laptop lockups

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by quixcube, Jan 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. quixcube

quixcube Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello,
    Can anyone explain to me why a laptop would lock-up/freeze when performing complex 3d graphical calculations such as those in displaying today's demanding games for example (C&C generals 1400X1050X32bit). It is a 3.2 ghz with HT and 1024 mb of 333 ddr ram. In addition it has a Radeon 9600 video card which should be able to handle any and all graphical calculations.
    Thank you.

2. mythicalmenace

mythicalmenace Newbie

Reputations:
    Are you only playing the game and it locks up? Or are you running other applications while you're playing as well?

3. srdhkl

srdhkl Notebook Evangelist NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    Couple of things to look at....

Do you have the latest drivers for your video card? Many lockups are due to drivers. If you do have the latest drivers, try to go back to an older driver...sometimes certain games like certain drivers better. Also, do you have the latest BIOS for you computer? Sometimes updating the main BIOS, can update the BIOS of your video card as well.

Second, what kind of RAM are you using? If it's generic, that can often cause lockups due to instability. I've never had problems with generic RAM before, but I know a lot of people have.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.