Laptop power needs

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by ng80092a, Jul 8, 2021.

1. NeXt3R

NeXt3R Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    most time when run GPU - is limited CPU "different PL limit - EC config"
    or no D-gpu - full CPU

AC adapter + battery "25W" -top limit
    AC run "recharging" but system load still discharging battery

PL4 or EC PL ? / gpu TDP / 30W system / "+ 11W rest of chip ?? or is this in PL4 " -calculation

230W system "MSI" -limit 255W before shutdown or CPU drop
    I think that was the case :D ,,.,.or AC voltage drop "around 17V" for 19.5V adapter --shutdown

edit
    AC upgrade ? - not helps all is locked in EC fw "MSI"

EDIT

Last edited: Jul 10, 2021
    Papusan likes this.
  2. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    nvm

Last edited: Jul 9, 2021
  3. hertzian56

hertzian56 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I guess they don't think people buying gaming laptops would ever use all that power? Maybe just marketing afa the boost power, just spikes up to their rarely so they can market it that way. I've seen this referred to in vbios OC forums where they take a 90w gpu and unlock it up to 115w but only have an 180w-200w psu, it does drain battery while plugged in and heavy gaming and gets hot. To be expected when you override the manuf vbios/power budget. But this stock stuff claiming such a tight power budget seems like marketing to me.

https://www.reddit.com/r/AMDLaptops...w_rtx_2060_vbios_on_the_100w_version/gkpzy4j/

hfm and KING19 like this.
  4. KING19

KING19 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I did a quick goggle search and seems like this laptop only has a 180W power supply which makes no sense for that configuration. With a 130W RTX 3060 and a Intel i7-10870H it should at least use a 300W power supply or even a 250W one at the minimum. If they're concerned about the size of the power supply then just support USB-C charging so people who carry their laptop to work or school can leave their big power brick at home.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Schen...aming-laptop-with-a-WQHD-display.541839.0.htm

As shown here at full load it goes over 180W easily.

5. krabman

krabman Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The Eluk version comes with a 230; considering how hard they like to push the envelope with power that's telling. Realistically it's easy and relatively cheap to purchase a better supply if everything else meets the buying criteria. In that context alone it would be no different than buying a laptop and immediately upgrading the storage capacity or RAM. I say that context alone because I don't condone shipping laptops with inadequate supplies, that's crap.

The QHD factor needs to be considered as well: you can flood the GPU at 45 watts with mine, more than that is just extra heat. Not apples to apples as I've a 5800 but the same should apply here to some extent.

6. NeXt3R

NeXt3R Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I also think most of the data readable on a laptop is FAKE :confused:
    or what yours notebook and monitoring / setup ??

for my MSI -example
    PL4 overdrive - 150w / power limit for 100W load ??
    why ??

next shutdown reason "CPU heavy current limit in EC ??? "voltage limit" is identical vs my limits
    ,..,.using "static voltage for load" .,.,.,0,005V before shutdown o_O
    EC editor still not exist ??

or what is real HW limit ?? when the temperature is OK "tested complete system 50C MAX for load / 100W CPU / 125W GPU " :D
    AC i have 230w and 330w - identical limit ;)