Laptop for a Network Engineer student

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Bigsmoke, Mar 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bigsmoke

Bigsmoke Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi all. I know that I have asked you all once before for a laptop recommendation but I was tight for cash, now I finally have the money to spend.

Laptop will be used for CCNP education, GNS3 and VirtualBox. I haven't used GNS3 much but as far as I can tell from reading forums, I would want 16GB of RAM along with a quad core for CCNP scenarios, correct me if I'm wrong.

I am mainly familiar with Dell laptops. I have been looking at the Latitude 5470 (5480 is still not available in my country) with 16GB of RAM and i5 6440HQ. I am open to other laptop manufacturers, and would love your feedback.

General Questions

1) What is your budget?

Around 1500$

2) What size notebook would you prefer?

14"
    3) Where will you buying this notebook? You can select the flag of your country as an indicator.

Europe

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?

a. Like: Dell, Lenovo
    b. Dislike: Apple
    5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?

No

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?

GNS3, VirtualBox, Office

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?

On the move

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? If so, please state which games or types of games?

No.

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?

The more the merrier

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?

I don't have to see it.

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows (Windows 7 / 8), Mac OS, Linux, etc.

Windows

Screen Specifics

12) From the choices below, what screen resolution(s) would you prefer? Keep in mind screen size in conjunction with resolution will play a large role in overall viewing comfort level. Everyone is different. Some like really small text, while others like their text big and easy to read. (Scroll down to see screen resolution information.)

Has to be FHD.

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (Scroll down to see explanations.)

Matte.

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?

Not really.

15) When are you buying this laptop?

Aso soon as possible.

16) How long do you want this laptop to last?

At least 2 to 3 years.

Notebook Components

17) How much hard drive space do you need? Do you want a SSD drive?

256GB SSD. HDD not needed.

18) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a DVD Burner, Blu-ray Reader or Blu-Ray Burner?

No.

2. KashMoney

KashMoney Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    At a computer engineering student with a focus in networks and CPU, i can tell you that portability is important to me. I just bought an XPS 13 laptop and i feel it would be perfect for you. The keyboard is nice and solid, as well as the armrest on the laptop(next to trackpad) has a fiber kind of material that makes it comfy. It also has an 8 hour battery life. Which is nice. I recommend a refurb and the link is below. With your budget you can get 4 years onsite service.

Also the Dell XPS 15 is a option. It has a 1050ti gpu and the same infinity screen. Look into that and tell me what you think about it.

Lastly, lenovo makes some nice yoga laptops that are 2 in 1 with good battery. Lenovo Carbon is elegant and exactly 14 inches. http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/x-series/x1-carbon/?IPromoID=LEN693653

and the lenovo yoga 910. http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/yoga/900-series/yoga-910/?menu-id=yoga_910
    Only problem is the battery drains fast since it has a 4k monitor but i think it gets about 5-6 hours(dont qutoe me on that).

Last one to mention is the HP Spectre x360. It rated well, but i dont like HP personally. But its one to look at. Tell me what you think about my suggestions.

3. Bigsmoke

Reputations:
    I don't like the XPS because they don' have ethernet ports as well as quad cores.

As for the yoga and the x360, I personally don't like 2 in 1 laptops and I wouldn't find any use for it.

The X1 carbon looks nice though.

Do you think a dual core is enought for GNS3?

Thanks

4. KashMoney

KashMoney Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Yea because it's more RAM intensive than CPU. So you should be fine. XPS 15 has an Ethernet port im sure

5. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    It doesn't. My Precision 5510 (basiscally the same hardware) came with an RJ45 adapter for the USB-C port. However, plugging it in makes the Thunderbolt controller wake up, which increases the power drain.

If you want something a little more portable than the Latitude 5470 then look at the 7470. However, be aware that the latter has a smaller fan (due to the thinner notebook) which has to work harder when the CPU is under load.

John

6. Critical Observer

Critical Observer Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    XPS 15 doesn't have GTX 1050Ti either, but the basic 1050 instead.

5470 with i5-6440HQ or i7-6820HQ is as portable as it gets for a quad-core machine, with a very good keyboard and good display; the biggest drawback is the lack of USB-C/TB ports.

7. nizmoz

nizmoz Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    XPS doesn't have the TI only the 1050.

KashMoney likes this.
  8. Bigsmoke

Reputations:
    Today I was at my local Lenovo store and i checked out the ThinkPad 13 with i5 6200U, 8GB RAM (upgradeable) and 256GB SSD. I like it. It has a ton of ports which is excellent (I would get a USB-Ethernet adapter), the keyboard is great.

What do you guys think of this laptop? Has anyone had some experience with it?

9. Bigsmoke

Reputations:
    For those interested, after days of looking around at local IT stores and searching the web, I finally chose my laptop.

I chose the Lenovo Ideapad 700 15". It has a very attractive price tag. I paid 864 USD for the following: Core i7 6700HQ, 8GB RAM, Nvidia 950M, 1TB HDD, full HD IPS panel. Then I added another stick of 8GB RAM, and a 250GB 960 EVO from Samsung.

I had to compromise and get a 15" laptop again, despite hating the weight, but I need performance and I was not willing to pay top dollar for a business laptop (they are really overpriced in my country).

Thank you all for helping me out :)

huntnyc likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.