Laptop For VFX

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by BobFX, Mar 31, 2020.

1. BobFX

BobFX Newbie

Reputations:
    Ok, I'm a VFX editor and our department is on work from home. I am well versed in the software I use but I seriously hate choosing computers. I'm not a tech geek, I know enough, but not enough. My laptop is dying, I'm on a deadline, I need a replacement this week, and I'm seriously frustrated. I'm finding a ton of gaming machines but they don't look like they can handle the kind of load I run.

And before you ask, no I don't want something with a Quadro, I have one at the office and it's okay, but I've seen my friend work on his laptop. He's got the RTX card with the studio drivers and his renders in Maya are freaking unheard of fast.

No Alienware, Dell or MSI, I have melted them all. Asus is pretty good, but it still gets pretty hot. I need something that's going to stay cool, not stutter or chug when I'm running pipelines. I mean I might just suck it up and get the same model as my friend, except last time I looked it was out of stock. So, help. I'm on a deadline here.

General Questions

1) What is your budget? $2500 tops

2) What size notebook would you prefer?

d. Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen
    e. Desktop Replacement; 17"+ screen - (Bonus points)
    3) Which country will you buying this notebook?

USA

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    a. Like: Asus,
    b. Dislike: Dell, Alienware, MSI
    5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?

No

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?

Editing visual effects. I run a pipeline in Maya, Nuke and sometimes Davinci, mostly Maya and Premiere.

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?

Working from home like everyone else right now. I need something that doesn't try to melt on me.

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? (If so, please state which games or types of games?)
    IF I had time, yeah I'd play some games. I play Fallout4 and solitaire, I'm not a big gamer, don't have time.

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?

Doesn't matter, I stay plugged in mostly. But at least a solid 3-4 hours when editing film.

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?

I prefer to get a hands on feel, but right now, not an option I'm looking for serious recommendations. My laptop is dying and I have to stay up and running.

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows, Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc.

Windows 10.

Screen Specifics

12) What screen resolution(s) would you prefer? (See further below for explanations.)

Needs to be good with 4K and up to 6K footage.

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (See further below for explanations.)

I prefer anti-glare.

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?

I really don't care right now, I want it to freaking work. I'm on deadlines.

Notebook Components

15) How much hard drive space do you need?

1TB is preferred but doesn't matter, I have lots of external drives.

Timing, Warranty and Longevity

16) When are you buying this laptop?

In the next week if I can. Like by mid-April cause I'm seriously running behind, my laptop keeps freezing and we're trying to get the shows done.

17) How long do you expect to use this laptop?

I would die for a laptop that lasted longer than a year with how I work.

18) How long could you afford to do without your laptop if it were to fail?
    I can't afford it, it's why I'm looking for a new one as my old one shudders in death throws.

19) Would you be willing to pay significantly extra for on-site warranty, or would it be acceptable to you to have to ship the laptop to the vendor for repair with perhaps a week or more outage?

I want a good warranty, I did pay for an extended warranty on this one and it's been repaired several times, I am JUST SICK OF IT.

==========

2. Techtek123

Techtek123 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I think you got a pretty good budget, would you be interest in OLED panel?

3. BobFX

BobFX Newbie

Reputations:
    No, I don't want an OLED not for what I do. I think they're beautiful, don't get me wrong, I've seen some out there, but I'm editing very large files raw and live. I need the refresh rate as much as resolution.

4. 244ever

244ever Newbie

Reputations:
    If you're looking for high performance, then probably ASUS Zephyrus, or Razer Blade Pro

5. PLiu327

PLiu327 Newbie

Reputations:
    You can look at GIGABYTE Aero laptops those are nice as well. I also like the Asus Zenbook pro but the new version seems a bit large for me to carry around, the duo screens look nice.

6. Mastermind5200

Mastermind5200 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Dell workstations are essentially unmatched in design, performance, and durability.

7. BobFX

BobFX Newbie

Reputations:
    Um, no. Not really, I've had Dell before, never been a big fan. Thanks though.

8. BobFX

BobFX Newbie

Reputations:
    You know, I just saw a review today from Laptop mag pop on the new AERO laptops, those sound really slick. They're on my short list for sure, will take a look at the Zenbook, but thinking the ProArt might be a better fit, just don't need a Quadro is all, the RTX studio cards have that nifty acceleration for the software I'm using. I gotta stop messing around and just get something pretty quick though, because my machine is sounding awful. LOL - I hate making this decision, it's a big investment and you always wonder if you're going to get it wrong. It's not just the money, but the software and file transfers, you know?

9. Mastermind5200

Mastermind5200 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Yes really. With Thinkpads you get crippling power throttling, and Zbooks are built like toys.