Laptop for Travel Blogger

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Jules Casanova, Sep 16, 2019.

1. Jules Casanova

Jules Casanova Newbie

Reputations:
    I filled out the necessary questions below and I'm open to suggestions. But I've also been researching and the two I was deciding between are below, including a quick specs detail. Honestly I learn towards the Acer but wonder if 8GB ram will be enough (not upgradable) and I question if I need a dedicated graphics card. While I can afford the MSI, I'd like to keep my value low since I travel fulltime and the incidents of theft are high. Again, I'm open to other suggestions if anyone has them. Thank you!

Acer 13.3" Swift 3.. Click to see
    - 8GB Ram (not upgradable)
    - 256 GB SSD (Nve something or other which is faster than SATA).
    - MicroSD slot that needs a pin to open (similar to phone and not a plus imho)
    - Ports: 1 USB 2.0, 1 USB 3.0, 1 USB C (can't charge)
    - 13.3" IPS Display
    - 2.87 lbs
    - integrated graphics card which is not as good for photos as dedicated

MSI 14" PS42.. Click to see
    - 8 GB Ram (upgradable to 32GB though I read it's difficult with this one)
    - 500 GB SSD (SATA, which isn't as fast as Nve)
    - SD card reader (fits my camera cards)
    - Ports: 2 USB 3.0, 2 USB C (can't charge)
    - 14" IPS Display
    - 2.68 lbs
    - dedicated graphics card. Good for photos, though I've read this one is on the lower end qualitywise.

General Questions

1) What is your budget?
    I wanted to stick around $500 because I travel full time and there is a high chance of theft. However, I can go higher. Budget isn't an issue otherwise.

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    c. Thin and Light; 13" - 14" screen
    3) Which country will you buying this notebook?
    US

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    a. Like: Acer. Honestly I'd keep my Acer chromebook except image processing is slow
    b. Dislike: None though never cared for Dell
    5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?
    Yes
    6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
    writing using google docs, editing my wordpress site in chrome, editing images using Lightroom and Adobe Bridge
    7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
    Yes, I slow travel full time.
    8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? (If so, please state which games or types of games?)
    No
    9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
    The more the better, at least 5
    10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
    Online is Ok
    11) What OS do you prefer? Windows, Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc.
    For this I'm going with windows
    Screen Specifics

12) What screen resolution(s) would you prefer? (See further below for explanations.)
    High Resolution: 1080p (1920x1080)

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (See further below for explanations.)
    Prefer Matte but not a deal-breaker
    Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
    A little
    Notebook Components

15) How much hard drive space do you need?
    256 GB min, prefer more of course. Ram is more impt. Min 8gb, upgradable

Timing, Warranty and Longevity

16) When are you buying this laptop?
    Now
    17) How long do you expect to use this laptop?
    A few years at least
    18) How long could you afford to do without your laptop if it were to fail?
    Not long
    19) Would you be willing to pay significantly extra for on-site warranty, or would it be acceptable to you to have to ship the laptop to the vendor for repair with perhaps a week or more outage?
    N/A

2. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies TG Lead Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    You're better off with a business-class notebook for travel for durability reasons. A Dell Latitude (or possibly a Vostro, given your restrictive budget) from the Dell Outlet is my suggestion. Check their deals page for coupons (see the article I linked). A Latitude 5000 or [preferably] a 7000 series is ideal.
    Aim for a 1,920x1,080 screen and a Core i3 or i5 processor. Unless the RAM is listed as LPDDR3/LPDDR4, there should be no issues upgrading it. The storage should also be upgradeable later.
    You don't need a dedicated graphics card for photo viewing. Integrated Intel graphics are fine.

Your budget is a little low for what you're asking.

Get yourself a cable lock to help prevent theft. Just check the type of slot the notebook has and get one.

Charles

3. ZaZ

ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

Reputations:
    If you don't want to spend much money, perhaps going used is worth considering? I guess it depends on how much processing power you need for photo editing. A five year old Latitude or ThinkPad with 1080 IPS screen could probably had at considerable savings and be just as robust as a new machine, though probably not as light.