Laptop for graphic artists / photographers

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Sonhador, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Sonhador

Sonhador Newbie

Reputations:
    ==========

General Questions

1) What is your budget? < US$2000 preferably.

2) What size notebook would you prefer? c. Thin and Light; 13" - 14" screen, maybe d. Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen too. The lighter the better.
    3) Where will you buying this notebook? Singapore.

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like? None for now.

5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed? Probably not.

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook? Photography processing, graphic design, lightweight gaming, internet browsing, listening to music.

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both? Probably will move around with it quite often, so something light will be desired.

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? If so, please state which games or types of games? Yes, Heroes of the Storm.

9) How many hours of battery life do you need? >4 hours at lowest power settings, preferably.

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK? I'll prefer to see it before purchasing.

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows (Windows 7 / 8), Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc. Windows.

Screen Specifics

12) From the choices below, what screen resolution(s) would you prefer? Keep in mind screen size in conjunction with resolution will play a large role in overall viewing comfort level. Everyone is different. Some like really small text, while others like their text big and easy to read. (Scroll down to see screen resolution information.) Above WXGA+, HD+, 900p.

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (Scroll down to see explanations.) Matte, this is quite important to me.

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you? Kinda, though I can live with a ugly laptop that's very lightweight and portable.

15) When are you buying this laptop? Anytime during the first half of 2018.

16) How long do you want this laptop to last? Hopefully 5 years.

Notebook Components

17) How much hard drive space do you need? Do you want a SSD drive? 256 GB minimum, SSD drive will be preferred.

18) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a DVD Burner, Blu-ray Reader or Blu-Ray Burner? No.

19) I also want the laptop to have an excellent (or above-average) screen.

==========

Thanks for the suggestions!

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
  2. BeastsForever.TheDragon

BeastsForever.TheDragon Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Well assuming you require better multithreaded performance, asus gl702zc with ryzen 7 1700 8cores and 16 threads along with rx 580 4gb is best for you!

3. ZaZ

ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I think a notebook with the 8th gen LV quad cores like the XPS 13 or ThinkPad X1 Carbon would strike a better balance between performance and portability, though I've no idea what's available in Singapore.

4. Sonhador

Sonhador Newbie

Reputations:
    Yes, I'm looking for a notebook with decent performance and portability. I'm a bit drawn to the XPS series for their wide-gamut 4k displays, and I'm just wondering, will it be a good idea to purchase the older models when the latest 2-in-1s for the 13 & 15 are released later?

5. kojack

kojack Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I would wait for the xps 15 2 in 1. I am upgrading to that when it's released. I love my Inspiron 2 in 1 now, and have great use out of it for photo and video editing on it using touch, I also have the 24" infinity edge touchscreen monitor on my desk for home editing....works great too. I have like a quasi surface studio on my desk now. I do want the 15 2 in 1 however. It's the device I have been waiting for.