 (or whatever you want to call the new ones), but does anyone have an idea as to what kind of specs a replacement might have? I know it'll be a refurb, I'm just hoping they don't have any more r3s left over!

Additional details - the laptop originally shipped with a 460m, but with two GPU failures they bumped it to a 6970m, which I currently have. Will this affect anything?

2. Kevinmcg

Kevinmcg Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    With all of those issues i think you could complain enough to get the 2013 model.

Tell them you've had enough and don't want a used one when you paid for a brand new one that never worked properly and that you want a new one that works properly.

After 3 mobos it shoulda been a lemon anyways.

3. Dusk Star

Reputations:
    That's a good idea, it would really be awesome to get an aluminum exterior... (and 700 series nVidia cards)

I'll ask when the support rep calls back tomorrow!

4. Deepdarkness

Deepdarkness Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Unless you purchased directly from the outlet, there's no reason why they should replace your current unit with a refurbished one. Argue the fact you purchased a new unit and don't want to settle for any less.

that's a ton of issues!

I Hope you get something you're happy with :)

5. Dusk Star

Reputations:
    Makes sense, don't know how much the Support guys will agree with you though... Well, at the very least it will be faster and likely more reliable than the one I have now!

6. MogRules

MogRules Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    When they replaced mine 2 weeks ago the rep actually felt bad for me because the new models were coming out so soon. He would have replaced my R4 with an R5 if he could but he couldn't do it at the time. I don't see why they wouldn't give you an R5, Alienware is pretty good like that.

7. MickyD1234

MickyD1234 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Yeah, I got this one to replace my R3 around 2 weeks after the R4 came out. They checked the outlet for a 'same or better' config then said I would get a new one. Note though in all dell's warranty T's & C's they state factory refurbished parts may be supplied. All the machines in the outlet are already refurbs.

Good luck!

8. Dusk Star

Reputations:
    Like I said, I'll be asking for one - though it might be a bit early. I'm very fine with waiting an extra week or three for a 50% performance gain, plus aluminum!

Right, so they do have the ability to give me a refurb.. Here's hoping they can't find a same or better refurbished machine! (All depends on one's definition of "same or better", I guess)

9. MickyD1234

Reputations:
    Sure does. I saw one guy get an mx18 to replace his aging R2 since he had a dual GPU machine from new. The R4 with a single GPU is way more powerful than that old R2 but he pulled it off!!

10. Dusk Star

Reputations:
    Damn, he was supposed to call me back at 7pm tonight... (Now 840)

Guess I get to call them again.

11. Dusk Star

Reputations:
    Called back last night (Thursday), said they'd call sometime Friday evening. Guess not.

Well, at least this gives me something to bargain with...

12. Dusk Star

Reputations:
    Well, calling back for the 4th time, I was told that a replacement system has been approved, and that "they will call me back with a replacement system once they find a match".

Any idea how long this might take? (tips on bargaining for a new system would also be appreciated, as I really don't want to have to deal with refurb parts again - they sent me a motherboard with a fried clock chip one time :mad2:)

13. MickyD1234

Reputations:
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/alienware-m17x/721993-really-come-alienware-2.html ;)

14. Alienware-L_Porras

Alienware-L_Porras Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Same or better specs.
    What happens is that if we have no matches available we will have to look for other options (new system for example). After 60 days having the computer it's no longer considered a brand new one so we look into our Outlet Inventory. However we always try to go on a case by case basis so this may not apply on specific cases.

15. Dusk Star

Reputations:
    So I just got off the phone with a support rep, who confirmed a replacement system for me, but said that it would be a new m17x r4. Which confuses me on two levels - first that they are still making r4s, and also didn't the r4s stop being configurable with the 1920x1080 screens a month ago due to lack of stock?

:confused:

Guess I'll see when they email me the system configuration.

16. MickyD1234

Reputations:
    That is strange, you would not think they are going to start up a whole production line for you, maybe the guy just got ot wrong and was still able to order an R4 but it will change further down the path:D. The 1080 screen issue could have been simply getting rid of a lot of old stock in the run up to new models, rather than a shortage of 1080 panels so that may not be a problem.

Intrigued....

;)

17. Stern

Stern Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Please continue to keep us posted, I am interested in how they deal with faulty laptops, just in case. :p

18. Dusk Star

Reputations:
    Well, they emailed me with an order number today - new 17, 1920x1080 display, 8GB ram, 750 spinner, etc- but a 4700MQ and 765m :(

Guess I get to argue on that - the equivalent to a 2720qm, counterintuitively, is a 4800MQ, and a 765m gets killed by a 6970m all too often. Especially in GPGPU, which is a large part of what I do... But at least it's new!

It also says that it is "In Production" already. THAT was fast! (And makes me hope I can convince them to change it a bit)

EDIT: just saw the signature of the tech I've been working with. Sun-Thrs, 9am-6pm CST... Great.

19. Talon

Talon Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You're mad that you're getting a new R5 replacement for your old R3? And the 4700MQ is better than the 2720QM. Also quick look at the 765m vs gain your old 6970m shows its more powerful. Isn't Dell only obligated to replace with same or better? I really don't see how that isn't a lot better. Dude I'd be happy! You gained we features and more future upgrade possibilities.

20. Dusk Star

Reputations:
    Believe me, I know that the r5 is a huge upgrade. But when you say that both parts are unequivocally better, look at smallLux or a similar gpu benchmark - that's what my workload is like, and that's what nVidia is bad at.

And I am very happy ;)