1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

laptop Nvidia 8600 GT, are they faulty?

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by vyan, Sep 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ArchAngel777

ArchAngel777 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Even though many things are often hyped worse than they are, the nVidia manufacturing defect is not one of those. The issue is serious and nVidia is facing difficult times as a result. It wasn't completely their fault though, as it had to do with the TSMC fabrication process.

Personally, I won't touch an 8400/8600M series... The 9600M series seems to be good, or I doubt HP would be using them, since they were the ones that first reported the issue. I would think that if nVidia didn't fix it, they would not be using the 9600M in their new DV5Ts. That evidence is not enough to provide complete proof that the 9 series mobile cards are problem free, but good enough for me.

2. matmat07

matmat07 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I know they mentioned only dell and hp, but could my 9500m gs from acer could be affected?

3. 2shot

2shot Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    what is the fault with these cards so i can check it out for my self and others know what to look for.

4. vyan

vyan Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I guess theres heating issues? I am not sure, i am still looking into it

5. simonfzhao

simonfzhao Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    No, I believe that the 9500s are the refresh of the 8600s which means that they were fixed, and run at much lower temperatures, but again, I have no proof since I don't own a book with a 9500M GS, but you can read around the forum, I'm sure it has been posted :)

Well, the fault for me would be that when I game, the temp has gone up to around 97C - 110C, and usually idles at around 75C

6. deathstick

deathstick Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    No, this issue really is extremely overhyped.

I remember ever since I got my notebook and started coming to NBR pretty much everyone was being recommended the 8600 for gaming and 8400 for light gaming. It was a solid card, great performance, etc. etc. and no one ever mentioned anything about its failure rates or any heating issues they have had that may be an anomaly.
    Fast foward to today and we know the GPUs high lead solder bumps tend to fail at temperatures above x degrees celsius and suddenly everyone's card is a piece of crap and everyone has a story about a friend/third cousin twice removed who's card exploded as he was typing a paper in powersaver mode with a notebook cooler (exaggerated but you get the point).
    That's not to say I am taking NVIDIA's side either; they shouldn't have hidden the problem and they should replace any cards that fail with good cards (Later batches have the problem fixed, I believe). Unfortunately, this will be a lot more costly for NVIDIA than this, as many uninformed consumers (such as Mr.Third Cousin) will want their cards replaced despite the fact that they probably aren't ever going to reach temps high enough for the fault to be an issue.

7. scythie

scythie I died for your sins.

Reputations:
    Lol, true. True.

Despite me owning an 8600 that's not faulty [yet, hopefully never], I'd say stay away from them. The DV5t is a nice choice, and I'm quite sure the problem doesn't carry over to the 9-series cards, even the ones that were "refresh" cards [9500 GS, 9300 G]

8. Sredni Vashtar

Sredni Vashtar Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Has it occurred to you that a failure needs time in order for the number of thermal cycles to build up. Not hours, not days, not even weeks. Months and years.

Every single card with that defect IS a piece of crap, since its lifespan is considerably shorter that it ought to be, and since the notebook designers expected a card able to withstand a certain kind of thermal cycling. It's just like putting a 486 fan cooler on a Pentium4 at 3.6 GHZ.

There is a sort of statistical bias here: the great majority of the people who ran the extra money to buy a dedicated video card did not do that to type a paper in powersaving mode. Did that because they expected to use the full power of the card.

Now, more than one year later, all the people who, in that period of time, had their card (or worse their mobos) fried are stepping out, pointing their finger at DELL (Should I mention _which_ finger?)

Unfortunately nvidia did not disclose that kind of information.
    Moreover, changing a material in an ASIC fabrication process is not like using olive oil instead of butter. Something needs to be adjusted, and money has to be spent. I an not sure that nvidia (that so much has done to cover this up, and still is not coming clean) had the will to run more money for that.

A card of that type won't reach 70°C???
    C'mon. Most system under stress have 'em run at 90°C, some even at 110°C.
    But in a way you are right: mr. Third Cousing would not build up enough thermal cycles to have the card fail under the warranty period.
    After that, he's on his own with a lemon.

And, what's worse, he knew it and saw it coming (or better yet: he heard it coming, since the bios update had the fans run all the time, eating battery life).

9. Harleyquin07

Harleyquin07 エミヤ

Reputations:
    I have yet to see my stock-clocked GPU go over 65 degrees yet (temp readings from I8kfanGUI), it's my CPU that can go well over 90 degrees instead. My GPU is supposedly unaffected because it's a really early version of the 8600, I'm not worried and don't expect to be suing Nvidia anytime soon for screwing up their production process.

In short, anyone who wants to trumpet the stupidity of the company in making defective chips has a vested interest in litigation.

To the OP: Another reason not to touch the 8600GT is that better more efficient cards are available with better performance for the same budget.

10. matmat07

matmat07 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    can we trust the temps programs shows us? Because I know my cpu can have 2 different temp depending on the program I use(one 15°C higher that makes more senses).