Laptop or ITX

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by deanovip, Aug 13, 2019.

1. deanovip

deanovip Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    So before I use the template a little overview, I currently own a MSI GS70 2QE (I7 4720HQ, 12gb Ram, 970m) and its ok the build quality is lacking somewhat though. It does play everything I want, I could do with more storage but externals will suffice. However I was thinking about getting something new in a few months, but it has crossed my mind to build a small ITX machine instead. I sit at a desk at home with my laptop and on the odd occassion use an external monitor, or take it downstairs to a friends. I also have kids so do like to put it away from destructive hands.

So while I think I will probably go for another laptop, would an ITX be better?

1) What is your budget?

£900 - £1200

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    d. Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen
    e. Desktop Replacement; 17"+ screen
    My current one is 17" which I'm happy with but I cant decide what would be best.
    3) Which country will you buying this notebook?

UK

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    a. Like:
    b. Dislike: My MSI didnt have the best build quality but maybe it was just that one design.
    5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?

I would

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?

Gaming, Media, Light video editing, Photoshop, Encoding

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?

I would but I'm ok to carry a 17" one around too.

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? (If so, please state which games or types of games?)

Battlefield Series, New COD, GTA V, Football Manager, Cities Skylines, WOW

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?

90 mins is fine.

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?

Online is fine

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows, Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc.

Windows or nothing and install myself.

Screen Specifics

12) What screen resolution(s) would you prefer? (See further below for explanations.)

1080p or 1440p

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (See further below for explanations.)

I'm open

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?

Build quality and cooling are important to me

Notebook Components

15) How much hard drive space do you need?

SSD/HDD combo or room to upgrade, if it can take 3x drives would be a bonus.

Timing, Warranty and Longevity

16) When are you buying this laptop?
    In the next 2/3 months

17) How long do you expect to use this laptop?

3 Years

18) How long could you afford to do without your laptop if it were to fail?

Not sure

19) Would you be willing to pay significantly extra for on-site warranty, or would it be acceptable to you to have to ship the laptop to the vendor for repair with perhaps a week or more outage?

No I'm confident to repair myself

Thanks.

2. Beemo

Beemo BGA is totally TSK TSK!

Reputations:
    Build an ITX. No point in owning 2 x laptop it's just impractical unless you're planning in reselling the laptop. Also with ITX you get long term user upgrade.

3. kingofswag187

kingofswag187 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    If you can live with ITX, then ITX. If you'd prefer a laptop, then get a laptop.

4. sa7ina

sa7ina Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    LAPTOP!
    Just because it's notebookreview.com

Encryptonite likes this.
  5. deanovip

deanovip Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Thanks for the responses guys, I would be keeping the MSI laptop currently as a backup always like a spare as you never know. My two concerns with an ITX i can't just go and work in the kitchen for example like i do now at times and the kids are 2 and half so very destructive at this age. Came home to my mouse matt being coloured in and all the bits on my desk on the floor, so is a little concern. Where as a laptop I can put away, plus in all honesty when you add a monitor and similar specs you are maybe £150 less than the laptop cost, and with the 10series GPU's + performance is close to a desktop.

6. Beemo

Beemo BGA is totally TSK TSK!

Reputations:
    Put the ITX in a room and locked it when not in used then the laptop in the kitchen if you're doing work.

7. NB_Neenja

NB_Neenja Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    If you have the choice of building an ITX desktop, build a desktop. Most people who buy laptops need the portability, travel, or can't/won't build a desktop.

2c