1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Laptop for Middle School Student

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by zmeya, Nov 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zmeya

zmeya Newbie

Reputations:
    I need to get a laptop top for my daughter. The one she is using is older than she is, and is just too slow to be useful anymore. Right now she is just using it for word processing, researching topics for class projects, and, of course, play on the Webkinz site. I know, however, that before too long she will be putting greater demands on her laptop. No doubt she will want use it for music, photos, etc. I am trying to compromise between something inexpensive and sensible for her current needs, but something that she can continue to use for several years.

I was looking at the Compaq Presario V6500Z, but then I saw that for about $100 more I could get the, HP Pavilion, Dell Insprion or Gateway M-150. And then I tried to find out something about the different processors and graphic options. And then I got a headache, and started thinking that red laptops looked cool, and realized that I was losing perspective. What do you think?

Compaq Presario V6500Z
    AMD Athlon(TM) 64 X2 Dual-Core Mobile TK-55 1.8 GHz/512KB
    2GB Memory
    NVIDIA GeForce Go 7150M

HP Pavilion dv6500t/Dell Insprion 1520/Gateway M-150
    Intel® Pentium® Dual Core T2310 1.46GHz/533Mhz
    2GB Memory
    Intel(R) Graphics Media Accelerator X3100

2. ZaZ

ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

Reputations:
    A 15" notebook seems large for a middle school student.

3. vespoli

vespoli 402 NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    Will she be bringing it to school or is this more of an at-home computer?

I doubt that it would be wanted or even welcome at school. When I was in high school (class of 2006), no one really brought laptops to school, and the administration didn't really welcome them, either.

4. DeusEx

DeusEx Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    look at the 14 inch laptops those should suit her well. The inspirons are always good ot look at.

5. CrashOverride

CrashOverride Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi, zmeya

I wouldn't suggest Compaq Presario V6500z and Getway M-150 because of obvious reasons, on the other hand HP dv6500t is an ok machine, but has lower benchmark tests score than Dell's Inspiron 1520 (1420). So Dell's laptop would be the best option, especially because they are on sale with a $250.00 coupon or $400.00 coupon and $100.00 or $150.00 gift cards

Just go to the Dell's web site, built the system with a Starting Price of at least $1299.00 and apply coupon code 8XGG8GL7Q$019B for $400.00 off that price. You'll get a powerful laptop for only $899.00 + tax, its going to save you at least $100.00 on the price of the HP's dv6500t, also this notebook will be with top specs making it great to use for many years to come. Also you will get a free shipping and a $150.00 gift card in 6-8 weeks.

btw, welcome (Dobro Pozhalovat') to forum
    Hope I could help :)

p.s. Dell's Inspirons come in 8 diffent colors :Alpine White, Espresso Brown, Ruby Red, Midnight Blue, Spring Green, Flamingo Pink, Sunshine Yellow and Jet Black.

6. jetstar

jetstar Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Perhaps the HP Pavilion dv2500z series is worth a look.

7. zmeya

zmeya Newbie

Reputations:
    The reasons aren't obvious to me. What are they?

Thank you for the information that HP dv6500t has lower benchmark tests score than Dell's Inspiron 1520.

Finally, sorry for forgetting to say that the laptop is for at home use. She won't be hauling it to school. We like laptops, rather than a desk top, because it allows us to work in any room in the house. She can do her homework on the kitchen table, for example.

8. ihavenofate

ihavenofate Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    personally, i feel as though you can get a better deal with the inspirons. my cousins and uncles have gateways, and every single one has keys coming off the keyboard (and so did one in circuit city), so personally, i feel as though the keyboards arent that great, but it could be that my relatives and circuit city don't treat their laptops well :p. but anyways, i root for the inspiron for a better deal and better benchmark scores, if what crash override said is true.

9. CrashOverride

CrashOverride Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I wouldn't suggest Compaq Presario V6500z and Getway M-150 because they are low quality, rubbishly build and with AMD processors

10. zmeya

zmeya Newbie

Reputations:
    LOL. Short and to the point. Thank you.

ihavenofate, thanks for the info about the poor quality of the Gateways. Durability is an important consideration for a child's computer.

So it looks like the Dell 1520 is the way to go. I may be back with some configuration questions.