1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Laptop beeps randomly

Discussion in 'Toshiba' started by pardel, Dec 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris Gnome

Chris Gnome Newbie

Help ! This seems to be a good place for help with my excessive problems with my Satellite A70 - started with a cracked LCD screen - have lost 1/3rd of the screen, but since then an open window during unexpected rain means my laptop (open and charging, but not running) was swamped. Unplugged and upside down to drain for 2 days, tried turning it on with no success - just the fans running until the battery went flat. Now, when plugged in the power and charge lights are normal (green/amber), but when I try to power on it starts and then beeps - one long, 2 short - whether I have the battery pack in or not - and when I then power off the screen actually flashes.

Can anyone advise what this beep sequence signifies ? Also, providing I am able to get the HD working again - is there anywhere in Aust I can access a replacement LCD screen.

Hoping I can get some assistance - need this for work (luckily have just bought a new desktop so can still keep going, but no longer mobile.....)

2. PierreMorency

PierreMorency Newbie

I have the same problem on my Toshiba A100 laptop. It beeps "randomly". Somehow, I don't think it is purely random. The first time it happened was two weeks ago after I converted a Word document to a .pdf document with PrimoPDF software. Some time later, it happened in this exact situation : when the conversion ended, it beeps about two seconds and the mouse is locked. I also observed this bug when my computer starts, but not all the time.

Maybe a device driver use this signal for debug pupose and the driver programmer has forgotten to remove it ? All driver executed in Kelnel space can call a system BIOS routine to activate PC speaker. It could be the video driver or even video BIOS that does that, but I trust my nVidia video software... :)

3. Dirty@mouse

Dirty@mouse Newbie

Wow!!!!! This Post Is Exactly What I Wanted!!!! I Too Have A Similar Problem!!!! While Drinking Guinness And Using My Computer... My Guinness Bottle Emits A Very Audible "clink" As I Up-end It. I Imagine It Is Sort Of Like Stan's Sound Of Water Dripping Onto Ice. Is This What Everyone Is Talking About?? My Solution Is To Not Tip The Bottle At Such An Extreme Angle, And The "clink" Goes Away!!! Hope This Helps!!!

4. mrQQ

mrQQ Notebook Enthusiast

so did anyone find a solution for the "drops of water"..?

5. bgirard2006

bgirard2006 Newbie

I have the same problem with my Toshiba laptop, sometimes beeps, I'm thinking it's overuse, I run it all day, I even get low memory warnings on some days, I'm running a Duo processor 1.6 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 160 GB HD

6. HBKiller

HBKiller Newbie

Hi Guys!

I have a Macbook Core2Duo 2.0, with Mac os and Windows, and i have the famous beep!!!! its random, it sounds like an alarm, its irritating, its the beep.

I sent it to apple to fix it, 3 weeks after it arrives and it is exactly the same.....

I am pretty sure it comes from the HD, btw the HD is indeed an Hitachi...

Anyone tried to change the HD

Good luck to us all....

7. Dospac

Dospac Newbie

The beeping is coming from the hard disk. They have an internal warning sound when they cross a specific thermal threshold. The hitachi drives run hotter and could have a lower temperature before they start complaining. The chasis fan on virtually all notebooks is not tied in to the HD temp etc, so when the drive is in use or the chasis fan is spun down due to low cpu utilization etc, then the drive could heat up and start chirping. There are a number of free and not so free utilities for pulling the drives internal stats and SMART info. I'm willing to bet the drive has a record of all those faults for those of you out there getting beeps. I'm only working on this Toshiba notebook for a friend, or I'd run more tests. He's picking it up soon! =)

8. ClickRight

ClickRight Newbie

Yeah, my drive is a Hitachi HTS541060G and I'm getting the infamous beep. I don't believe it's due to heat though, as the laptop is on a laptop cooler (with fans.) The disk is reporting a temp of about 38 degrees Celsius. The beep seems to occur randomly and it's been more prevalent lately. All disk SMART values are in tact and all disk diagnostics pass without a hitch.

9. kraz30g

kraz30g Notebook Deity

its DEFINITELY not the heat. i was sitting here working on my other computer and had my laptop on (just idling on the desktop) and it beeped and i looked around thinking it was my cell phone. the temperature has nothing to do with the beep.

10. Clairvoyant47

Clairvoyant47 Notebook Enthusiast

i have the BEEP too :(:(
    its quite rare, but its THERE...
    not the temps for sure...
    anyway i have Toshiba A200
    with Tooshiba MK1637GSX hard drive...160GB 5400rpm..

hope my beep doesnt start appearing more often :(

11. PILMAN

PILMAN Newbie

I am having the same issue on my Toshiba M65 S9092, I was given the laptop by a client of mine and it works fine, I have no performance issues, everything runs fast, no problems except a small ding on the monitor which is noticeable if tilted back.

I started noticing the beeping about a month or two ago, it would happen rarely like the power connector was loose or the battery wasn't being charged but it was being charged. It would make a low pitched "beeeeep!" for about 1-2 seconds as described here. The only thing I can think of is maybe the computer was overheating, I noticed it when the computer would become very hot, actually 2 days ago my computer overheated to where it just shut down on it's own and I couldn't turn it back on until I pulled out the Ac plug and put it back in. The only thing I can think of is maybe it's related to the harddrive?

I am clueless what else could cause it, but even when it beeps, I don't get any slowdowns, everything is performing like it's supposed to though the laptop does run quite hot.

While sitting here at work, I've noticed it beeping more often than normal, usually it will do it every few days once or twice, today it's done it about 4 times in an hour, I checked my power settings and lowered the power consumption of the cpu as well as the monitor brightness, things are still running hot but looks to be about 48-49 celsius and I have not yet heard another beep so I will keep an eye on it.

My harddrive is a Hitatchi HTS541010G9AT00. I'm thinking of running off my external harddrive to see if the beeps go away?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.