Laptop (P150EM) might be dead, recommendations?

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by Aeyix, Nov 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aeyix

Aeyix Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The precursor to this post and my recent P150EM issues can be found in this thread here. Long story short, started having some issues. Mostly solved it by using my computer without the battery in as well as updating to the latest version of windows. To be safe I had ordered a replacement PSU and Battery (rip $240) from RJTech that will arrive on Friday.

However I have developed a new issue as of Tuesday. My laptop had been powered down and lights on as usual on the laptop so no reason to assume anything wrong. I unplugged it and packed it up. Later in the day when I plugged it back in to the PSU I noticed the laptop’s power light wasn’t lighting at all and of course the system wouldn’t power on. The light on the PSU is on however. When I got home later I inserted the Battery and the laptop did fully power on and boot. It died 2 minutes later, I assume and hope, because the Battery holds next to no charge. If I recall correctly, the Battery light did not come on on the laptop but the power light did when running on only Battery power. As note, when it booted, the PSU was connected as well but it wouldn’t run on the PSU at all. I’m hoping that all this is only a PSU issue and not something on the mobo and the power delivery from the PSU. I guess I’ll know for sure come Friday. Otherwise I have an expensive decision to make. Edit: I have removed the parts as well such as RAM and cleared the CMOS. No improvement.

Should the mobo need replacement or repair, I’m not sure if I want to, or can even get it serviced anymore being that it is 5 years old. I had the mobo replaced by XoticPC 2 years ago and that ran me about $500. I’m not sure I can even return the PSU and Battery I just ordered if those don’t fix the solution. I know I can get a replacement mobo for $325 from RJTech, but I don’t trust that I won’t mess that up.

I’ve been looking into other solutions. One of them being finally getting started on my dream desktop build. Albeit I cannot remotely afford the $3k budget such a build needs, I can get started with some items to be upgraded later and other items already future proofed for about $650. I just won’t have discrete graphics for a little while most likely.

Alternatively I was looking at two specific laptops. The Sager NP6852 and Sager NP7850. As far as I know the only difference between the two models is a 1050 Ti w/120W PSU and a 1060 w/180W PSU… oh and $130. The only upgrades I’d be looking to do on them is the 1x8GB stick of RAM to 2x8GB ($100) and bumping the WiFi card from the 3168 to the 8265 (which oddly cost different between the two models). I’d plan to just reuse my 500GB 840 EVO in the new system and hope that Windows 10 doesn’t require me to buy a new key in order to activate it (it started as Windows 7 OEM, then was updated with Win 8.1 Pro Upgrade from my university, then updated to Win 10 Pro via the free upgrade program. Otherwise if possible, I’d just use inactive Windows I guess. I didn’t have any issues when my mobo was replaced 2 years back so I don’t know at this point).

I’m not 100% keen on spending $1000-$1150 for a new laptop but even if I do opt the desktop route, I’ll still want a laptop again for mobility eventually. I like the idea of having a slightly lighter and thinner laptop for once and even more intrigued about the idea of not having to lug around a 180W power brick on the cheaper model. That being said, given what I’ve seen in the benchmarks (linked below), I should be able to do everything I did with my P150EM and if anything have a better experience.
    CPU Benchmark Comparison
    GPU Benchmark Comparison
    GPU Gaming Comparison

In a perfect world, my laptop will work with the new PSU and Battery instead of complicating things, that being said, any thoughts? Recommendations? Do you think my laptop will work with the new PSU?

Arrrrbol likes this.
  2. Arrrrbol

Arrrrbol Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    If you are lucky, it could just be the power jack that has failed. That is a fairly easy replacement if you have a soldering iron. It might be an idea to send it to someone who does board repairs as they will be able to diagnose the issue. Could be something very simple and cheap, but if it needs a complete replacement then i'd suggest just flogging the remains on the forums/eBay.

3. bennyg

bennyg Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I agree - OP give the connector a good press and wiggle in the jack and see if you can get the charge light to come on at all.

Arrrrbol likes this.
  4. Aeyix

Reputations:
    Unfortunately no amount of wiggling was even able to get a flicker out of it.

5. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Do you have a multimeter? You could check the DC jack is:

A) Not shorted.
    B) The 19V pin is connected to nearby circuitry.

6. Aeyix

Reputations:
    I do not unfortunately. How likely is this probably a power jack issue and not psu issue?

Edit: If the new psu doesn't do the trick, I guess I'll order a multimeter to check. Not sure exactly what I need to do though with one.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2017
  7. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    It's just checking rails are where they should be and nothing is shorted. It does help having electronics knowledge with it of course.

8. Aeyix

Reputations:
    I can breathe a sigh of relief. New battery and PSU arrived today. All powered on and seems good. So it definitely was the jenky PSU I had before. I'm so happy, I had been so stressed out over this. While it was down I also did a repaste job. I'm sure I have repasted since my mobo was swapped 2 years ago, if it was me, I did such a crap job lol. My max temps with a 4GHz turbo oc are down like 15-20*C and it doesn't throttle down to lower boost clocks as much nor goes as low. Apparently my RAM was under my keyboard which I distinctly remember putting in the main area so moved that back lol.

Anyway, thank you everyone for your help!

9. Josue626

Josue626 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello, guys, I'm new, I do not know yet how to create a post, so I came to ask if it was possible to use a Quadro 3000m card of an Hp 8760w in a Clevo p150em.
    Also I dont have enough privilege for most posts.
    Sorry for bothering.

10. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Guest

Reputations:
    yeah should be no problem I think. You likely need modded drivers tho.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.