1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

laptop Nvidia 8600 GT, are they faulty?

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by vyan, Sep 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Althernai

Althernai Notebook Deity

To be honest, I'm not entirely convinced that the DDR2 cards are even affected. I called up Micro Express (the company I bought my Compal JFL92 with an 8600M GT from) and they said that they have not heard of any problems with this. Also, something that goes wrong on the scale of years is not that big a deal -- it's not like the rest of the laptop is perfect and will last forever.

2. deathstick

deathstick Notebook Evangelist

I would hate to get in an internet argument, but I also don't want to offend you by leaving your post unanswered.
    Yes.

Not really. Once again, the defect only occurs as you said, with enough thermal cycles (above the critical temp). A considerably large number of consumers such as myself have sufficient cooling systems to not be affected (my temps have never gone above 67C) and another considerable number will use their card lightly enough that the defect does not affect them either. The affected userbase is gamers (especially that overclock) and users with notebooks that have very high operating temps.

lol, sorry about that. I was exaggerating to make a point: The userbase that wouldn't be affected by the fault are now under the assumption that the GPUs have/will fail at times when the fault doesn't affect them. Everyone is pointing fingers at the fault for all their GPU troubles.

I remember a topic on here where someone said that cards after july were fixed. I don't remember if they had a source or not.

Some notebooks had enough cooling that they don't. Mine doesn't. A few others on here as well. I recall the Dell Blog post where they stated they would cover affected notebooks for an additional year of warranty and my system wasn't listed there, so I suppose that further proves my point.

Once again, you are assuming Mr. Third Cousin is going past the critical point to build up these thermal cycles. He isn't in the userbase that builds up temps high enough to be affected.

I fully agreed with your implied point here. I have said it before (probably in another topic) that manufacturers should replace the cards on a failure and request basis. Even if someone doesn't reach those critical temps, they will still be adversly affected by the fans quick fix.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.