1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Laptop not picking up my Wireless

Discussion in 'Networking and Wireless' started by EnoRox, Feb 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EnoRox

EnoRox Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I currently purchased a laptop, but it will not pick up my wireless router. I know it works because I can get my PSP online with it, but not any of the laptops I currently own. I tried it on a WIN XP laptop, nothing. My new laptop is a Vista Home and it won't get on either. The laptop is a waste right now collecting dust.. any help? It's a Netgear MR814 v3 wireless router. Do I have to install software onto the laptop? Anything?

2. blue68f100

blue68f100 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    For testing purposes confirm that the SSID is being broadcasted. turn off IPv6 on vista. The XP should beable to see it if the ssid is broadcasted. What type of security are you using on the router? WEP, WPA(2)

Most all of the newer laptops have a key on the keyboard to turn on the radio, some are off my default.

3. EnoRox

Reputations:
    Woah.... no clue what you're talking about. How do I check all this stuff. Sorry I'm not the best in networking =(

4. blue68f100

Reputations:
    You need to log into the routers and check it's wireless settings. Can normally be found using the gateway IP address.

5. EnoRox

Reputations:
    When I log into my router ip, it brings me to my linksys router page (Linksys is my main router for the computers) I use the netgear router just for wireless (laptops and my PSP)

6. blue68f100

Reputations:
    Connect the the netgear router then and check the settings. If you set it up right as a AP it should have a static IP.